PDA

View Full Version : I need some wisdom.

Seyborg
04-25-08, 08:32 PM
Hello again, my fellow poolees and any Marines reading today!

I'll cut to the chase: Due to some "problems (though nothing legal)" I have to change my ship date. Needless to say, because it IS near the end of the Marine Corps fiscal year, I will lose my promised field. My promised field was 58xx. I have to rework my contract. Not a huge deal to me, I'm just glad I can still go.

Contract about to be changed to: Security Forces; Infantry option, Personal Responsibility *BLANK*. I can't remember what comes next. I do know THIS: My recruiter as never lied to me. He said this "You are SF for 3 years and then infantry for 2 years. For your 3 years you will be guarding nukes." I looked at the I guess "reg SF" duty and he said well you have two options, regular where you'd be at an embassy or PR something that means I'm gona guard nukes stateside at either Maine, Colorado springs or Washinton.

MARINES: Help me out. I'm just telling you what I heard and Google or this sites yields nothing.

Again: I KNOW what SF is. I'm just wondering about this nuke guard thing. Anyone got answers?

I appreciate the help.

(my contract will be changed this monday. . .I'm researchin' till then)

-Seyborg

SlingerDun
04-25-08, 08:56 PM
Nobody can give you specs on guarding nukes because you aren't cleared yet. And then its a need to know basis, Seyborg.

--->Dave

Seyborg
04-25-08, 09:02 PM
Yes sir.

I'm not so much concerned about what day to day life is like. I think I understand that.

I'm more concerned. . . is this real.

Is 3 years stateside garenteed? I don't mind deployment, but I like that idea.

Thanks again sir!

Marine84
04-25-08, 09:07 PM
OK.............let me see if I got this right. You are willing to take a chance on dieing for your country but, you got a problem with hanging out with nukes? Or are you asking what constitutes "guarding" a nuke? I know............who would run off with one anyway, right?

Seyborg
04-25-08, 09:09 PM
No Ma'am.

I like the new MOS. That's not the problem. It just seems to good to be true

My recruiter: "GARENTEED 3 years STATESIDE TO GUARD NUKES"

Is the above true. People have told me...thats to good to be true. Just trying to be educated.

You see I didn't even know that there was a SF option that only guarded nukes.

He assures me there is.

SCrawford
04-25-08, 09:10 PM
i got the UV program contract and thats what they told me also but they also said naval bases

Seyborg
04-25-08, 09:14 PM
Naval bases eh? I thought the only nuke naval base was in Maine?

Or just bases in general.

Thanks for doing my recruiter's job guys!

I appreciate the help.

SCrawford
04-25-08, 09:18 PM
Gunny said "Youll be gaurding nukes in the desert or any naval base" but i did some research and all i know is that there are 3 MC SF bases but i have no idea how accurate that is but im assuming any naval base could mean any naval base but hey all i know is that SF school is in VA so by my guess you could be shipped anywhere in the world just keep your options open

Marine84
04-25-08, 09:39 PM
You would LIKE to guard nukes for 3 years????? How BORING could that possibly be? Hell, play with Ordnance - still goes boom but, doesn't leak much.;)

ttracker65
04-25-08, 09:57 PM
I would like to remind people this is a job you do not brag or thow out there about for security reasons. Yes there are active base's both east and west coast. Main and Washington as well as California but no need to discuss it. I do not believe it would make the base's feel any more secure knowing this topic is being discussed on the internet.

SCrawford
04-25-08, 09:57 PM
well it was either MP or wait 5 months till i could sign up for infantry. and my ass wasnt gonna wait and go thru MEPS again, already was there 3 separate days. so it was the day i was swearing in then my SNCOIC of my station came and talked to my rents about my options... everyone wants to know their options.. for me it was infantry by that time because i was DQed for MP for eye sight issues. Well Gunny went thru about 15 different contracts and programs till he brought up SF which was kinda like MP and it gave me 3 years for the political pressure of Iraq to calm down and my rents were all for it soo thats what i got. Why am i staying with it? well mostly to travel and to get something more than all the infantry life, which my cousin and grandfather went thru telling me to get something outta it. But i still cant ignore the voice inside of me telling me infantrys wheres it at so with SF ill still "get something outta it" and still be able to yell back at that voice and say hey shut up already im a grunt now

Marine84
04-25-08, 10:01 PM
Go for it if it rocks your boat baby! Do you drink much now?

SlingerDun
04-25-08, 10:05 PM
I did it on a boat and once you were trained, familiarized with the protocol and cleared you were 'sentenced' to that unit and were not FAP'ed or traded off before your pre-designated tour expired unless your unit or duty station was deactivated. If you screwed up or had mental health problems:) You were extracted and could never go back to that job and that was just fine with some non-hackers unless they later entertained ideas of pursuing a civilian career requiring clearance:( So if you were told it was a two or three year duty station, thats where you remained.

--->Dave

Agree with ttracker65, you never know who's listening.

SCrawford
04-25-08, 10:09 PM
thats another thing that ill get outta it is a security clearance

SlingerDun
04-25-08, 10:31 PM
Marine Detachments did not discuss specs and protocol even with other Marine Detachments who held the exact same job description, remember and adhere to that:evilgrin:

--->Dave

BR34
04-25-08, 10:34 PM
I think it's safe to say there's more than one or two bases you could end up going to, because I don't think the Navy would keep all it's nukes in only one or two locations. I also think it's great that we don't know these locations, however I do know one of the UV contract Marine duty stations is in Georgia.

From what I understand you're going to want to be married, have a love for video games, or be a complete loner, because all of the locations are in the middle of Nowheresville.

Oh, and you'll drink alot.

KevinR90
04-25-08, 10:47 PM
From what I understand you're going to want to be married, have a love for video games, or be a complete loner, because all of the locations are in the middle of Nowheresville.

Oh, and you'll drink alot.
I don't think anyone would have issues with any of these things..... I know I wouldn't:D

SCrawford
04-25-08, 10:49 PM
hmm sounds like my current situation...call of duty 4... drinking... workingout just living the American dream

SlingerDun
04-25-08, 11:14 PM
Contrary to popular belief we worked pretty damn hard, with encouragement from two very professional SNCO's and a gungy CO and XO. We were a tight unit but under constant scrutiny, and like i said i was on a boat so the duty was tedious but we did manage to drink ourselves silly in port :marine:

You also gotta be savvy cause all them foreigners somehow seemed to know our vessel was a floating doomsday device and would probe us for information. Wharfs foreign and domestic are full of rats trying to extract nuggets from liquored up young service personnel. Mum's the word:evilgrin:

--->Dave

Quinbo
04-25-08, 11:20 PM
I kinda skimmed it so don't know if this has been covered. It is called the personal reliability program and if you don't qualify you go straight to the grunts ;)

SlingerDun
04-25-08, 11:28 PM
After they get about two months of scullery duty outta yur sorry ass hehehhe:yes:

rvillac2
04-26-08, 02:41 AM
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/mcsfbn.htm

jrhd97
04-26-08, 05:31 AM
For the life of me why would you want to throw married into the mix with drinking and gaming. That would ruin all the fun. Just find a few good women and have fun.

Seyborg
04-26-08, 06:20 AM
Thanks for all the posts.

As far as time, I like it :)

I love to lift. . .though I don't drink, personally.

So maybe this job will be the right fit for me.

plus, the top secret clearance. That also makes it pretty nice.

jrhd97
04-26-08, 06:45 AM
If you don't drink you'll have a lot more money. Despite some of the ribbing you'll take from Sparkie, ;) and others, try to stay that way. You'll get in less trouble too. Come to think of it, thats when I ussualy found trouble :beer:

BR34
04-26-08, 08:45 AM
For the life of me why would you want to throw married into the mix with drinking and gaming. That would ruin all the fun. Just find a few good women and have fun.

What kind of women are you going to find living in the middle of no where?

:sick:

Marine84
04-26-08, 09:07 AM

OOHRAH!

jrhd97
04-26-08, 02:45 PM

Come on Marine, put your head to it. You outa know what a Marine can do when they realy put there mind to it. They are out there. Might have to look a little harder, or be willing to drive to the next town.

SlingerDun
04-26-08, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by BR34

hehehehe women that can fork a mean horse and gather a section of Oreano's, troubleshoot a chainsaw, Nail a cast shoe back on kicker with one leg scotch hobbled, winch a pickup and stock trailer out of a muddy arroyo, women who can run a 14 gauge sewing needle through saddle leather without a thimble, cook dutch oven biscuits while the men are settin around drinkin coffee and commenting on the weather, join in the camaraderie and a days work, laugh at fine boned bimbo's in town multi-tasking a text message in one pink hand and a latte in the other hehehehe.....................

Marine84
04-26-08, 04:41 PM
HAHA! And WE know you ain't got a problem with either type woman that you may find - long as the tail is split. LOL!

jrhd97
04-26-08, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by BR34

hehehehe women that can fork a mean horse and gather a section of Oreano's, troubleshoot a chainsaw, Nail a cast shoe back on kicker with one leg scotch hobbled, winch a pickup and stock trailer out of a muddy arroyo, women who can run a 14 gauge sewing needle through saddle leather without a thimble, cook dutch oven biscuits while the men are settin around drinkin coffee and commenting on the weather, join in the camaraderie and a days work, laugh at fine boned bimbo's in town multi-tasking a text message in one pink hand and a latte in the other hehehehe.....................
A decent woman.