PDA

View Full Version : I'm considering a lat move, but I'm stuck

REDR6
04-24-08, 08:19 PM
I have been considering a lat move for a while now. I have my choices narrowed down to eod, counter-intel, or recon. Everyone that I talk to says that their field is the best. (obviously) When I talked to the CI recruiter, he was able to tell me that I would be doing alot of stuff, but he couldn't tell me what most of it was. The eod guys that I talked to liked their job, but were quite unhappy with the current state of affairs. (they were moved from mef to esb and really aren't happy there) I want to go the recon route, but I also want to broaden my horizons a bit. Basically, I want to be able to put more on my resume than just being really good at grunt stuff. So here I sit at my road with 3 forks, clueless about which direction to head in. Does anyone have any helpful insight?

Petz
04-29-08, 09:56 PM
bad move if you can't get a guarenteed promotion out of it.... remember MOS Credibility... are you really a Sgt? come on man, recon won't give you a promotion but counter-intel might and so might EOD.... think of fast paced MOSs for a lat-move, but check their promotion stats. and you can always go talk to them during chow to find out what their jobs consist of or since you're a Sgt just leave...

I have been considering a lat move for a while now. I have my choices narrowed down to eod, counter-intel, or recon. Everyone that I talk to says that their field is the best. (obviously) When I talked to the CI recruiter, he was able to tell me that I would be doing alot of stuff, but he couldn't tell me what most of it was. The eod guys that I talked to liked their job, but were quite unhappy with the current state of affairs. (they were moved from mef to esb and really aren't happy there) I want to go the recon route, but I also want to broaden my horizons a bit. Basically, I want to be able to put more on my resume than just being really good at grunt stuff. So here I sit at my road with 3 forks, clueless about which direction to head in. Does anyone have any helpful insight?

UsmcMotorT
04-30-08, 07:07 AM
I believe CI's promote rather quickly. Not to many in that MOS.

Petz
04-30-08, 04:22 PM
well this is true because they take what they learned and get out to make way more money. I just told the Marine to look into the promotion potential before commiting his future on it.

ttracker65
05-03-08, 06:09 AM
Marine I would hope that you would consider Chosing an Mos that your interested in and that will move in your Career. Fast promotions and bonuses mean nothing if you are unhappy for 4 yrs

Tommyb4485
05-03-08, 08:29 AM
Im a 0151, Admin (POG) I hear it all except when it comes to a grunt wanting to know when he's going to get promoted.. But think of the bigger picture... EOD, hmm How will this benifit me?? How many jobs do you know of in the real world besides the "Bomb Squads" that handle that kind of material??? I would choose a MOS that will give you time to work on a degree as well.. Ive Been in 5 years and and 3 quarters of the to my bachelors... Life expirence is no longer acceptable in our world, it is education... Just my opinion... Semper Fi,

Sgt B

SGT7477
05-03-08, 11:43 AM
Im a 0151, Admin (POG) I hear it all except when it comes to a grunt wanting to know when he's going to get promoted.. But think of the bigger picture... EOD, hmm How will this benifit me?? How many jobs do you know of in the real world besides the "Bomb Squads" that handle that kind of material??? I would choose a MOS that will give you time to work on a degree as well.. Ive Been in 5 years and and 3 quarters of the to my bachelors... Life expirence is no longer acceptable in our world, it is education... Just my opinion... Semper Fi,

Sgt B
You need to fill out your profile completely.:flag:

mcvet57103
05-03-08, 12:59 PM
Computers are the future. Everything will be computer driven eventually. I would look into MOSs with computer training. 04s, 06s,13s,25s,28s,59s to name a few. Try this site for more info: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm Good luck Marine.

REDR6
05-03-08, 04:26 PM
bad move if you can't get a guarenteed promotion out of it.... remember MOS Credibility... are you really a Sgt? come on man, recon won't give you a promotion but counter-intel might and so might EOD.... think of fast paced MOSs for a lat-move, but check their promotion stats. and you can always go talk to them during chow to find out what their jobs consist of or since you're a Sgt just leave...

Are you talking about an instant promotion for finishing the school? I'm pretty sure that there aren't any lat moves that guarantee that if I go to the school as a SGT. Yes, I really am a SGT by the way. Also, I can't just leave during lunch, I am in a company with 6 officers, 8 SNCO's, 173 NCO's and 3 LCPL and below. Being a Sergeant here doesn't really mean much. As for the computer related lat moves, yeah, no thanks. I made it easy and narrowed it down to three choices. Thanks anyway guys.

mcvet57103
05-03-08, 05:59 PM
Are you talking about an instant promotion for finishing the school? I'm pretty sure that there aren't any lat moves that guarantee that if I go to the school as a SGT. Yes, I really am a SGT by the way. Also, I can't just leave during lunch, I am in a company with 6 officers, 8 SNCO's, 173 NCO's and 3 LCPL and below. Being a Sergeant here doesn't really mean much. As for the computer related lat moves, yeah, no thanks. I made it easy and narrowed it down to three choices. Thanks anyway guys.
Wish I could be more help. And by the way, Thank you for your 3 tours. Semper Fi

Petz
07-25-08, 11:59 AM
Marine I would hope that you would consider Chosing an Mos that your interested in and that will move in your Career. Fast promotions and bonuses mean nothing if you are unhappy for 4 yrs

and doing what you like means nothing if you get forced out after 13 years.

great idea to sabotage your own career.

Petz
07-25-08, 12:01 PM

no I really meant fast promotions... some MOSs are NCO only like the ones you picked and they don't hold it against you for not having MOS credibility so go for those and you're golden....

I was more mentioning it for anyone else who had that idea....

I didn't mean anything about "are you really a sgt..." I was trying to be sarcastic and a bit of a smart ass... didn't work so well.

Semper Fi Brother.