PDA

View Full Version : Why did my pay just jump $300...a paycheck?

Achped
04-25-08, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't care, but knowing that Uncle Sam gets his money back if he makes a mistake means I should find out before I go blow it on something stupid.

I did just PCS to Hawaii, but COLA there is only 289 a month, and my pay just increased about $640 a month. Whats gives? Any clues?

Quinbo
04-25-08, 02:45 AM
Good idea not to spend it till you figure it out. Best bet is to go to your Sgt or S-1 and ask. Maybe you rate it and just don't know the reason. If you don't it will be discovered and you will one payday get a check for $2 LOL

Big Jim
04-25-08, 06:35 AM
Good idea not to spend it till you figure it out. Best bet is to go to your Sgt or S-1 and ask. Maybe you rate it and just don't know the reason. If you don't it will be discovered and you will one payday get a check for $2 LOL

This is absolutely right! If our beloved Corps makes a financial mistake and overpays you...they won't take it back in the increments in which they paid you...they'll take it back ALL AT ONCE!!! Even if it means you won't get paid until that debt is ALL satisfied! Go straight to your S-1 payroll and ask them whats up with your pay...take a copy of your LES and show them!! This doesn't sound right at all.

Marine84
04-25-08, 07:31 AM
Well.............the promotion, COLA..............what else you rate?

You're in HAWAII!!!! OOH, OOH, OOOH, - I want a pic of you in a grass skirt, strumming a yucalali (?) doing a hula!!! Text it to me - LOL!!!!!

Go................take care of it NOW!

Old Marine
04-25-08, 08:12 AM
Best head to the Disbursing Office immediately. Suggest you have someone other than your regular pay clerk figure it. You regular clerk could make the same mistake over and over again.

davblay
04-25-08, 09:02 AM
Good thing you asked Matt some people would have went out and partied there ass off with that much extra money. Like my learnd Comrades have told you, go to dispursing and ask them to explain it to ya, if they come up with the same thing then ask to speak to te dispursing officer, if he agrees then I would say spend it! But be caucious as Bulkyker said if there is a mistake they will take it all back at once, so you don't want to let it build to high before you say something about it. Your Gunny or 1st Sgt might be the best place to start tho. They like to know what is going on.

Good luck BIG FOOT,

Dave

zx6rdr
04-25-08, 09:27 AM
As stated before- Go to dispursing, but to add to davblay if the clerks and the officers all say it is good to go- Get it in writing, that way when you do get a NPD it isnt a he said she said game!!!!!

crate78
04-25-08, 10:07 AM
I'd check with Disbursing immediately.

I once drew $150 at an Air Force base, then contrary to what I'd expected, my pay from the Corps came as normal and didn't reflect the $150. I checked with Disbursing and was told the Air Force had made an entry about the $150, but didn't sign it off as actually having been paid. They advised me all I could do was wait until it got from Air Force accounting into Marine Corps accounting.

It was almost two years before it caught up. By then I'd done a tour in the Far East and was back in "B" School in Memphis. I got a message one morning to see a certain Corporal in Disbursing at noon. It had caught up. I signed an agreement with the Corporal to have $75 deducted from my pay for each of the next two paydays, and thought that would be the last of it.

Not so! During the afternoon, I got a message to see the Sergeant Major after school. He had it all balled up and thought it was a civilian debt that my pay was being garnished for. I told him the story several times and finally got him convinced.

The next morning, I got a message to see the Colonel at noon. The Colonel was concerned that a $75 deduction from two paychecks would create a financial hardship. I had to convince him that I was single, I didn't have a wife or kids that would starve, and that I could afford $75 per payday for the next two.

I never thought $150 could cause that much commotion. I'm not even sure how the Sergeant Major and the Colonel got wind of it.

crate

usmchauer
04-25-08, 10:11 AM
Could it be your yearly uniform allowance? Look at mypay at your most recent LES. See if your next paycheck, "forecast pay amount" is the place to look, projects the same $300 raise.

Achped
04-25-08, 10:07 PM
I don't know what it is, I'm next to a pfc now who's MOL says his May 1st Check will be 1012$...and no he's not married, and he's not a lance, but he is checking into Hawaii with me...so...maybe its COLA? But still, why would his COLA be more than mine?

I'm leaving the USO here in honolulu soon, I'll ask on Monday when everyone's there.

Achped
04-25-08, 10:09 PM
Oh, and Marine84, your number doesn't work anymore.

jrhd97
04-26-08, 05:38 AM
It could be the new rebate coming early to the military. I know our pastor got his already.

When did the uniform allowance go to $300? We did good to get one pair of utilities and one pair of leather boots out of what they gave us for a uniform allowance.

Marine84
04-26-08, 08:07 AM
Oh, and Marine84, your number doesn't work anymore.

Yes it does...............I do owe you a call, don't I? If you got some kind of recording must have been a fkd up signal. I want that picture! LOL! I ought to call you right now when it's what? 0300?

Ooh, ooh, ooh! We need to talk anyway - there's an Ordnance Officer over there that I would just LOVE to use you to play a joke on him! It's worth $50!

Call me when you get up - we got a mission to plan.

bgsuwoody
04-26-08, 09:01 AM
Did you hit your year mark to stop paying into the GI Bill too, this could be a small amount of it...

Achped
04-26-08, 11:59 AM
No, that'll be my June 15 paycheck the gi bills done with, those other two pfcs are getting huge pay increases too, so I dont think its just me. COLA here is only like 130 a paycheck.