PDA

View Full Version : Squared away uniform tricks...

GolfingJarhead
04-24-08, 03:21 PM
I just replied to another member's post about sleeve rolling and it got me thinking. Who here remembers their old "tricks of the trade" for squaring away your uniform?
My biggest memories are:
1. Mop'n'Glo on your boots to shine them up
2. Cutting off the buttons on your pockets and then sewing them flat.
3. Taking your cover to Mama-san in Oki for the cement-like starch treatment (I got out in 2002 and my woodland cover is still hard as a rock).

Ahh....the memories!

Share yours!

darkgreen0311
04-24-08, 06:30 PM
Windex on the patent leathers a small piece of cardboard placed behind your charlie shirt to keep the medals straight.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

ecfree
04-24-08, 09:06 PM
On "The Rock",all our utilities were starched rock hard.
You had to be careful about the scivie draws.
We used a thing called ,five day deoderant pads,on our dress shoes.You need a 2nd pair,just in case.:)

Artemis
04-24-08, 10:22 PM
These were all great things back when the utilities were made for that kind of thing. With the new rough side out boot and the wash and wear camis its not necessary. The piece of cardboard behind the ribbons/medals is still good though.

Zulu 36
04-24-08, 10:23 PM
Windex on the patent leathers a small piece of cardboard placed behind your charlie shirt to keep the medals straight.

They make nice thin plastic ribbon backers now too. I used them in the Air Guard and as a police officer. Better than cardboard, especially when you're sweaty.

ltmebecrewchief
04-24-08, 10:25 PM
instead of cardboard ive use a small piece of web belt leftover from when i cut it to back my ribbons and shooting badge.

JimmyK
04-24-08, 11:26 PM
What works better than the card board or web belt is a ear plug cut into two pieces. Put one each on each post of the backer and then you don't have to worry about the corners of the cardboard poking out after a few hours.

Quinbo
04-25-08, 04:14 AM
When you are in garrison and doing your laundry, grab a book and stand by the dryer and the second the dryer stops pull all your cammies out and neatly fold them before they cool. Do it right and they look like they have been pressed.

Duraglit will take a scuff off of chorfams.

darkgreen0311
04-25-08, 04:46 PM
I remember also seeing guys take a whole roll of toilet paper and hold it inside of their covers and take a hot iron and iron the top of the cover. I guess it was a way to make the top of the cover firm on top and not sink in the middle i never understood why they did it.

Whitey
04-25-08, 06:17 PM
they make inserts for the covers now. i know i haven't been in long but a trick before i bought the springs for blousing my boots was tie 2 bands together

SlingerDun
04-25-08, 08:08 PM
Floor wax on the black boots looked like hell if you didn't prep the leather first. A few students at sea school received scowls and demerits when instructors noticed scuff marks and debris underlying a curious glossy finish. They strongly recommended stripping and spit shining before 0400 reveille hehehehe:marine:

Achped
04-27-08, 12:02 AM
Six shirt stays on the charlie shirt, if it fits properly, makes it almost look tailored to your body. No wrinkles, no nothing. I was getting compliments all day on graduation day of my MOS school, my nickname was "Crisp" :cool:

Whitey
04-27-08, 10:08 AM
i actually recently heard about it and thought about doing that myself.

jinelson
04-27-08, 11:37 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/files/2/1/7/0/ProjectSoar.JPG

Rock hards were very uncomfortable in the summer and to be squared away a fresh set of boards was needed for each day. As I remember it cost about a buck per set. It was money well spent because it showed up on pros and cons and fitness reports.

Jim

mrbsox
04-28-08, 12:15 PM
Six shirt stays on the charlie shirt, if it fits properly, makes it almost look tailored to your body. No wrinkles, no nothing. I was getting compliments all day on graduation day of my MOS school, my nickname was "Crisp" :cool:

... do you mean the 'garters' ??

Two things I hate, are shirts that won't stay DOWN, and socks that won't stay UP. So.. hook them together !! :banana:

I wear the garters all the time.... pi$$es the C.O. off to... cause my t'shirt is tucked in (if that's what I'm wearing). In the office, still sharp and squared away, all day long.

Oh....... and ... watch the 'gig' line !!!!!!!!!

Diamonds
04-28-08, 02:51 PM
Well back in the early '60 we would take our Tropical Shirts and soap the inside on the creases and then iron them on the outside.:evilgrin: Made the crease as share as a razor. And talking about A razor .we would take our wool trousers on the ironing board and shave them down so they would be thinner , then turn them inside out and soap the creases and iron them the same way.

That's how it was done in the OLD CORP.....Semper Fi...Marines:iwo:

Phantom Blooper
04-28-08, 03:16 PM
Kotex in your arm pits to absorb sweat!:evilgrin:

ZSKI
04-28-08, 03:27 PM
Well back in the early '60 we would take our Tropical Shirts and soap the inside on the creases and then iron them on the outside.:evilgrin: Made the crease as share as a razor. And talking about A razor .we would take our wool trousers on the ironing board and shave them down so they would be thinner , then turn them inside out and soap the creases and iron them the same way.

That's how it was done in the OLD CORP.....Semper Fi...Marines:iwo:

Just normal bar soap?

Cequel
04-28-08, 05:09 PM
Where do you attach the extra 2 shirt-stays? That HAS to be even more comfortable. I use the ones that go around my heal instead of locking onto the top of the sock.

GolfingJarhead
04-29-08, 12:13 PM
Another one I just remembered was using a paperclip on the end of the web belt to help it stay in place. That, and having the first belt loop adjusted to be in the correct place.

Have the bootcamp issue shirts gotten any better? I was going through my stuff the other day and pulled out one of my creigtons and a boot issue shirt. Man, I can't believe I ever wore one of those paper shirts!

drillinstructor
04-29-08, 01:27 PM
Whenever you have to place ribbons and badges on your uniform, take a clear piece of ½ inch tape and tape it exactly following the seam line of the pocket. You will then place the ribbons on first on the line of the tape which will be ½ inch. Pull the tape off and then add your badges and you will be perfect.

kbs95125
04-29-08, 06:14 PM
Another one I just remembered was using a paperclip on the end of the web belt to help it stay in place. That, and having the first belt loop adjusted to be in the correct place.

Have the bootcamp issue shirts gotten any better? I was going through my stuff the other day and pulled out one of my creigtons and a boot issue shirt. Man, I can't believe I ever wore one of those paper shirts!

The new ones have fishing line in the shirt to make the creases stay longer ("permanent" creases), but the problem with that is you can't iron it last minute if needed because it will melt the fishing line.

Matt Brzycki
04-29-08, 06:25 PM
When I was on the drill field in San Diego from 1978-79, some of the DIs used to spray their covers with Scotch Guard. The idea was that in the event of rain, the water would never soak through. Rather, it'd just bead up and run off. Never tried it as I was afraid the Scotch Guard would leave some kinda stain. Some DIs also used to turn their shirts inside out and spray them with Scotch Guard. Here, the idea was that sweat would never show around the pits. One DI used to tell a story where he'd get all Scotch Guarded up (cover, shirt, trousers) then go in the shower and yell at the recruits. He said he stood there under a shower head while it was running and never got wet. This would leave the recruits with dropped jaws.

Garters were pretty much standard issue. We'd wrap them around our legs so you couldn't see the straps when your legs bent. Was really uncomfortable at first but you got used to it.

Another thing we used to do is wear our T-shirts backwards (without the tag, of course). The reason was that - at least back then - the front collar of the T used to sag a little. Looked very sloppy. You wear it backwards and the collar was nice and high and never sagged.

We also used to get our shirts tailored at the waist (and for our short-sleeved shirts, the arms) to make them form-fitting. Sometimes the shirts were so form-fitting that you barely had to blouse them in the back. Dunno if they still do that anymore.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Whitey
04-29-08, 07:24 PM
The new ones have fishing line in the shirt to make the creases stay longer ("permanent" creases), but the problem with that is you can't iron it last minute if needed because it will melt the fishing line.

i iron mine and they look crisp

egbutler1
04-29-08, 08:37 PM
i'd put starch on my pants and shirts right on the creases and iron them so they'd be sharp, but i messed up plenty of dress uniforms before i got that right.

kbs95125
04-30-08, 05:28 PM
I never tried to iron mine, but I remember a kid in boot camp had his line melt from the iron. I just bought nicers shirts after boot because the dry cleaner I go to only charges me $30 to clean and...

SlingerDun
04-30-08, 06:59 PM
When I was on the drill field in San Diego from 1978-79, some of the DIs used to spray their covers with Scotch Guard. The idea was that in the event of rain, the water would never soak through. Rather, it'd just bead up and run offScotch Guard, Camp Dry, Camp Kote and other silicon based products are designed as a topical to prevent stains and leaks. If you wanna turn both rain and sweat, spray both sides of the fabric, complete saturation is an expensive waste unless its Thompson's Water Sealhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif It's what cowboys been using on hats, leather, cotton canvas...for decades. A quality felt hat saturated with TWS until it can hold no more product will take about 4 or 6 days to dry and another few days for the chemical smell to dissipate then your set. The wax is impregnated and will turn rain and sweat day and night for months or years? When its cold the hat will stiffen hard, in the heat the wax tends to soften
and the hat gets kinda floppy, probably not ideal for a DI. It does all the above with leather boots and tightly woven cotton.

--->Dave

CplKJSpevak
05-16-08, 05:15 AM
Them garters took some getting used to, they make you feel like something bad was going to happen.....a little thing my DI taught was have a tackle box full of extra's...ribbons,chevrons,belt buckles stuff like that....never wore the belt I wore with cammies with charlies and stuff...I wound up having a whole seperate set of clothing just for inspections...

DI DAN
06-12-08, 12:06 AM
When I was on the drill field in San Diego from 1978-79, some of the DIs used to spray their covers with Scotch Guard. The idea was that in the event of rain, the water would never soak through. Rather, it'd just bead up and run off. Never tried it as I was afraid the Scotch Guard would leave some kinda stain. Some DIs also used to turn their shirts inside out and spray them with Scotch Guard. Here, the idea was that sweat would never show around the pits. One DI used to tell a story where he'd get all Scotch Guarded up (cover, shirt, trousers) then go in the shower and yell at the recruits. He said he stood there under a shower head while it was running and never got wet. This would leave the recruits with dropped jaws.

Garters were pretty much standard issue. We'd wrap them around our legs so you couldn't see the straps when your legs bent. Was really uncomfortable at first but you got used to it.

Another thing we used to do is wear our T-shirts backwards (without the tag, of course). The reason was that - at least back then - the front collar of the T used to sag a little. Looked very sloppy. You wear it backwards and the collar was nice and high and never sagged.

We also used to get our shirts tailored at the waist (and for our short-sleeved shirts, the arms) to make them form-fitting. Sometimes the shirts were so form-fitting that you barely had to blouse them in the back. Dunno if they still do that anymore.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

I used to do all of those things. I especially liked standing in the showers as a 3rd. HAT and stressing out my pigs! They worked great:evilgrin:

DI/SDI Sgt. Printz MCRD PI 1st. Rec. Trn. Bn. A Co./C Co. 1988-1990

Big Jim
06-12-08, 06:07 AM
I Stood Many A Cg's Inspection With Junk On The Bunks With 782 Gear And Weapon...all I've Heard The Tricks Being Mentioned Here But What I Haven't Heard Is About The Boot Heels. I Remember A Sgt. Major Who Inspected Me Along With A Lt.col....he Put My Spit-shined-by Hand Boots On A Small Table And Rolled A Pencil Underneather The Heel Because The Heel Was Wore Down Some. The Sgt. Major Looked At Me And Showed Me The Boot Heels And Said, "these Boots Are Unserviceable, Cpl.!! You Need New Boots!!" And Of Course everyone was Gigged For Irish Pennants!! Not One Marine Got Through That Inspection Gig-free!!!

The Point Is...keep You Boot Heels Fresh And New...especially If Your Standing A Cg Inpsection!! I Learned After That One To Buy All New And Wear The Stuff Just A Bit And Leave It All Alone And Keep It Just For Inspection!!! You Don't Want To Display Brand New Equipment.

Old Marine
06-12-08, 08:43 AM
They make nice thin plastic ribbon backers now too. I used them in the Air Guard and as a police officer. Better than cardboard, especially when you're sweaty. They have had those for at 35 years. Available in PX.

Old Marine
06-12-08, 08:54 AM
Used to spray my Campaign Hat with hair spray and put it in the cover block. The brim was very stiff unless it was raining and when it rained the hair spray ran into my eyes. A trick to blousing utilities used to be springs with the 7.62MM slug removed from the shell and put inside the spring for weight. Usually took about 10 of them. The weight kept the trousers nice and tight where they were bloused. The problem was that when you walked, they rattled. Also used pledge on the cor-fam shoes.

Chumley
06-12-08, 09:46 AM
I kept an extra Charlie shirt especially for Boards. It had been pressed to perfection. The best solution would have been to have it tailored, but I improvised. I actually stapled the creases / folds into place, below the belt line of course. That, along with the shirt suspenders made it almost inpossible to come undone during a Board. Since this basically ruined the shirt, definitely unservicable, I would take it off and hang it up immediately afterwards, so that it was ready to go next time.

I still wear the shirt suspenders for all dress shirts...I just feel unsat without them....15 years later. OOORAH

SFi
C

Crusader20
06-12-08, 10:05 AM

I used a small piece of the Brown Web belt. Held the medals in place and blended in with the shirt.

Quinbo
06-12-08, 12:15 PM
I seem to recall just the opposite when it came to Job's. We were gigged if the soles and heals looked brand new. It was better to have walked around in them for a few days, then get started your master piece spit shine.

When I worked in the company police shed... I had to stand next to the company tool kit for inspection. This chisel has been sharpened, gig. This hammer has imprints of nail heads on the face, gig. On and on.

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
06-12-08, 01:04 PM
Do What I Did Spend The Hole Weekend On Your Cammies And A Ton Of Stayflow. You Could Hear Me Walking They Were So Stiff.....lol....other Marines Would Ask Me To Do There Cammies For Boards.....lol

RLeon
06-12-08, 01:20 PM
There was this guy in my platoon that used starch mixed with wood glue to iron his cammies and civvies...his cammies were hard as plastic and looked like crap, all shiny and stuff.

DevsDad
06-16-08, 01:48 PM
Thought I'd post this here it kinda fits.. we just got back from a visit to our Marine stationed at the 8th & I in D.C.. Before the Evening Parade on Friday we were able to hang out in Devs room on his deck. The guys were all wrapping wide masking tape around their waists several times (over the waistband of their trousers and about 6 inches up their undershirts) so I asked Dev whats with that. He said it not only helps them look even more tapered than they already are but helps their backs while they are standing so long. Was funny... they write little sayings on the tape, some of them very imaginative! I asked him if he would like one of those back support straps and he said nope.. Dad we Marines Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome remember? Cracked me up!

Neosa
07-24-08, 10:03 PM
I am currently at 8th and I and we do a lot of tricks to make our uniforms look top notch.
Everyone at the barracks builds at least 2 barracks covers (one green and one white) from scratch. We use the frames/halos in current issue (flatten the halo so that the ega is almost parallel to the deck . A rag or cover that is at least one size smaller (Pull the eyelet out of the front with a pair of needle nose pliers very carefully, superglue the seam shut). A hangar (keeps the sides from pinching especially during parades). Masking tape holds the cover on. Tacking the cover in front to pull down and make the line straight and the seam straight all the way across. And a double wide chin strap to hide the tacks.
As for Chuck shirts we take the large cpt's rank to blouse the back. We also use six shirt stays. i like taking electrical tape and taping three of the shirt stays together on one leg near the top and near the bottom keeps them from rubbing on the back of your knees. As for Ribbons. By taking the metal out of the ribbins and supergluing the ribbon to the former and then setting them on the bar then pinching the sides down making them flat makes them look a hell of a lot better.

As for Dress Blues. Building your own medals makes them better this a whole class all together. With white trousers pinning the trousers up on the front crease with (again) lrg Cpts rank high up on the trousers makes the crease look sharper than razors. As for the tape it holds it up and makes it stay in place.

Semper FI.

Wyoming
07-24-08, 11:33 PM
Welcoma aboard Neosa.

Looks to me like we have a resourse here.

Semper Fidelis!!!!

Petz
07-25-08, 12:41 AM

windex ruins the clear coating on the patent leather... use the proper bates shoe cleaner unless you like buying 60 dollar shoes every year.

great idead about the card board... but it's a better idea to find something that has one white side to it... like the seperator of one of those cube packs of pop.... that way the white doesn't stick out against the white shirt (most boots have the wool thin shirts).

Petz
07-25-08, 12:46 AM
I remember also seeing guys take a whole roll of toilet paper and hold it inside of their covers and take a hot iron and iron the top of the cover. I guess it was a way to make the top of the cover firm on top and not sink in the middle i never understood why they did it.

they were idiots.... anyone who didn't follow the MCO and the label conveniently stiched on the inside of the tri colors that stated they are NOT to be starched or ironed, is an idiot.... if you've ever looked at a starched pair with NVG's you literally glow like a light bulb.

the only creases authorized were the two on the sleeves... all others were not.

I had the order on me in case of surprise cammie inspections, my Sgt's hated that.

Quinbo
07-25-08, 12:54 AM
You can take a scuff out of your chorfams with a piece of duraglit. Do we still have duraglit?

Petz
07-25-08, 01:08 AM
I don't think so... 'cause I never heard of it.

ZSKI
07-25-08, 01:36 AM
they were idiots.... anyone who didn't follow the MCO and the label conveniently stiched on the inside of the tri colors that stated they are NOT to be starched or ironed, is an idiot.... if you've ever looked at a starched pair with NVG's you literally glow like a light bulb.

the only creases authorized were the two on the sleeves... all others were not.

I had the order on me in case of surprise cammie inspections, my Sgt's hated that.

Well your also supposed to have your sleeves loose and down to the fore arm but only officers do that. Thats why i have garrison cammies and field ones. And i got them well marked lol.

Petz
07-25-08, 01:38 AM
uh, loose and down to the forearms? where'd you read that? on the back of a cereal box? it's two inches above the elbow and 4 fingers width... and if you really want to look like a turd you can have them loose but the last time I read the MCO there was nothing that said it's supposed to be loose.

who told you that devil?

Big Jim
07-25-08, 02:25 PM
You can take a scuff out of your chorfams with a piece of duraglit. Do we still have duraglit?

Bulk, my brother...you can bet your last dime they still have durglit...a poolie of mine wrote me she was shining some brasswork when she banged her finger or something and how awful it tasted!! LOL This Petzhold dude...I dunno bout him...PM me for more info...

ZSKI
07-25-08, 02:31 PM
uh, loose and down to the forearms? where'd you read that? on the back of a cereal box? it's two inches above the elbow and 4 fingers width... and if you really want to look like a turd you can have them loose but the last time I read the MCO there was nothing that said it's supposed to be loose.

who told you that devil?

correct me if i am wrong but i remember bieng told that the sleaves where the only thing aloud to be tailored on the chucks.

PTurchan
07-25-08, 04:33 PM
I think he means on the desert cammies.

PTurchan
07-25-08, 04:41 PM

who told you that devil?

Not really 4 finger widths by regs:

3. The combat utility uniform will be worn outside the trousers. When authorized by the commander, sleeves will be rolled with the inside out, forming a roll about three inches wide, and terminating at a point about two inches above the elbow.

outlaw3179
07-25-08, 05:47 PM
Whenever wearing dress blues Id lock my belt buckle to the left side as Im wearing it of the first belt loop . This prevented the front of the blues from puffing out at the front. Gave them a little bit better cleaner look.

outlaw3179
07-25-08, 05:54 PM
I remember the 4 inches rule, some Marines would put cardboard in their sleeves, to make sure it was exactly 4 inches.

Nothing better than to come out on Monday morning with a brand new fres haircut, boots with a shine so bright on them you could see your reflection, a set of cammies , that had the f*ck starched out of them, just awesome. Miss those days.

Petz
07-27-08, 01:28 PM
Not really 4 finger widths by regs:

3. The combat utility uniform will be worn outside the trousers. When authorized by the commander, sleeves will be rolled with the inside out, forming a roll about three inches wide, and terminating at a point about two inches above the elbow.

I'd say that 4 fingers width is close to three inches unless you'd like to bust out the ruler every time.

but thanks for the quote, 'cause I was confused about the who rules the sleeves up thing.... though the time frame for that comes from HQMC now don't it?

PTurchan
07-27-08, 01:31 PM
Woodlands in the winter - sleeves down
Deserts in the summer - sleeves up

I am unsure if the Base Commander gets to choose when the change over happens but I do know that in the beginning or end of the uniform swap they can extend the wearing of the previous uniform if the weather is extreme.

Petz
07-27-08, 01:33 PM
yeah , that's what I thought... I posted that in another thread. glad I was right

dodint
07-27-08, 08:38 PM
I really hate labeling my gear with the white tape and block stamp kit.

I've started ordering the small nametapes for the Gortex jacket and sewing them into the collar of my cammies and the inside of my covers. I've liked it so much that I'm thinking of doing it to my service uniforms as well. Not sure about that, though.

It's not that expensive, the tapes are only about $2 and you need to have nametapes sewn on anyway. I'll gladly pay $2 to never have to worry about screwing around with the marking kit. And the MCO states the size and color of the letters, but not what they must be marked with. The order also specifically says that it can't be amplified by local commands. :thumbup:

It's a stupid outdated rule anyway. No point in having a name printed inside the collar of a blouse that has a name SEWN onto the front of it. Sure it made sense 30 years ago. Not anymore.

PTurchan
07-27-08, 08:47 PM
I used these http://www.conntext.com/.

What can be amplified by commands?
"In order to standardize throughout the Marine Corps and prevent variation from station to station, no elaboration of the following guide for marking will be made, nor will any greater preciseness of location be prescribed"

How about your socks and underwear, are you going to label those with name tapes? I had my boot socks, dress socks, and about 10 briefs marked as it is required:

"7. Drawers. Outside, immediately below the waistband, near the front.
15. Socks. Outside, on top of the foot."

dodint
07-27-08, 09:01 PM
I still use the white tapes for my service stuff, and I maintain a set of PT gear labeled.

I searched all over the place for something like that conntext. Thanks for sharing.

I got my nametapes from www.nametapes.com They actually had the Gortex tape.

I make a point of saying that uniform marking placement can't be mandated by local commands for the same reason I sew nametapes into my cammies. Because theres always a motivated Sgt that needs to be reminded that the orders are written at HQMC, not in his head. Knowing the order is your only defense.

PTurchan
07-27-08, 09:05 PM
True... I like the Conntext because I can easily swap em out and they held for a long time. Fairly inexpensive for a lot too. I really hated the look the stamp kits would get you. How about socks and drawers though? I never met a Marine who would even try to.

dodint
07-27-08, 09:13 PM
I've only seen it done on socks once. It was in MAT platoon at MCCES. I assume he was being a smartass. It looked horrible.

My PT socks are marked directly with the kit since they're white. Boot socks I don't bother with. Underwear I don't bother. I figure if they make it past my belt nametape and trouser nametape that should be good enough. ;)

PTurchan
07-27-08, 09:14 PM
Hahaha, I did it to be a smartass. It was quite humorous to see peoples reactions when you told them.

Petz
07-27-08, 09:55 PM
I think I would have a J.O.B. box put together for all of those labeled items.... why would you wear labeled underwear?! I'd rather just have it as required and leave it alone until needed for some CG inspection.

PTurchan
07-27-08, 09:57 PM
I think I would have a J.O.B. box put together for all of those labeled items.... why would you wear labeled underwear?! I'd rather just have it as required and leave it alone until needed for some CG inspection.

Because it is a Marine Corps Uniform Regulation. I didn't see anything in there about labeling when you though it mattered.

Petz
07-27-08, 10:04 PM
huh? all I'm saying is if I ever DID label those items I'd put them in a storage container.

I never labeled anything unless it was really called for.

PTurchan
07-27-08, 10:05 PM
I labeled them because Marine Corps order dictates I mark all of my uniform items whether or not:
1. I wanted to or not
2. If I would wear it or not

Petz
07-27-08, 10:08 PM
I'm not attacking your choices PT... it was a rhetorical question.

I have seen people wear everything labeled... that's their choice to make and I won't judge them or you. I just don't see why, once you wear them a month or so they can't be used for a J.O.B. inspection due to worn labels (I'm refering to the iron on labels) or just having all the dryer fuzzies on the shirts.

Chill out brother.

Quinbo
07-28-08, 07:02 AM
There is a definite purpose for labeling all your junk and as soon as you get on ship and find yourself digging through a giant pile of half dry laundry for your stuff because your laundry bag came open you'll have a good idea why. SSgt Petzold have you ever been on a ship? Would you advise your troops not to label their stuff?

Petz
08-05-08, 11:06 PM
When I get attached to a MSSG... then I'll ensure everyones crap is labeled... I'm fully aware of what goes on there Devil.

I know the best way to wash coveralls is to rope them together and let them sit in the wake for a bit... and PRESTO! they are clean again...

Quinbo
08-20-08, 10:38 AM
The coveralls thing would probably work if the captain of the ship would allow such a thing. At the end of wog day we all took all of our catsup, mustard peanut butter, oatmeal, raw eggs and whatever else you can think of; encrusted clothing and flung it into the sea. I'm sure it came clean eventually and washed up on some deserted island for gilligan to wear. The ships fire hoses were then turned on us so that we would be clean enough to go below decks. Ahh the rigors of becoming a shellback. What great memories. I'm sorry you missed out on it SSgt Petzold.

coffeejoejava
08-22-08, 12:56 PM
I still have the same duct taped piece of cardboard backing my wings and bubble on my cammies that I started with as a Lance Corporal. That has been 16 years ago!!

SlingerDun
08-23-08, 04:11 AM
Steaming along at maybe 23 knots somewhere in the IO i ventured aft to cast hefty garbage bags over the fantail and probably burn a cigarette, then spied a Bosn's Mate tying off the handle end of a swab with a coil of rope. I knew what he was gonna do but never seen it practiced.

Well he was handy at securing knots on a slick pole because after he lowered it down and let the line play out some as it hit the churned up ocean, thee line tightened in his hand the swab bounced and zinngggg,,,, that rope went whistlin through his grip and the outfit foundered directly. He hadn't bothered with tying it fast to the rail.

I'm not sure i'd want to mother up to a pair of coveralls that been scoured in sea salt thoughhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

Wyoming
08-23-08, 04:32 AM
Steaming along at maybe 23 knots somewhere in the IO i ventured aft to cast hefty garbage bags over the fantail and probably burn a cigarette, then spied a Bosn's Mate tying off the handle end of a swab with a coil of rope. I knew what he was gonna do but never seen it practiced.

Well he was handy at securing knots on a slick pole because after he lowered it down and let the line play out some as it hit the churned up ocean, thee line tightened in his hand the swab bounced and zinngggg,,,, that rope went whistlin through his grip and the outfit foundered directly. He hadn't bothered with tying it fast to the rail.

I'm not sure i'd want to mother up to a pair of coveralls that been scoured in sea salt thoughhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

We did this but once with our flight suits. Them sumbishes came back looking clean, BUT, the ****ing salt made them stiff when it dried.

Petz
08-23-08, 12:54 PM
ahh.. but think of greese and other crap that doesn't come out easily and the ships laundry won't take them either because it'll mess up other peoples uniforms.... you have to clean them somehow... then... the laundry'll take them.

Quinbo
08-23-08, 04:26 PM
I had a friend on a fast frigate in Hawaii that the CO allowed them to drag blue jeans behind the ship. Stone wash fad was in and by golly after a machine wash later they did look stone washed. That was personal gear. Makes ya wonder though if that rope got caught in the screws the rope would be ground to shreds along with anything attached to it.

SlingerDun
08-23-08, 05:51 PM
I reckon once the remnants of rope and swab drifted for the lagoon, Gilligan would have been sorely disappointed but sure nuff the Professor could have cobbled those bits and pieces into something functional.

Third sh*tter from the left scuttlebutt once got to circulating about swim time on a stand down in the IO when the carrier was dead in the water and guys were topside barbecuing and talent contesting. Word was a platform would be lowered and a section of ocean roped off somehow and buoyed, while a few Marines stood shark watch with guns so the hands could cool off regular Equatorial style...:marine: interesting idea but it never panned out

--->Dave

PFC Horse
10-11-08, 05:03 PM
Don't forget to clean that new web belt with toothpaste. A few cleanings and it looks great and not like a recruit's on his first day.

avenger08
10-11-08, 05:18 PM
i dont think i have used a webbelt since bootcamp, i wear my mcmap belt. im sure all new marines do these days.

PFC Horse
10-11-08, 05:38 PM
Yeah, perhaps I did date myself a little with that one. I learned that lil trick in 1970, perhaps not as usefull today.

Quinbo
10-11-08, 09:13 PM
Yea you've dated yourself. Methinks you can't even figure out how to clean your
fuсking teeth with toothpaste.

Petz
10-12-08, 12:25 AM
Hey Marines... if you really think you don't wear a web belt... you might be a retard. You wear service uniforms and blues don't you? yeah I don't like buying new web belts every year myself.

And when you get into a position where you're required to wear your service uniform on fridays or mondays... or whenever your CO feels like it, then you might have thought about that... Sad really that you haven't worn it since boot camp.

PFC Horse
10-12-08, 10:49 AM
Whoa there Sgt. Bulkyer, not sure how I got that far under your skin. I guess things truly have changed since I was on active duty in the corps. Back in the day, we respected each other, as all warriors should. Your automatic disrespect makes me glad to know that I am "old school", a true warrior still inspiring and impressing others with real deeds and not just a big mouth.
Sgt Petzold, Glad to know that web belts are still a part of a Marines uniform, and glad to know that you know the differance between the way a new belt looks, (green), and that one that has been made to look a little salty is better. Thanks.

Brewer0311
10-12-08, 10:56 AM
i dont think i have used a webbelt since bootcamp, i wear my mcmap belt. im sure all new marines do these days.

Your freaking profile picture you have a web belt on. Jeez... And square that **** away and take pride in your uniform.

Makes me sick looking at that crap.:sick:

Quinbo
10-12-08, 12:11 PM
PFC Horse .... Before I described detailed methods on how to spit shine boots I had filled out a complete profile. I suggest you fill out your profile then describe to us in painful detail how to go about cleaning a web belt with toothpaste.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-13-08, 08:17 AM
Take the monkee poo throwing elsewhere and get this one back on topic or it gets shut down.

Fair warning :)

Petz
10-15-08, 11:32 AM
Whoa there Sgt. Bulkyer, not sure how I got that far under your skin. I guess things truly have changed since I was on active duty in the corps. Back in the day, we respected each other, as all warriors should. Your automatic disrespect makes me glad to know that I am "old school", a true warrior still inspiring and impressing others with real deeds and not just a big mouth.
Sgt Petzold, Glad to know that web belts are still a part of a Marines uniform, and glad to know that you know the differance between the way a new belt looks, (green), and that one that has been made to look a little salty is better. Thanks.

um, well... they sell them "salty". They are called Salt Washed... yeah modern manufacturing has come a long way in regards to saltifying web belt.... and I don't think Bulkyer was meaning Automatic dis-respect... I think it was a friendly ribbing, but I would agree that it was overboard in it's written tone... I honestly think his implied tone was one of jest.

Semper Fi hoarse! Keep those good tricks coming! mainly 'cause you'll never know when those old tricks will come in handy... like when the PX runs out of salty web belts!!

Quinbo
10-15-08, 11:46 AM
I did go overboard in my tone of jest and then became defensive and defiant after reading responses. I have never heard of washing a belt in toothpaste and have no idea how one would go about it. To my knowlege you remove the buckle and apply scotch tape to the tip of a brand new web belt then run it through the washing machine two times in hot water. You then let it air dry. This is all done before cutting it. Remove the scotch tape ... it was there to keep the anonodized tip from getting scratched.

PFC Horse
10-15-08, 05:17 PM
We did remove the buckle and taped the tip, then lay it flat, wet it, and using a toothbrush we scrubbed it with whitening toothpaste. The tooth paste whitend the belt and using a toothbrush made sure that the web fibers were not damaged. We were allowed to do this in boot.
But now they sell "salty belts", I will be damned.

In the darkest of places and for the briefest of times; I was so, so good at something.

ecfree
10-15-08, 09:38 PM
PFC Horse,you need to beef up your profile...:evilgrin:

PFC Horse
10-15-08, 10:03 PM
Working on that profile but do you really give a crap where I went to high school or what my favorite color is?

Quinbo
10-16-08, 12:27 AM
I started to criticize your profile then stopped myself.

RLeon
10-16-08, 02:08 AM
Working on that profile but do you really give a crap where I went to high school or what my favorite color is?

Yes! and favorite number too. lol.

Seriously did they even have anodized brass in your era. I entered bootcamp in the early 90's and we were issued non anodized brass. We had to polish everything until we got to school or the Fleet where we could buy anodized stuff, so I'm guessing you used a lot of Brasso.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

SlingerDun
10-16-08, 05:53 PM
Some of the more ajay sea goer's used plenty of tooth paste on belts and the white cover and gloves. Slip the gloves on and disassemble the cover, squirt a dollop of ultra-brite in your palms and massage gloves and fabric cover thoroughly, rinse, repeathttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif A brush will prematurely fuzz and fray these items and clorox soaking simply wasn't practical

Belt scrubbing with a tooth brush was arduous, similar to extra-duty doled out and to be performed on a man's all-fours scrubbing sh*tters and bilges

Everybody used a scuz brush for belts and some of the super squared away's kept a 'special' brush to be used only with tooth paste on web and blues white duty belts.

--->Dave

PFC Horse
10-16-08, 08:53 PM
RLeon, right no anodized brass and lots and lots of Brasso.

Slinger Dun, Learned to use the toothbrush on our web belts in boot camp when everything was arduous and felt like extra duty. But have to say when our DI let us in on this and allowed us to do it, it felt like a special treat...being just a little salty while in boot. We were privaleged to do our webs with a tooth brush. P.S. not the same brush that we used on our teeth! LOL.

Quinbo
10-20-08, 09:47 PM
Boot camp is a different story. We had all genuine brass that had to be polished daily. Our heavy took all our belts properly marked and cut home with him and washed them or his wife did or whatever. There was never an attempt to turn a light brown web belt white. The washing was to soften the belt and some shrinkage was allieviated. Over time the belt with many washings continued to shrink but never got any lighter in color. The white gloves were never the same after handleing a rifle coated in linseed oil and either became a spit rag or target practice and had to be replaced. I have heard but never seen about placing a bunch of web belts in a luandry bag and dragging them behind a ship to clean.

To avoid irish penants on the tip of a web belt trim it at a 45 degree angle with cuticle scissors.

SlingerDun
10-21-08, 02:29 AM
....Over time the belt with many washings continued to shrink but never got any lighter in colorFew months back i found a single remnant of Marine issue, the web belt. It's retained a mousy dun color but it lost a good two inches of length settin in pops attic and i'm pretty sure positive it hasn't been washed in some 26 yearshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

LiveJimWest
10-29-08, 03:04 AM
Hello all, as a new Marine, I like reading all of your comments. Can you tell me the best way how to perfectly align your rank insignia on your cammy blouses? Using a ruler is too tedious and I'm hoping for a more streamlined way to ensure precise accuracy.

Zulu 36
10-29-08, 05:24 AM
Hello all, as a new Marine, I like reading all of your comments. Can you tell me the best way how to perfectly align your rank insignia on your cammy blouses? Using a ruler is too tedious and I'm hoping for a more streamlined way to ensure precise accuracy.

Over time, with practice, you should be able to stick the things on simply by eye and be dead-on accurate. The process becomes easier as you get promoted for the simple fact there is a bigger chunk of metal to hang onto while positioning the little buggers. PFC and LCpl are the hardest to position for sure.

Meanwhile, practice putting them on by eye, then measuring. After a while, I only double-checked with a ruler for formal inspections.

Also, your profile is a little thin. Give us some more about you. We're nosy.

THAT AINT IT
10-29-08, 12:07 PM

Use a quarter. Lay it on the collar so it lines up with the bottom part of it exactly. Then place your chevrons pretty much on top of the quarter so that it's even on both sides. That's what our drill instructors taught us.

fjmas1976
10-30-08, 08:35 PM
Get a chevron placer...little yellow plastic thing (in the shape of a collar) that used to be available at most PX's. Has a slot to place the chevron for every enlisted rank and then you lace it on the collar and push the pins in to the collar. Take the chevrons out of the placer and put them into the holes you made. I still use the same one (from over 11 years ago!) to put my collar brass on my po'lice uniform:usmc:

GIrene
10-31-08, 02:56 PM
This sounds odd but when you wash your Utilities (or even coveralls, flight suits, etc that are well soiled) add a 20z of Coke with your detergent. Yeah Mythbusters proved that Coke has other uses and I'm surprised this wasn't one.

I didnt believe it at first until one of my fellow Marines took home a nasty and dirty squadron patch, washed it with the Coke and came back the next day it looked almost new. Does the same to your cammies and coveralls to get out some of the "dirt stains" and works a bit on those grease stains and such.

Ed Palmer
10-31-08, 03:56 PM
UNIFORM WEARING: Federal laws concerning the wear of the United States Military uniforms by people not on active duty are published in the United States Code (USC). Specifically, 10 USC, Subtitle...

marinecorpsvet
11-02-08, 07:29 AM
Wore khaki's for the last time in Oki 1976. Had Mamma-San starch the hell out them, had 2 buddies hold them for me while I stood on a chair and got into them. Then walked stiff legged down to my post on the main gate, as to not to bag the knees.
Used Brasso in Boot Camp to clean brass (what the hell was Anodized?), with vinegar to break them down. Spit shined shoes and boots, and when we done our shoes, just light the shoe polish on fire for a min to burn residue out. Use baby diapers and you will come up with a hell of a shine, till someone frigs them up by stepping on them.
Learned to buy Creighton shirts to look sharp.:flag:

Zulu 36
11-02-08, 07:57 AM
Wore khaki's for the last time in Oki 1976. Had Mamma-San starch the hell out them, had 2 buddies hold them for me while I stood on a chair and got into them. Then walked stiff legged down to my post on the main gate, as to not to bag the knees.
Used Brasso in Boot Camp to clean brass (what the hell was Anodized?), with vinegar to break them down. Spit shined shoes and boots, and when we done our shoes, just light the shoe polish on fire for a min to burn residue out. Use baby diapers and you will come up with a hell of a shine, till someone frigs them up by stepping on them.
Learned to buy Creighton shirts to look sharp.:flag:

Never wore the old khakis except once in boot camp. Some guys wore them while on mess duty after boot camp. We also had the tropicals, which had the khaki color, but better material - never starched. I liked the look of the trops, but they attracted dirt in a manner only beaten by white clothing.

I wore trops home after boot camp. I remember clearly my father meeting me at the airport, then rubbing my uniform shirt and trouser material with his fingers and saying, "Sh*t. Officer's material."

He said the same thing about my winter greens and explained how his greens (in WWII) came issued all fuzzy and Marines had to learn to shave them down to remove the fuzz and smooth out the material. To leave them as issued marked you as a raw recruit. For summer, they only had khakis, no better quality tropicals. Didn't have short sleeved shirts either. But they did have that cool looking "fair leather" belt to wear on the greens instead of the cloth thing used now.

As an MP, I was very happy when the Corps came out with the summer weight greens in the mid-1970s. Never wore trops after that. All-in-all, I think I prefer the look of the khaki shirt over green trousers.

DIUSMC
11-20-08, 03:35 PM
Outstanding S/Sgt Nelson, These are the utilities that should have NEVER gona away! Break a new pair on a daily basis. Never be confused with anyone else! Thanks for the memory!

Petz
12-15-08, 06:47 PM
ed, what the hell is that all about? good info though.

Marine1955
12-15-08, 09:11 PM
mop & glow was great untill your sgt. or co. would make you bend your shoe and the glow would crack. i know i got no weekend lib. cause of it and had to buy new shoes and have them ready for monday morning inspection

I just replied to another member's post about sleeve rolling and it got me thinking. Who here remembers their old "tricks of the trade" for squaring away your uniform?
My biggest memories are:
1. Mop'n'Glo on your boots to shine them up
2. Cutting off the buttons on your pockets and then sewing them flat.
3. Taking your cover to Mama-san in Oki for the cement-like starch treatment (I got out in 2002 and my woodland cover is still hard as a rock).

Ahh....the memories!

Share yours!

BigPhil
12-23-08, 11:23 PM
Had name tags sew on while stationed on Okinawa, 2/9/3 in 63 everything was spit and polish even then. Went to Marine Barricks Subic Bay in 64 bought a complete new issue
of uniforms, just for inspections. I still have my winter greens and my web gear. Some things just stay with you.

DIUSMC
12-24-08, 08:45 AM
For those of you serving in warm (HOT) climates and want to keep the sweat stains to a minimum. Drill Instructor School students TAKE NOTE! Scotch Guard the insides of your shirts after getting them cleaned. You will no doubt feel like you are in a plastic bag, but you will be SQUARED AWAY! Besides that's much more important !!
Carry on!

Marine1955
12-24-08, 09:18 AM
Had name tags sew on while stationed on Okinawa, 2/9/3 in 63 everything was spit and polish even then. Went to Marine Barricks Subic Bay in 64 bought a complete new issue
of uniforms, just for inspections. I still have my winter greens and my web gear. Some things just stay with you.

did the same ting at quantico va. LOL

Marine1955
03-01-09, 09:37 AM
Don't forget to clean that new web belt with toothpaste. A few cleanings and it looks great and not like a recruit's on his first day.

god i remember doing that untill the day i got out. used closeup toothpaste for a long time on my belts and crest for my teeth . those where the good old days. Sempe Fi :D

groundhog 2
03-19-09, 11:32 AM
Ya, I'm still showing my age, '60 to '64. We would fill a 5lb coffee can with starch and soak the cover. Could share with about 1/2 the barracks. Roll a coat hanger and let it spring open inside the cover and let it dry. Pull the hanger out and yes, with a full roll of toilet paper iron the top, then get good sharp edges around the octagon.

Petz
03-19-09, 11:49 AM
that must have been before they stiched the edges into it.

the Corps has seen what Marines do, and they make things so we don't ruin our cammies by starching them.... that's why they went the route of no-iron-needed style cammies.

Brent2651
05-12-09, 03:29 AM
- Scotch Guard inside your Charlies
- Lemon Pledge on the patton leather
- Masking tape on the creases inside the polyester trousers to help them stay sharp all day
- Metal collar stays
- Stitching the "blouse" into the lower end of your Creightons, so that you do not have to keep tucking in the slack around your waist
- Washing your cotton barracks cover and allowing it to dry on the frame
- Cutting strips of white cotton belt and placing it around the outer rim of the dress cover frame, to take up the slack as the wet cotton cover dries around it
- Bending the metal EGA attachment tab in the cover frame, so that the front stands taller than the rear
- Old school spit-shined cover brims don't hurt either
- Shirt stays
- Ironing each individual crease of the eight-point cover (before the days when creases were conveniently stitched in, as we were not allowed to do this in the old days)
- Blistex mixed into the spit-shine on the black combat boots
- Spit-shined heals and soles (NOT an easy thing to accomplish)

I've probably repeated a lot that has been stated already...I haven't taken the time to read through yet.

Brent2651
05-12-09, 03:34 AM
For those of you serving in warm (HOT) climates and want to keep the sweat stains to a minimum. Drill Instructor School students TAKE NOTE! Scotch Guard the insides of your shirts after getting them cleaned. You will no doubt feel like you are in a plastic bag, but you will be SQUARED AWAY! Besides that's much more important !!
Carry on!

Really freaks out Parris Island recruits too.

"That mother f**cker is not human! We've been sweatin' like pigs all day and his uniform is still dry!!!" :evilgrin:

Brent2651
05-12-09, 03:36 AM
Yes! and favorite number too. lol.

Seriously did they even have anodized brass in your era. I entered bootcamp in the early 90's and we were issued non anodized brass. We had to polish everything until we got to school or the Fleet where we could buy anodized stuff, so I'm guessing you used a lot of Brasso.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

Duraglit was easier to work with and didn't leave all the white crust.

Brent2651
05-12-09, 03:39 AM
Few months back i found a single remnant of Marine issue, the web belt. It's retained a mousy dun color but it lost a good two inches of length settin in pops attic and i'm pretty sure positive it hasn't been washed in some 26 yearshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

The color kept better if we tied them up in white PT socks for washing. This also kept the tips from getting clawed up by blue jean buttons or the washing machine's agitator motions.

Brent2651
05-12-09, 03:54 AM

Lost points beacause of skivvies in a J.O.B. once during a CG inpection back on Okinawa in '87. The inspector was marking down everyone with brand new out-of-the package drawers with fresh name stamps. Those with grayish, din-jee not-quite-new, obviously worn (but clean and servicable undies with less than perfect stamps) were verbally commended and scored higher. The inspector didn't like being "snow balled" with never used showroom goodies. He wanted to see how well we were maintaining daily use items. This was a trend back then. When the IG came around several months later I was ready. :marine:

Petz
05-12-09, 09:22 PM
the point of a real JOB is to see if you have the gear... not how it's maintained.

he failed.

Brent2651
05-15-09, 04:33 PM
the point of a real JOB is to see if you have the gear... not how it's maintained.

he failed.

Late 80's...they were highly interested in how well the gear was maintained for a JOB, especially the supply/Marine Corps issued items. The budget was tight...at least for 3d MarDiv on Cp Courtney.

steelersfaninbp
06-07-09, 11:38 PM
Geez where to start:
1. Yep back in the day we used a cover block after we applied the starch to our utility cover. After it was dry pull out the roll of toilet paper, iron out all the wrinkles, get that 1/2 crease in the top of the cover.
2. Black ink bottle and water to press the polish into the pores of the boots before you started on your shine. White skivvie shirts only on the fuzzy side. LMAO.
3. Bic lighter or if you could afford it Zippo. Heat up the polish until it melted got to town on the shine.
4. Lighter fluid to get the crappy polish off the shoes and get an ever surface.
5. "Q" tips to get that little space above the soles and the area on your barracks cover where your cloth wouldn't reach. "Rubbing alcohol" and the "Q" tip to get all the white residue left over from brasso.
6. Edge dressing on the soles and heels.
7. Paperclips in the tip end of the web belt.
8. Turn your buckle upside down, apply brasso, skivvie shirt on the table top and rub for hours until the front of the buckle is nice and flat.
9. 1 american nickel, "1/8" great for getting your measurements right.
10. Always roll up your sleeves before you put on that shirt. Start at the cuff and use that seem for width, roll it 4 x's and viola.

BTW, for those remember it "DuraGlit" is still sold. You just have to look for it.

Probably forget more but alas time takes it's toll on ones brain housing group.

As always, SEMPER FI, and IYAOYAS!! :usmc:

William Hardy
06-14-09, 02:33 PM
I bought most of my clothing from the base cleaners. I could get shirts for 50 cents, complete with chevrons. There was always clothing left over where people had left them for one reason or another. I then went next door and had them tailored with the money I saved. My Charlies always looked good. As did my Trops and Greens. I used a bar of soap and ran it down the inside of every crease of my greens. Using a "warm" iron I melted the soap and it gave me a razor sharp edge. Be careful - don't use too much soap. Back during the late 60s when we had a junk on the bunk, I put out my old skivies for the old timers. No elastic. They had tie-ties. You could iron them flat and the WWII and Korean vets would stop and talk about the old skivies and skip everything else.

DIUSMC
06-16-09, 01:34 PM
Why is it that everyone looks for the tricks? 2 tours on the street and one as a DI School Instructor and not one trick. Learn to do it the right way the first time and you'll ALWAYS be ready. Treat the gear like it meant something to you and use what is authorized to use. No tricks not even any hard work!

psijac
07-15-09, 08:04 AM
One of the happiest days of my life was when I found this shirt stay http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/051E/product-id/36963035.html you slip your foot into the loop so there is ZERO chance of of the sock end of the metal tipped stay to come loose and snap you in your manhood, causing you to let out an effeminate "oof" which generally is a serious break in bearing I also bought a set of http://www.ultimateblouser.com/index.html from that guy running around Camp Pendleton. My NCOs made fun of me but they were much more comfortable than boot bands. I was bored so one day I took the instructions part of the Eagle Globe and Anchor Iron on and Ironed it to the inside of my Wooland blouse

Barnett23
08-14-09, 05:51 PM

This was so you didn't burn ya little fingers, but you can do it better without the roll of toilet paper. I still iron my 8-point when in Garrison I use liquid starch to keep it hardened, but starch in combat turns your cammies black when looking through NVGs or any type of night vision googles making you stand out like a soar thumb.

Petz
08-14-09, 06:00 PM
One of the happiest days of my life was when I found this shirt stay http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/051E/product-id/36963035.html you slip your foot into the loop so there is ZERO chance of of the sock end of the metal tipped stay to come loose and snap you in your manhood, causing you to let out an effeminate "oof" which generally is a serious break in bearing I also bought a set of http://www.ultimateblouser.com/index.html from that guy running around Camp Pendleton. My NCOs made fun of me but they were much more comfortable than boot bands. I was bored so one day I took the instructions part of the Eagle Globe and Anchor Iron on and Ironed it to the inside of my Wooland blouse

so those blousers are elastic?

MusicMarine
09-30-09, 11:45 AM
Sempfer Fi. MALS -31 Avionics . We stay squared away in and out of uniform

Wyoming
09-30-09, 11:46 AM
Sempfer Fi. MALS -31 Avionics . We stay squared away in and out of uniform

I started my music & film company when I got out in 05 at the best rank in the Marines.... Sgt!

Support with a vote.
vote for our artists song "Let Me Take You". by Kayo feat. Yung Capo of my recording company ChiCityInc. It was just on 1075 WGCI chicago . go to www.djtimbuck2.com (http://www.djtimbuck2.com) and scroll down and vote.

Hope everything is good with all you Marines and you all are succeeding in life!

Semper Fi. RIP to my fallen brothers.

AGAIN!!!

... how many times are you going to post this?

MusicMarine
09-30-09, 12:46 PM
I remember using a bit of Windex. Some tricks are just an excuse not to do it right the first time. With uniform preparation, I'd tell my guys preparation is the key. Just do it right
;)

MusicMarine
10-02-09, 03:24 PM
AGAIN!!!

... how many times are you going to post this?

Look maw, look Paw, da MoRines learned me how ta use fonts and size lettern

stretchusa
10-02-09, 03:34 PM
Look maw, look Paw, da MoRines learned me how ta use fonts and size lettern
Hey JACK*** your sig is annoying and that comments is disrespectful. I could care less that you were a Sgt when you got out. If you want to call yourself a Marine you DMAN well better RESPECT those who went before you. You want to try and talk down to a combat vet? Where do you get off?:thumbdown

JAGarland
10-10-09, 09:23 AM
I may have missed this but any tips or tricks for squaring away the vinyl DressBlues cover. Its been in storage and has a couple marks where the strap may have rested and some spots on the top.

William Hardy
10-10-09, 09:33 AM
I may have missed this but any tips or tricks for squaring away the vinyl Dress Blues cover. Its been in storage and has a couple marks where the strap may have rested and some spots on the top.

I have seen success with gentle heat - put the vinyl where it can get warm heat (never hot) - in winter you can put it over an air duct. Southern facing window ledge - on top of the water heater. If it is not bad, you may be able to place it face down on top of the dryer when laundry is done. Never try an iron, oven, or hair dryer (blow dryer). It may need the gentle heat for a day or it may take it a week or more, but slow is good. If the underlying material is damage and won't rebound, a new purchase will be necessary.
Bill

William Hardy
10-10-09, 10:17 AM
Why is it that everyone looks for the tricks? 2 tours on the street and one as a DI School Instructor and not one trick. Learn to do it the right way the first time and you'll ALWAYS be ready. Treat the gear like it meant something to you and use what is authorized to use. No tricks not even any hard work!

I respect your statement and basically agree...but that is the starting point. Sometimes more than just a clean uniform fresh from the cleaners is needed. I take this thread as being a place were some of us older guys can offer help to the young ones. There are tricks such as the best way to spit shine shoes...not everyone has the option of buying corfam or patent leather shoes. What's wrong with sharing the different ways to spit shine or anything else that may come along. I'm glad these guys are asking...it tells me they care and want to be more squared away.

Just for the record - not everyone is looking for a shortcut to "get by". Some of the "tricks" to staying squared away are needed by many who do not fit "off-the-rack" clothing. Back when we wore the old utilities with shirt tails tucked in, they look really bad when a skinny guy had to wear a shirt that was too big in the waist. When we were paid less than a hundred dollars a month, tailoring was not the option we chose. We had to resort to a few stitches where the blouse was to be pinched and then folded forward towards the waist. A few choice stitches keep the waist line trim and made it easier to stay squared away. Personally, later on after getting promoted and having a few more dollars, I did in fact get my clothing tailored and those "tricks" were no longer an issue. I know of many E8s and E9 (both MSGT/1stSgt & MGYSgt/SGTMaj) who had their front pockets sewed up to make their frontal appearance look smooth and clean. I can remember on several occasions when we had "junk on the bunk" inspections and the inspection team offered "tricks-of-the-trade" to the men as they inspected..."Next time try......" These leaders were teachers and trainers....they didn't just gig you, they offered solutions and many of the suggested solutions were "tricks" they had learned over the years and they shared them with me and other Marines. Ever hear about the "trick" of using a ration can on an M60 to make the rounds feed in smoother? Some tricks can actually make a significant difference in combat. (With MREs rations didn't work)

Please - just keep an open mind. If you can help these young men, please offer them a solution they can use and you can contribute to keeping the Corps squared away.

hypnotist
01-23-10, 11:24 PM
spit shine shoes, boots, boondockers ... what is patent leather Never seen that went in in 1957 to 1961

LetUsNvr4Get
02-11-10, 08:20 PM
The coveralls thing would probably work if the captain of the ship would allow such a thing. At the end of wog day we all took all of our catsup, mustard peanut butter, oatmeal, raw eggs and whatever else you can think of; encrusted clothing and flung it into the sea. I'm sure it came clean eventually and washed up on some deserted island for gilligan to wear. The ships fire hoses were then turned on us so that we would be clean enough to go below decks. Ahh the rigors of becoming a shellback. What great memories. I'm sorry you missed out on it SSgt Petzold.

who here ate the cherry ? haha i just got my Shellback last year

soonobemarine
03-26-10, 03:18 PM
i am also stationed at Marine Barracks 8th & I and we pretty much know most of the tricks plus some u may not have heard for keepin squared away uniforms. Anyone who needs help with somethin uniform related pm me an i should b able to help u out

josh9971uw
08-14-10, 01:42 PM
For the dress blues cover: kind of hard to explain without getting out my crayons and such...

take a clothes hanger, break off/remove the hooked end, create a double U-shaped device with the metal ends made to wrap around the inside of the brim where the EGA is screwed into. This helps hold together the cover into a tight frame.

Take the standard plastic frame and fastener with the metal attachment for the big EGA and turn it inside out. This requires you to "smash" yes "smash" the catch for the EGA in order for it to be opposite of where it was, takes a bit to get the right angle for the EGA to fit in as the loop is now backwards of its original manufacture.

get a cloth cover that is smaller than the frame, wash and bleach to perfection

replace the standard issue black band on the front with the officers gear that is wider and doesnt slip as much.

once the cloth is secured tightly and without wrinkles on the frame use white push pins to secure the section on the front of the cover where the white cloth meets the black frame to prevent the white from sliding up and exposing the black frame as well as keeping a tight cloth devoid of wrinkles.

When this is all done, takes time practice, it will look as squared away as the goons from the Silent Drill team at 8th and I

EA-6BMarine
08-20-10, 06:16 PM
All these tips and tricks are nice, but the only dress uniform I really ever wear are the blues for the USMC Ball every year, I wear coveralls to work more than I do utilities.

Assaultdog0351
08-20-10, 06:36 PM
We have to wear chucks while on duty... taking care of all the drunk Marines. Also we do wall locker inspections and uniform inspections. Not bad for a grunt battalion huh? And who said we don't do garrison.

EA-6BMarine
08-20-10, 07:35 PM
whats the saying, an inspection ready unit never makes it in combat, a combat ready unit never passes an inspection. Their is always exceptions to that though. Ive never had to wear chucks on duty before, they only makes us do that when stuff gets stupid.

FNBoot
08-20-10, 08:49 PM

That never made sense to me either.

All I did was spray the thing with starch and iron it using my hands.

Assaultdog0351
08-20-10, 09:04 PM
Ive never had to wear chucks on duty before, they only makes us do that when stuff gets stupid.

Stupid is one of the key words in our daily routine lol

garryscott
09-15-10, 02:37 AM
thanks for informed:-)
custom military patches (http://www.patchsuperstore.com)

MontySpecial
09-19-10, 10:21 PM
I'm gonna try the light soap inside my trouser and shirt creases and six shirt-stays. Ha ha I love the termed 'squared away' especially when it comes to uniforms.

kokomar79
10-22-10, 08:42 PM
this is one way to keep your chevrons on

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb349/kokomar79/111.jpg

SundayForever
03-18-11, 01:44 AM
instead of cardboard ive use a small piece of web belt leftover from when i cut it to back my ribbons and shooting badge.

Buy RS Gold (http://www.fzf.com/Runescape.gold)
Runescape Gold (http://www.fzf.com/Runescape.gold)
Rift Platinum (http://www.zyy.com/gold/Rift-Planes-of-Telara-US-Platinum.html)

Diamonds
03-18-11, 02:17 PM

Buy RS Gold (http://www.fzf.com/Runescape.gold)
Runescape Gold (http://www.fzf.com/Runescape.gold)
Rift Platinum (http://www.zyy.com/gold/Rift-Planes-of-Telara-US-Platinum.html)
Hell for twenty years I threw the cut off web belt away.

Great idea !

Semper Fi

Tennessee Top
03-18-11, 04:04 PM
The first time I graduated Marine Security Guard School (1973), we had two complete sets of uniforms. One was perfect and always "inspection ready", the other was the set we actually wore day-to-day. Of course, that was pre-terrorism when embassy duty was all about spit-n-polish and look'n good (like Sea Duty).

The second time I graduated (1987) was during the global war on terrorism. Still had to look good but the emphasis then was more on function rather than spit-n-polish.

SundayForever
03-19-11, 03:41 AM

Rift Plat (http://www.zyy.com/gold/Rift-Planes-of-Telara-US-Platinum.html)
RS Gold (http://www.fzf.com/Runescape.gold)
Cheap Maplestory Mesos (http://www.buymaplestory.com)

Diamonds
03-20-11, 07:11 PM
The first time I graduated Marine Security Guard School (1973), we had two complete sets of uniforms. One was perfect and always "inspection ready", the other was the set we actually wore day-to-day. Of course, that was pre-terrorism when embassy duty was all about spit-n-polish and look'n good (like Sea Duty).

The second time I graduated (1987) was during the global war on terrorism. Still had to look good but the emphasis then was more on function rather than spit-n-polish.

Top, your right MSGS has changed over the years.

I was stationed at Henderson Hall back in 1963-65 when the school was there. I worked in Bn Supply and gave instructions to SNCO's going to the school on requestioning procedures. We issued them their extra uniforms, including their Blues. I never got the chance to school myself. I understand it was a good ticket to get punched for your career.I didn't however as a 1StSgt get to screen Marines who wanted to apply for this duty. A couple of them did very well.

josephd
03-20-11, 09:59 PM
Something I've been doing over the last year now to keep my sleeves nice, straight, and tight.

When rolling your sleeves during the summer on your deserts. When you get the first cuff folded over and get it as straight as possible, take a large safety pin and pin the extra sleeve material/overlap together. This way when you proceed to continue the rest of the sleeve you don't have to hold it together the whole time and you can focus more on getting all the wrinkles out. Works especially well for a strictly "garrison" blouse and you don't have to unroll and re-roll your sleeves all the time.

Vandrel
03-21-11, 12:54 AM
http://mybrands.com/images/products/large/Dial_2420013103A.jpghttp://www.binbin.net/photos/zippo/zip/zippo-lighter.jpg
http://allgraphicdesign.com/graphicsblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/coolbusinesscards-cardboard.jpg

Just a few of my tools from back then

jenhays
04-01-11, 02:05 AM
These are some great tricks you have given!!!

boby12
07-01-11, 04:18 AM
I like this forum ,because I learn some knowledge before I never know.
Outlook 2010 (http://www.buyoutlook2010.com)
Microsoft outlook 2010 (http://www.buyoutlook2010.com)
buy outlook 2010 (http://www.buyoutlook2010.com)
Office Professional Plus (http://www.buyoutlook2010.com/ms5-Office-Professional)