PDA

View Full Version : No access to a pullup bar, but...

Reagan
04-24-08, 02:42 PM
I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a pullup bar, but no luck. Hell I can't even find some monkey bars or a horizontal tree branch to grab on to. Right now I don't have the money for a gym membership or a doorway pullup bar, but I DO have access to a lateral pull-down weight machine.

Until I can get a hold of a proper bar to do pullups on, does anyone know a the lat-pulldown machine will suffice? I know it's not a substitute for the real thing, but until then I need something to keep those muscles from just going to complete waste.

Antwan2008
04-24-08, 02:50 PM
Yes that is what i used for awhile. They wouk your back muscles and other muscles depending on ur grip.

JoeSzynal
04-24-08, 03:27 PM
No bar at school?

WKranz
04-24-08, 03:39 PM
buy one man, its like 30 bucks at a sporting good store, way worth it.

RWilliams
04-24-08, 03:42 PM
Throw a folded towel over your door and do them that way...that's what I do, and it works.

Switchfire
04-24-08, 03:48 PM
Kinda off topic... But doing wide pullups will work the muscles more and make doing shoulder length ones easier correct?

Donut Brigade
04-24-08, 04:09 PM
I didn't have a pull-up bar for a while, but here's what I did instead:

push-ups
crunches
diamond ups (place your hands close to each in a diamond other and do push-ups; works your triceps)
ghetto dip bar (I hope you have a BATH at your house :banana:)

All of those things will help you with pull-ups. In the mean time keep looking for a spare $30. I got mine for free from my recruiter.

BR34
04-24-08, 05:26 PM
I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a pullup bar, but no luck. Hell I can't even find some monkey bars or a horizontal tree branch to grab on to. Right now I don't have the money for a gym membership or a doorway pullup bar, but I DO have access to a lateral pull-down weight machine.

Until I can get a hold of a proper bar to do pullups on, does anyone know a the lat-pulldown machine will suffice? I know it's not a substitute for the real thing, but until then I need something to keep those muscles from just going to complete waste.
I made a pullup bar while I was a Poolee.

Go to home depot/lowes and buy some steel gas pipe, your choice of size. I bought 4, 4 foot pipes for the sides, and one 5 foot pipe for the bar.

Dig a hole about 1 foot deep with and fill it with cement, then put the two bottom poles in the two holes. After the cement hardens just attach the rest of the puzzle and you've got yourself an almost indestructable pull up bar. It'll probably cost you about 30 bucks and you'll get a workout while making it.

BR34
04-24-08, 05:32 PM
You may also want to ask your recruiter if he has gym passes that you can use.

Marine84
04-24-08, 06:11 PM
How about a freakin' tree limb? You got trees in your yard? Improvise...........Adapt...............Overcome

Clark41
04-24-08, 06:43 PM
How about a freakin' tree limb? You got trees in your yard? Improvise...........Adapt...............Overcome

Yea just use a tree limb, thats what I have always used.

SEANstaah
04-24-08, 07:08 PM
Hell I can't even find some monkey bars or a horizontal tree branch to grab on to. Right now I don't have the money for a gym membership or a doorway pullup bar, but I DO have access to a lateral pull-down weight machine.

If that's all you've got, then use it like crazy. Give your Recruit Station a visit every other day and use the bar they've got.

Reagan
04-24-08, 07:12 PM
Actually, good news. I just got a call back from the temp-job I applied to and got hired. Looks like I'll be able to afford a pullup bar no problem now. Either that or a YMCA membership. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

benw2200
04-24-08, 07:17 PM
Kinda off topic... But doing wide pullups will work the muscles more and make doing shoulder length ones easier correct?

I'm no expert, but from what I gather the answer is no. It doesn't necessarily work the muscles more, it just changes the angle and potentially puts more stress on your shoulders and rotators. Again, I'm not the most informed person on this, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dig a hole about 1 foot deep with and fill it with cement, then put the two bottom poles in the two holes. After the cement hardens just attach the rest of the puzzle and you've got yourself an almost indestructable pull up bar. It'll probably cost you about 30 bucks and you'll get a workout while making it

Haha sounds like an interesting setup. Personally, I dropped $20 on a pullup bar from Dicks.. but I'm sure I didn't have near as much fun installing it ;)

egbutler1
04-24-08, 07:48 PM
I made one in shop in highschool but seein as your not in high school and probably don't have access to a welder and some metal i'd just buy one.

Petz
04-24-08, 10:18 PM
buy one man, its like 30 bucks at a sporting good store, way worth it.

hey tool, read the 1st post again.

Throw a folded towel over your door and do them that way...that's what I do, and it works.

freaking great idea, just hope his door will hold him... I don't think my crappy hinges would hold my 200lbs.

Switchfire
04-25-08, 12:26 AM
I can make 30 bucks by collecting cans... cant be that hard :P

bbond007
04-25-08, 07:57 AM
Here man, found this on ebay 16 bucks and there is a hole lot more just like it..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chin-Up-Pull-Up-Sit-Up-Push-Up-Multi-Bar-Use-with-P90X_W0QQitemZ150239798907QQihZ005QQcategoryZ28065 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SGT7477
04-25-08, 09:35 AM
Pullup bar what's next?

Reagan
04-25-08, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the link, bbond.