PDA

View Full Version : Question About Boards

JJStone1121
04-25-08, 09:41 PM
I checked into my first duty station recently and was immediatley put on a meritorious corporal board. I did not win because they said I had lack of time in service... anyways got any tips for boards to help me out? They said I had great bearing... but I really want to wow the members of the next board... any suggestions??

RYDERKUR
04-25-08, 09:43 PM
http://leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64381&highlight=Meritorious+Corporal+boardThat should help, quite a few good suggestions I would have to believe. Mods ask that you fill out your profile too.

SlingerDun
04-25-08, 10:24 PM
They said I had great bearing...but I really want to wow the members of the next board...I'm getting mixed signals herehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

AAV Crewchief
04-26-08, 01:02 AM
I checked into my first duty station recently and was immediatley put on a meritorious corporal board. I did not win because they said I had lack of time in service... anyways got any tips for boards to help me out? They said I had great bearing... but I really want to wow the members of the next board... any suggestions??

Having been in your position you were what is referred to as CANNON FODDER (put on the board and probably at the last minute to make the others look better). Still, it's something you can say you did (going up for meritorious CPL) and use this experience for the next time you get nominated.

How are you an E-3 at your first duty station though?

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-26-08, 01:12 AM
I'm getting mixed signals herehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif That is perhaps why he did not make it

Petz
04-26-08, 01:13 AM
Long LOS guard and camp guard... I was lance at my first duty station too. don't forget MOSs can be a year and a half for aviation.

AAV Crewchief
04-26-08, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I always forget about the air wingers. Still, I have never agreed with giving rank up for a 6 year hitch. We had some guys in my platoon at Parris Island who got guaranteed Cpl for a 6 year enlistment. They caught hell as NCOs upon getting to their first duty station. None of them were up to speed in their job for the rank that they were wearing.

jackson07
04-26-08, 09:35 AM
Sergeant, Some of the intel MOS schools are longer than a year and same with the air wing. We have to meet the same TIS and TIG as everyone else. I have a 5 yr contract and was guaranted Private out of boot, that is all.

Sorry if you knew this, I just wanted to make sure.

yellowwing
04-26-08, 11:11 AM
Take more MCIs and do better at the Rifle Range.

ltmebecrewchief
04-27-08, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I always forget about the air wingers. Still, I have never agreed with giving rank up for a 6 year hitch. We had some guys in my platoon at Parris Island who got guaranteed Cpl for a 6 year enlistment. They caught hell as NCOs upon getting to their first duty station. None of them were up to speed in their job for the rank that they were wearing.

Today the highest rank you can get out of boot camp is e-3, and thats for one person, the company honor man. then its just e2s and privates. Im in for a five year hitch and im an airwinger. i expected my school to be about a year long but i was only at school for 4 months before i hit the fleet. so i still owe the corps another 4 years. :iwo:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-28-08, 08:45 AM
It is also impossible to pick up Cpl while in student status, as you are only able to be promoted to PFC and/or LCpl.

Diamonds
04-28-08, 10:19 AM
Best advise I can give you is when preparing for the Promotion Boards DON'T TRY AND BULL SHI-- them be yourself..The Board will excuse a Marine who might give them a wrong answer to a question,,,:sick: ,,but if you try to WOW or Bull ****- your way , they will see right thru you . :evilgrin: Take it from an old Marine whose been there and done that.

Semper Fi and give it your best....:flag:

Petz
04-29-08, 09:50 PM
It is also impossible to pick up Cpl while in student status, as you are only able to be promoted to PFC and/or LCpl.

you're an genius... you can't get promoted with-out an MOS!!! how the hell can they say you have a MOS if you haven't finished school!! just shut-up if really think this....(not you motivator)

I say that with love because dumb people need love too.

SSgtOfMarines
04-30-08, 07:28 AM
you're an genius... you can't get promoted with-out an MOS!!! how the hell can they say you have a MOS if you haven't finished school!! just shut-up if really think this....(not you motivator)

Explain this remark please.

MotherGoose
04-30-08, 07:56 AM

Knowledge, bearing, uniform and drill. I always had the bearing, uniform and drill part in the bag, but the knowledge is what always killed me. I just didn't like to sit in my room and study knowledge, but that is what always caused me to lose these types of boards.

Petz
04-30-08, 04:15 PM
well basically, you can't get promoted until you receive an MOS, which requires that you finish your MOS school. I've been through 3521 with an UNQ from the air-wing and he had close to 2 years from training, guards (at both schools, I was with him through almost 6 months of school guards) and school itself, well he didn't get promoted until he was given an MOS for his composite score to fall under. just like ever other Marine in the Universe... you don't have a cutting score until you have an MOS. I was just pointing out the obvious about the poster (Motivator) as being a genius for pointing this out.
Explain this remark please.

SlingerDun
04-30-08, 04:23 PM
the knowledge is what always killed me. I just didn't like to sit in my room and study knowledgeAs a tournament chess player i can safely respond "don't let your enemies know that"

--->Dave

SSgtOfMarines
04-30-08, 05:20 PM
well basically, you can't get promoted until you receive an MOS, which requires that you finish your MOS school. I've been through 3521 with an UNQ from the air-wing and he had close to 2 years from training, guards (at both schools, I was with him through almost 6 months of school guards) and school itself, well he didn't get promoted until he was given an MOS for his composite score to fall under. just like ever other Marine in the Universe... you don't have a cutting score until you have an MOS. I was just pointing out the obvious about the poster (Motivator) as being a genius for pointing this out.

You can get promoted while you have a generic MOS ex. 0300 vice 0311. How do I know? I work at an MOS producing school and I see it all the time.

While in entry level training (fresh from boot) you can pick up PFC due to time in grade and either PFC or LCpl meritoriously if you come in first in the class.

Now, picking up Cpl or Sgt is a whole other story. The only time this happens is if someone is lat moving into a new MOS. They will start falling under the cutting score for their new MOS the day they check into the schoolhouse and can be promoted under that MOS's cutting score. If for some reason they fail out of the school without attaining the new MOS (the one they got promoted under), they will revert back to their prior grade.

onux16
04-03-09, 10:43 PM
I found this really weird (SSgtOfMarines and SSgtPetzold, I'm mostly talking to you)

I know a Marine with the 9972 MOS (Aircrew Trainee) and picked up Corporal toward the end of his time at flight school. There was no lat move involved or anything. He says he "had the comp score" as opposed to a meritorious promotion... I'm assuming he was considered a crew chief already at this point?