PDA

View Full Version : Township honors Marines in Iraq

thedrifter
04-25-08, 07:38 AM
Township honors Marines in Iraq

By DANNY ADLER
Bucks County Courier Times

Northampton honored two Marines recently deployed to Iraq at a flag ceremony during the board of supervisors meeting Wednesday night.

Two flags honoring Cpl. William O'Hara, serving his second tour in Iraq, and Lance Cpl. William Parks, both of Northampton, were put on display in the township building's meeting room. Since both men are serving, family members were on hand to join in the ceremony.

The flag presentation tradition began in 2003. The township honors its active duty soldiers by placing a military flag in a display in the municipal building. The flag contains a yellow streamer with the soldier's name written on it.

Upon safe arrival home, the supervisors return the military flag and replace it with an American flag.

So far, 45 of 51 soldiers deployed have returned home safely. Sadly, Army Pfc. Robert H. Dembowski Jr. was killed in action in May 2007.

“I thought the last time I was here would be my last,” Rita O'Hara said, referring to the flag ceremony held when her son came home from his first tour of Iraq.

“Keep them all in your prayers,” said Michele Parks, William Parks' mother.

The board of supervisors later in the meeting gave a nod for its newly formed veterans advisory committee to move forward with plans to dedicate a park at Second Street Pike and Almshouse Road in honor of Dembowski and all veterans.

“This is something this board has been firmly behind,” supervisors Chairman George Komelasky said.

Some residents thanked the board for moving along plans for the Robert H. Dembowski Jr. Memorial Park.

Others asked that the memorial be done in a way that ensures all fallen veterans are honored.
Danny Adler can be reached at 215-949-4205 or dadler@phillyBurbs.com.

April 24, 2008 5:09 AM

Ellie