PDA

View Full Version : Song written about Marine injured in Iraq

thedrifter
04-28-08, 08:23 AM
Song written about Marine injured in Iraq
The Associated Press
Posted : Sunday Apr 27, 2008 12:33:56 EDT

MOSINEE, Wis. — A Nashville singer who has written a song about a Mosinee Marine injured in Iraq and plans to donate proceeds raised from it to him.

The song “My Friend Matt” was written about Pfc. Matthew Bradford, 21, by Sarah Sebestyen, 30.

They met at The Steakhouse Two bar in Winchester, Ky., the night before Bradford left for Iraq.

Bradford kept in touch with Sebestyen while he was overseas.

Then Sebestyen got a call a few months later from Bradford’s aunt saying he had been severely injured in Iraq.

The son of Debbie Bradford of Mosinee was injured Jan. 18, 2007, while serving in Hadithah, Iraq. He lost both legs and his left eye and suffered intestinal damage, a ruptured bladder and broken bones.

“We all thought he was going to die,” Sebestyen said.

She decided to write the song about him, and the first verse refers to the night they met.

“I had been writing these anti-war songs, and my husband said, ‘You really should write a song about Matt,”’ she said. “(The song) is neither an anti-war protest song nor is it pro-war propaganda. It’s just the truth.”

Bradford said he is doing great as he recovers in San Antonio, Texas, and is flattered by what Sebestyen has done.

“Sarah is a good friend of mine and my family,” he said. “I was very proud of the song and what she put into it.”

Ellie