PDA

View Full Version : Poolees, it goes quick, and im not talking about boot...

Achped
04-28-08, 02:32 AM
Just a year ago. I was a young devil pup. about to graduate high school. thought I was hot **** because I was in the DEP with my 4 best buddies. Sportin' high and tights. moto shirts. the like. A year and a half ago my buddy Accord was doing the same.

Now I'm a Lance corporal headed to Iraq in a few months. he's a lance in a grunt unit thats in Afghanistan right now. and he will be coming home a combat vet.

Remember why you joined. dig down in you to find that. trust me trust me trust me. you will need it. You will not have any motivation to continue being a Marine when you're hungry. freezing cold. and exhausted. You have no idea what you're about to embark on. and I dont say that as a scare-tactic as if to say "muhahaha. you have noooo idea...."

I'm being serious. You have no idea about anything. trust me. I thought I did. I had read every book and seen every movie, I was a dependent and had been on military bases all the time, heck thats where my doctor was located. I knew the Marine Corps...no. All I knew was its history, and stories from other people. I still don't know the Marine Corps, and I'm done with 1/4 of my enlistment. It goes quick, if you get in, don't take anything an NCO tells you for granted, don't say to yourself oh well whatever thats not how Im going to do it, or say you saw a movie and it was done differently so you're going to do it like that.

You will find yourself in a leadership position quicker than you know, and if you dont follow, you will never know how to lead. And respect the higher ranks. Dont be the one (oh how you will hear that phrase) to get an attitude with anyone whos correcting you, even if they're ranked LOWER than you. This may be a little over your heads, because you haven't even shipped to boot yet, but remember this when you finally make it to the fleet especially. You will automatically do it in boot, soi, and mos school, but especially in the fleet.

(I have no idea what happened to the punctuation on this thing, all my commas turned into periods...)

wannabeusmc2
04-28-08, 07:11 AM
thanks for the advice, we'll put it to good use.

Donut Brigade
04-28-08, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the advice, it looks like I'm going to have to find out myself.

PatriotGirl422
04-28-08, 08:01 AM
Listen to this advice, poolees. He knows what he's talking about. Especially when it comes to respecting NCO's. Even if you think that some Cpl. or Sgt. is just being an ******* on a power trip, 99% of the time they know what they're doing. If you think you can do it better, feel free to offer up your ideas, but never disregard a NCO.

TJR1070
04-28-08, 08:31 AM
You are 100% correct bro, and it's good to realize that early. It is always what you make of it, enjoy where you are in life. The four years I spent in the Marines feels now like four minutes. In retrospect it was the greatest time in my life, the best people I have ever met were/are Marines and the best times I've had in my life have been with them. I wouldn't take all the money in the world to change any of my experiences.

jinelson
04-28-08, 09:07 AM
Thanks Matt great thread with knowlege being passed down to those who follow you. I will give it a few days in Poolee Hall then move it to the Testimonials forum as a sticky for all to see.

Semper Fi

Jim

davblay
04-28-08, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the advice, it looks like I'm going to have to find out myself.

That is the exact same way Achped and Accord and a few others would have replied a year or so ago! Poolees like you all think you are ready and won't be scared....YOU WILL BE...YOU WILL BE....you'll be so scared that you will wonder what the hell you are doing in the Depot, much less when you reach the Fleet and are put on alert for deployment. But the reality hits you when you put your boots on the sand, and you look for that NCO and ask WTF? Are we really here?

As we old salts watch you guys grow into Marines, we understand what you are going thru, just like your dad knows how your turning into a man. We just know by the way you talk, the way you answer questions, the way you carry yourself in general,,,,,we know! I have seen thousands of you since 1969 and I must say that you poolees are better informed, better prepared, and better educated than we were in my day, you have the internet, and Old fools like us, that care enough to try to help you.

In letters I get from recruits, it is almost like it is scripted, not word for word, but they say the same thing. Depending on what week training they are in. I can tell in each letter that that recruit is molding into a Basic Marine, and he/she is very proud of it. In my 100s of letters I have written to recruits, it is always the same, just a different name!

Achped and Accord have grown into fine Marines, as have many others I have had the pleasure of knowing from this site. HurricaneRJ, Randall Hill, Jackson07, Bguswoody, JDNcowboy, Covey_Rider, Ianmusto, pooleejohnson, Tooks, the list goes on and on and on. But the point is that these fine Marines were where you are about a year to a year and a half ago! They will serve our Country and our Corps and make us all proud, as they always have!

The best advise I can give you, before you leave for Boot is to learn all you can from us old salts, join in the poolee chats on thursday and Sunday, ask questions, search the forums for answers. Get all the information you can first hand from us Mrines that are willing to talk to you.

Very good post Matt, Cary on, mt brother, Carry on!

Semper Fi,

Dave

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-28-08, 11:57 AM
Good Advice Motivator of Marines!

You addressed one of the biggest problems, that i see in the Marine Corps on a daily basis. Marines not having thick enough skin to be corrected, and correct themselves without an attitude.

I commend you on learning so much, so early in your career, and my only hope is that you do not forget your own words. Don't lose that motivation, and don't forget why you put on that uniform every day. Don't forget why you call your NCO's and SNCO's by their rank, and don't forget that you will some day be in their position.

Every Marine is a leader, and Matt it looks like your shaping up into a good one. Remember, don't count the days until you get out, cherish the time your in.

Semper Fidelis.
:flag:

fs19
04-28-08, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the great thread and advice. Looking forward to marching (or running or low crawling)the road myself. Stay safe [future] brother.

bgsuwoody
04-28-08, 04:49 PM
Man, Achped this is exactly what needs to be heard. It goes by fast. And hell in your situation you never know what may happen. You never know when your best plans will change and you are thrust into...

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-28-08, 08:26 PM
Achped, those are sounds words of advice.

I'll just add one thing- if you are 100% positive that what an NCO (or senior LCPL for that matter) is telling you to do is wrong, do it anyway. You can approach him and talk about it later- but do not question orders. More than likely, you're wrong anyway and you are just wasting time by questioning him.

egbutler1
04-28-08, 08:42 PM
Those are some of the finest words i have ever heard out of a Lcpls mouth or mind threw typing in this case. Not to dumb down being a LCpl or anything. Great words of advice. No matter how much you think you know, no matter how much studying you do you will learn new crap everyday sometimes at the speed of light and its all a little hard to take in so fast but you have to. Trust your NCO's they have been there and done that, 99% of the time they will not take you in the wrong direction. Keep your *****ing to yourself there was nothing worse for me than hearing people complain about simple stupid tasks. Everything is done for a reason, even cleaning your room for 9 hours in a row and cleaning up invisible spider webs. its all done for a reason. It took me a long time to realize that, LCpl G here is well on his way, smart Marine. KILL! And GL Marine keep your rifle shouldered and your eyes open for them IEDs.

Cpl. Butler, 0311 OIF combat vet

P.S. Echo_Four_Bravo
"I'll just add one thing- if you are 100% positive that what an NCO (or senior LCPL for that matter) is telling you to do is wrong, do it anyway. You can approach him and talk about it later- but do not question orders. More than likely, you're wrong anyway and you are just wasting time by questioning him."

a great point that needs to be considered at all times as well.

Covey_Rider
04-28-08, 08:48 PM
Achped...you've learned quite a lot. Some people don't know how to step outside the box and look at everything from an outside point of view. You've managed to step outside of yourself and analyze the progress that you've made and how much you've grown up. That's one thing the Marine Corps will do to you...turn you into a full grown man. Physically and mentally.

Hey and when do you ship for Iraq??? I'll be at Mojave Viper in June and then I leave for Iraq in August. Sounds like we may be going at the same time.

wannabeusmc2
04-29-08, 08:48 PM
Again i cant thank you enough for the great advice all you Marines have given myself and the other wannabes/Poolees this whole site and wise words like this is going to help us keep the tradition of being a (future) Marine.

SGT7477
04-29-08, 08:54 PM
Just a year ago. I was a young devil pup. about to graduate high school. thought I was hot **** because I was in the DEP with my 4 best buddies. Sportin' high and tights. moto shirts. the like. A year and a half ago my buddy Accord was doing the same.

Now I'm a Lance corporal headed to Iraq in a few months. he's a lance in a grunt unit thats in Afghanistan right now. and he will be coming home a combat vet.

Remember why you joined. dig down in you to find that. trust me trust me trust me. you will need it. You will not have any motivation to continue being a Marine when you're hungry. freezing cold. and exhausted. You have no idea what you're about to embark on. and I dont say that as a scare-tactic as if to say "muhahaha. you have noooo idea...."

I'm being serious. You have no idea about anything. trust me. I thought I did. I had read every book and seen every movie, I was a dependent and had been on military bases all the time, heck thats where my doctor was located. I knew the Marine Corps...no. All I knew was its history, and stories from other people. I still don't know the Marine Corps, and I'm done with 1/4 of my enlistment. It goes quick, if you get in, don't take anything an NCO tells you for granted, don't say to yourself oh well whatever thats not how Im going to do it, or say you saw a movie and it was done differently so you're going to do it like that.

You will find yourself in a leadership position quicker than you know, and if you dont follow, you will never know how to lead. And respect the higher ranks. Dont be the one (oh how you will hear that phrase) to get an attitude with anyone whos correcting you, even if they're ranked LOWER than you. This may be a little over your heads, because you haven't even shipped to boot yet, but remember this when you finally make it to the fleet especially. You will automatically do it in boot, soi, and mos school, but especially in the fleet.

(I have no idea what happened to the punctuation on this thing, all my commas turned into periods...)
Well put,Semper FI.:flag: