PDA

View Full Version : Questions for poolees

gobuffs10
04-26-08, 02:59 AM
Hello everyone. I am considering the Marines. I am 20, in college, and about to finish my sophomore year. My grades are very very far from good. School has always come very easy to me; I have always gotten by with very minimal effort on my part. I thought that I would get to college and coast through again, and, well...that's not how it works. My parents told me last week that, due to my lack of performance, they are pulling my money for tuition and rent.

I have had an interest in the military and considered joining from a young age. Honestly, I have never done anything challenging in my life. I think that means that I know very little about myself and my capabilities.

I want to join the Marines or the Army. I am meeting with a recruiter from each next week. My concern with the Marines is that it's 4 years, and I was told with the Army I can do two. The thing is, I'm just not sure I can up and leave my life for four years. The reason I want to do this is to challenge myself, learn some self-discipline, some respect, some perspective, feel a sense of responsibility, and maybe for once feel good about what I do with my time and who I am as a person. I don't want to float through life like I have done for my 20 years. Additionally, I want to get money to finish school on my own and show my parents and myself that I am taking life seriously.

I wanted to ask you all a few questions and get some advice to help me with my decision. Here goes.

1) I read that if I score high enough on the ASVAB that I get to choose my MOS. Is that true? What is your MOS? I was considering Infantry or something in Field Artillery.
2) Do you ever regret joining?
3) I read that for the USMC it is 4 years but a 2-year option is available...do you know anything about that?
4) I would need to drop around 10 pounds before joining according to the height and weight standards. Any tips?

I have been a marijuana user for around 4 years. Not daily, but enough. I have experimented with other drugs but have since stopped, only alcohol and marijuana now. Will this disqualify me from serving? I also read somewhere that LSD use within a 2-year period is automatic disqualification, and sadly that would be me too. I want to serve but obviously I don't want to lie. First off, it's dishonorable, and second, if any of that surfaces later I will be way worse off anyway.

Finally, I have clinical depression and an anxiety disorder. I have been on a light dose of antidepressants for about 4 years. Do these conditions disqualify me?

Thank you for your time, and for answering my questions. Take care.

BadJustice
04-26-08, 03:10 AM
Your recruiter can certainly answer all these questions for you better than I can.

As far as I do I ever regret joining? Not at all. Even though I am not yet a Marine, I feel the sense of belonging that the Marines offers. It will certainly help you with your motivational and self-discipline problems better than the Army ever could. You say you can't just up and leave your life for four years, but what do you have at home that you can't leave? School? Obviously your parents want the same things for you that you want for yourself. Don't let a girl stop you either, because if it wasn't for a girl, I would be a Marine right now. I let her stop me from going a while back.

Talk to your recruiters though. The questions you have about the actual joining process will be answered.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-26-08, 03:11 AM
Firstly, be honest with your recruiter about everything. Many types of drugs can remain in your system via different mediums. ie. hair, spinal fluids. Integrity is the biggest thing. However, depending on what other drugs you have tried, it is possible that you will not rate a drug waiver.

Also, in regards to the depression issue. If my memory serves me correct, you needs to wait until you have been off of the antidepressants for two years, and be medically cleared by a psychiatrist. I had the same problem when i was joining. All i needed was a signed and true letter from a doctor stating what my meds were, what type of depression i had, and how long i have been off the meds, and balanced. Hope that helps

KevinR90
04-26-08, 11:46 AM
I think first you need to find out if you're even curently qualified to join- go talk to the recruiter and tell him everything.

Once you are qualified: Yes if your ASVAB score is high enough you get to choose your job- thouh there are several things to let you know about. I say get a 70 or above and you can get most jobs. But it also depends on when you're going in. If you want to go in right away you'd probably have a hard time getting a contract that's popular.

Right now i'd say no I don't regret joining- but I'm only a poolee.

I think the "optional" 2 year contract, if there even is one, would be dependent on what your MOS is.

There are many threads here for people who want to lose weight. Simple answer: work out/ run/ do some kind of physical activity every day. But look up the threads for more info.

DGardner
04-26-08, 02:11 PM
Dear Chili...

Seyborg
04-26-08, 02:43 PM
As far as not being able to give up four years of you life...

This is the military. Tough.

If you want to be in the best branch...join the Marines.

Infantry? good. Field artillery? Good!

Your scores don't have to be AMZING high for those, so that's a plus.

Get off those anti depressants, and drugs. (You've already heard this)

Working out? I/M me at internetseyko. That I can help you with.

I've noticed something about the Army vs Marines. The Marines are better. I've never met a Marine that'll sugar coat anything, and god damn it, I LOVE IT. They won't offer you money. They offer you absolutley nothing but brotherhood. HONOR. A chance to be a part of American myth! We (poolees) are the future walls of courage. We will take the onslaught of evil so that they (civvies) may be free. What a feeling, eh? The ultimate service in my opinion. The Army guys (the ones I've met) only care about the money, job, time off. . .they are only concerned about themselves.

Now pay attention: Talk to both recruiters. DO NOT BE SWAYED BY THE ARMY man. When I was considering both branches, the army said this and that and whatever else they could fabricate about that Marine Corps. They threw money and whatever else they could!

You want to work for something? Work on getting in the DEP, the RIGHT WAY. After that worry about the Marine thing. You got this. Go for the GOLD!

THIS IS A CALLING. NOT A JOB. THIS IS A PASSION NO WORK CAN BRING. THIS IS A LIFE. I WOULD STILL JOIN IF I DIDN'T GET PAYED. JUST NEED SOME GRUB AND SLEEP.

I'm a little motivated. Sorry If I'm coming off strong.

I answered all your important questions. Take what you want. You seem like you have some potential.

-Seyborg.

crazymjb
04-26-08, 02:46 PM
The first and biggest issue is your drug use. If you are(as you should be) honest, you are likely going to run into some trouble when trying to join. Hallucinigens(sp?) are a big no-no because people can have flashbacks, which is all bad if you are in a combat environment. Marijuana is waiverable but a drug waiver will DQ you from certain jobs, not infantry or field artillery, but anything that requires security clearance.

In terms of the anti-depressents, I needed a waiver for that too, and was able to get one. If you are still on them you will need to go over that with your recruiter, as there is a period where you need to be off them. I was off them over a year when my package went up to MEPS. Still needed BUMED certification and the like. DO NOT GO OFF THE MEDICATION in any other circumstance then under control of your doctor. That will both disqualify you and can be dangerous.

About what service you should join, army or Marines, either will give you some of what you are looking for, but the Marines is inherintly a more traditional and elite fraternity.

The 2 year thing is national call to service, and is applicable in both the Army and Marines, but you have limited to no job selectability (normally you can select your field assuming you qualify for it and slots are open).

Good luck

Mike

Marine84
04-26-08, 05:06 PM
A Recruiter can answer this stuff for you better than anybody. Won't hurt to ask one.

I would think the depression and anxiety would automatically make you DQ material. At the ripe old age of 47 I take something for anxiety and I KNOW going through boot camp would make me spazz now.

gobuffs10
04-26-08, 05:21 PM
Hey everyone thanks for the replies.

Yes, I don't know why I asked about two years. I want to do this. 4 is fine with me.

I want to be a Marine, the best of the best. I have since I was young. I am off the weed, have been for a few weeks.

I don't take anything for anxiety, just a little bit to up my serotonin for the depression. I want to do this. I am going to talk to my recruiter.

As far as the hallucinogens, I did LSD twice, both times in very low doses (the first time it didn't even do anything).

Guys, I am almost certain that this is what I want to do. The big obstacle, from the sounds of it, will be getting the waiver for my meds. Luckily, the doseage is really low, I have no history of it causing any disruptions in my life (I haven't missed school, work, etc. because of it), never been hospitalized, and no suicide attempts.

Wish me luck! I will let you all know how my meeting with the recruiter goes.

David La Pierre
04-26-08, 09:10 PM
1) I read that if I score high enough on the ASVAB that I get to choose my MOS. Is that true? What is your MOS? I was considering Infantry or something in Field Artillery.
2) Do you ever regret joining?
3) I read that for the USMC it is 4 years but a 2-year option is available...do you know anything about that?
4) I would need to drop around 10 pounds before joining according to the height and weight standards. Any tips?

I don't know too much about the other things, but I know I would not want to give up 2 years of my life to the Army. I would rather use 4 years of my life in the Marines.

As for these questions:

1. I got a 98 on my ASVAB (143 GT), so I was qualified for anything (except band...). When I chose my MOS I got to make a list of 4 I would want, ordered by preference. You can only choose MOS's that you are qualified for, and in my experience most people get their first choice. My MOS is Security Forces right now, but my recruiter is going to change it to Recon as soon as a spot opens up.

2. I do not regret joining (The DEP), but I am holding myself back a little right now since I don't want to break anything or get a speeding ticket and get kicked out of the DEP.

3. No, I do not, although I have heard a mention of it somewhere.

4. I don't know much about losing weight, I would suggest long distance running though, and a diet that cuts out all fast food and focuses a lot more on fruits and vegetables.

Bullpup
04-26-08, 09:10 PM
Okay Ryan, your two posts tell me different things. If I had only read your first one then I would bluntly tell you that, in my humble poolee opinion, that you're not right for the Marine Corps. You say you want to challenge yourself and change your life but you can't hack it for four years. You say you can't leave your life for that long.

To me that says you have no determination or dedication to the cause.

Now I was going to write a much angrier post because, frankly, parts of your first post ****ed me off. However, your second post was much more motivating. Apperantly in the 127 minute between posts you found a little more motivation.

Because of this I am open to the possibility that my first impression of you was wrong. If you are serious then best of luck to you. I've never regretted it for a minute.

As for the drug thing, if you want it badly enough anything is possible.

As for the weight thing, check out the fat body sticky from accord (at the top of the topics page). You'll see that 10 or 15 pounds ain't nothing.

Again good luck. If my original assesment offended you then use it as motivation and prove me wrong.

FeMzZ
04-27-08, 11:51 AM
You cant give up 4 years of your amazing life of drugs, alcohol and antidepressants? Maybe you shouldnt look into the Army or Marines...try rehab.

pistolwhip88
04-27-08, 12:07 PM
I would recomend the movie " Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click" I would watch that just to get a climpse of what boot camp will be like, also read some book's like "Making The Corps' - Thomas E. Ricks, DO YOUR RESEARCH. Also I agree FemzZ. (not to sound like a prick)

gobuffs10
04-27-08, 04:32 PM
It's cool man you don't sound like a dick. Truthfully, however, I rarely drink, I don't smoke weed anymore, and the antidepressants thing is just low. Femmz, I didn't ask to be born with a chemical imbalance in my brain that inhibits my ability to be happy, that's just how God made me, alright? So, I will be honest, I think that's a pretty douchebag thing to say to someone, especially someone you don't know. If you were born with some learning disability or something would I make fun of you?

Also, nobody needs rehab for weed. I QUIT, I don't know how you missed that.

Bullpup, I can hack it for four years. It's simply a daunting prospect, you know? I'm sure it's something you thought about before you joined.

I sat down and thought for awhile and I came to the conclusion that no, there is nothing in my life worth holding back for. So yes, I had a slight change of heart in that time. With every passing hour this I become more and more sure that I want to do this.