PDA

View Full Version : Just some quick advice out there for you guys...

Whitey
04-25-08, 06:26 PM
This is more applicable for after you graduate bootcamp and mct but this could happen to poolees as well. Guys who try to claim their Marines to get things out of you. You've heard all of us talk about it and yes it does happen, I experienced it last weekend on the beach.

They refer to you as soldier, troop, any other generic military nickname for people have never been.
Its a head not a latrine
Ask them what battalion/platoon they graduated from.
Their hair cut(90% of former Marines i have met maintain a short, neatly kept hairstyle)
Piercings
The way they speak, this one is easy, just think of how we speak to eachother on this board.

The dead giveaway for me this weekend was all of the above, not to mention the guy looked like he hadn't worked out a day in his life and he was only around 28. I asked him what platoon he graduated with and he said he couldn't remember he just said "2 tours in iraq and you think i'd remember?" he said the same when i asked what battalion. He asked me what rank i was and i told him PFC to which he kept calling me private.....maybe he was army at once....either way he fails.

Always keep a vigilant eye for this trash.

harris88
04-25-08, 06:39 PM
what a **** bag i get fakes alot tho

Marine84
04-25-08, 07:19 PM
It's worse around bases I would imagine

KevinR90
04-25-08, 10:42 PM
I heard that Marines never call anyone by their rank other than what they are: such as Marines never call a Sergeant "Sarge". Is this true? I know sometimes you say Gunny for Gunnery Sergeant and Gunner for CWO5, but on a daily basis even with people you know- when you address them by rank- do you always say "Sergeant _____" or "Private First Class ______" (for PFC can you just call someone PFC_______? instead of saying private first class?)

I just want to make sure because sometimes I like this idea, I think it really shows respect for the rank, whereas "Sarge" doesn't.

davblay
04-25-08, 10:53 PM
You've heard all of us talk about it and yes it does happen, I experienced it last weekend on the beach.

They refer to you as soldier, troop, any other generic military nickname for people have never been.
Its a head not a latrine
Ask them what battalion/platoon they graduated from.
Their hair cut(90% of former Marines i have met maintain a short, neatly kept hairstyle)
Piercings
The way they speak, this one is easy, just think of how we speak to eachother on this board.

Whitey, you are right, but let me tell you a little different story:

I am sure a lot of you guys know where Tybee Island Ga. is! Well if not, it is about half way between Fort Stewart and Beauford Marine Corps Air Station and of course Parris Island. Tybee Island used to be a popular (and inexpensive) place to spend a week end, plus the military would provide trasportation to and from there for free! Anyway, in the summer of 1978 I decide to oversee the military personel, (I was volunteered to be NCOIC of conduct at the beach).

On Saturday Morning, the sun had just gotten hot and the beach was getting more and more crowded, I was talking to the local police patrolman on the beach, when I noticed a bunch of guys running along the water line, coming our way. I told the policeman that I bet him 10 bucks that they were Marines. He scratched his head and said I'll take that bet, no way in hell you could know that on the beach with everyone in swim wear.

The four guys got in front of us, I yelled at the top of my lungs, "HEY MARINES", which made them all four stop dead in their tracks, I said, "Get over here", which they came over and stood at attention. I said "How long you been in the Corps?", one answered "3 1/2 months SIR". I said "CARRY ON", and they scampered off down the beach.

The Cop asked me, as he handed me my 10 bucks, "how did you know?" I laughed and said "Who else would be running around kicking sand in peoples faces, growling and yelling Ooo-Rah and kill, kill, kill?"

So Whitey, you see, sometimes we Marines let it show what we are, even in the public! True story! LMAO ;)

Dave

Whitey
04-26-08, 07:28 PM
dave, your stories kick much-o ass-o. down here the marines like to show off their "tan belt skills" and you see numerous drunken devil rolling around in the sand yelling "just tap already".

kevin, private first class's go by PFC. staff sergeants are just that. gunnery sergeants are well.....you can call one gunny if you want without asking permission same with a master gunnery sgt and then the cwo5....its easier to call him sir.