View Full Version : Marine sought in series of collisions

thedrifter
04-28-08, 07:42 AM
Marine sought in series of collisions
One crash fatally injured Jacksonville woman
April 27, 2008 - 7:31PM
AMANDA HICKEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF

A woman has died of the injuries she sustained in a wreck Friday afternoon on U.S. 258, authorities said.

Pvt. Earl William Zuspann III, 20, with Maintenance Battalion, Combat Logistics Battalion 26, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, is wanted for a series of collisions - including the one that fatally injured Sally Elizabeth "Betsy" AndreAshman, 36, of Jacksonville, Trooper J.D. Kirk of the N.C. Highway Patrol said Sunday evening.

"(Zuspann) was driving a 2006 Chevrolet pickup. He was traveling west on US-258 towards Richlands. He apparently switched lanes from the right lane to the inside lane, passed two cars, crossed the center turning lane and struck a motorcycle," Kirk said.

Christopher Crawley II, who was on the 1985 Honda motorcycle, was injured and transported to Cape Fear Regional Medical Center. His condition is unknown, Kirk said.

After striking the motorcycle, Zuspann continued traveling, Kirk said. He then struck a Chevrolet pickup truck that was pulling a utility trailer.

"He kept traveling and struck a taxi cab head on," Kirk said.

AndreAshman was the driver of the cab.

"Sally, unfortunately, was trapped in her car and had to be extricated," Kirk said.

AndreAshman was transported to Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville, and later died of her injuries, he said.

Zuspann was transported to the Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital as Kirk arrived on the scene.

"He was later flown from Naval to New Hanover Regional, where he was released. I am still looking for Mr. Zuspann. He has not made contact with Highway Patrol involving this crash," Kirk said.

Zuspann was released at 7:20 p.m. Friday.

"I'm not saying he's on the run," Kirk said. "I'm just saying he may be misguided. ... He knew he was involved in a crash. He knew how severe it was."

Anyone with information regarding the accident or Zuspann's whereabouts is asked to contact Highway Patrol at 910-347-1751.

Ellie