PDA

View Full Version : MCB Hawaii assists MarDiv Marines with creation of martial arts instructors

thedrifter
04-25-08, 08:38 AM
MCB Hawaii assists MarDiv Marines with creation of martial arts instructors
Lance Cpl. Tyler J. Hlavac

CAMP SCHWAB, Okinawa (April 25, 2008) -- The 3rd Marine Division's Marine Corps Martial Arts Program received a needed boost April 18 with the graduation of 27 Marines from a MCMAP instructor course here.

The Marines, all from various units within 3rd MarDiv, spent three weeks completing the mentally and physically challenging course to become instructors at the green, brown and black belt level.

The instructor course was taught by three instructor-trainers from 3rd Marine Regimental Schools based at Marine Corps Base Hawaii. The Hawaii Marines were brought in to help the Division meet its current MCMAP goals, said Gunnery Sgt. Eric Johnson, a black belt instructor-trainer and the director for the 3rd Marine Regimental Schools' Instructor Course.

According to Johnson, the Division lost many of its MCMAP instructors due to recent deployments to Afghanistan. Without enough instructors, the division was hard pressed to meet the MCMAP objectives set by the commandant of the Marine Corps, Johnson said. The commandant directed in All Marine Message 034/07 that all combat arms Marines have a grey belt by the end of 2008 and all infantrymen have a green belt by the end of 2008.

Johnson said that with the new instructors, he is completely confident about the future of the 3rd MarDiv MCMAP program.

The course was a challenge for the Marines as they had to learn how to balance the mental and physical disciplines of MCMAP, said Sgt. Tyrell Hicks, the heavy equipment operations chief for 12th Marine Regiment and new green-belt instructor.

"I originally decided to be an instructor because I wanted to challenge myself and help advance my own Marines," Hicks said. "In addition to learning MCMAP moves, we were always doing some form of physical training and learning about leadership. There were some pretty tough days, but we all pulled together as a team, motivating and pushing each other on."

Johnson said all the Marines did very well, and he is certain each will benefit from the program along with the division overall.

"The Marines really built on their confidence as well as their mental and physical leadership skills," he said. "These Marines, especially the junior noncommissioned officers, are going to go back to their units as better leaders."

Ellie