PDA

View Full Version : Sleeve Rolling

Moderboater
04-23-08, 05:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of a really good way to roll sleeves so they are tight and crisp. I have tried various methods, and I was wanting to see if anyone could offer me some ideas that I might be missing.

Moder

SlingerDun
04-23-08, 05:42 PM
Hot iron and starch and roll errr fold. Still do it with a few long sleeve shirts, who'd wanna conceal guns like that ;/

--->Dave

Petz
04-23-08, 07:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of a really good way to roll sleeves so they are tight and crisp. I have tried various methods, and I was wanting to see if anyone could offer me some ideas that I might be missing.

Moder

keep praticing(is this how you spell that?!), it took me 4 years and a switch of cammie design before I got it right... 'course i'm a rock Marine.....or am I?:evilgrin:

GolfingJarhead
04-24-08, 03:17 PM
Not to get off topic, but I remember the days before the MarPats where some people would get their sleeves cutt off and sewn to get the perfect "rolled up" look. That and people would cut off the buttons and sew the pockets shut to get them as flat as possible. I was in during the transition to the MarPat cammies and brown boots. Man did that make life better! No more spending 2 hours a night getting the uniform ready!

I just remember it took a lot of practice and patience to get the sleeves to look just right. I remember always doing them a little tight and then letting them loosen up throughout the day. I also remember how the upper arm pockets of the Marpat cammies made it a little more difficult.

Crusader20
04-24-08, 03:56 PM
an iron and cloth pins. Move up the sleeve with about 3/4 of an inch folded in. Place the cloths pins in place to hold the fold in place. Fold fold fold.

And get a ticket

to the Gun Show!!

Whitey
04-25-08, 02:06 PM
big tip, get rid of the boot camp blouse. i bought a new blouse and my sleeves look 20 times better

Petz
04-29-08, 10:02 PM
Those guys who did all that were called polished turds... besides all that was authorized was two creases... in your sleeves when they were down, and no wrinkles ever... and buffed out boots, I did this all the time and never failed an inspection... some moto Sgts "ordered" me to spit shine and crease my pants... all I did was pull out the order and tell them that will make my uniform un-serviceable... my boots wouldn't "breath" properly like they were intended, yada yada yada until they left me alone during inspections! I hazed Marines who pressed their MarPat cammies... I ordered them to buy new ones since they became un-serviceable once they starched them.

Not to get off topic, but I remember the days before the MarPats where some people would get their sleeves cutt off and sewn to get the perfect "rolled up" look. That and people would cut off the buttons and sew the pockets shut to get them as flat as possible. I was in during the transition to the MarPat cammies and brown boots. Man did that make life better! No more spending 2 hours a night getting the uniform ready!

I just remember it took a lot of practice and patience to get the sleeves to look just right. I remember always doing them a little tight and then letting them loosen up throughout the day. I also remember how the upper arm pockets of the Marpat cammies made it a little more difficult.

that is so much work... just tell him to practice, your short-cuts will only make him take as much time to learn as doing it the old fashioned way.... as I said before, practice kid!!!! practice!

an iron and cloth pins. Move up the sleeve with about 3/4 of an inch folded in. Place the cloths pins in place to hold the fold in place. Fold fold fold.

And get a ticket

to the Gun Show!!

themostwanted1
04-30-08, 08:17 PM
not sure if you are a grunt or not, but i noticed that someone said to use some starch. DO NOT USE STARCH on the new digis, they will reflect ambient light and you will stick out like a sore thumb if Haji Bob just so happens to have come across a pair of NVG's from a cache... FYI
you can use it on your cover though, roll of toilet paper underneath with an iron to sharpen up all 8 points, and youre good to go.

Petz
05-01-08, 08:59 PM
very good that you said that.... this is why starching has NEVER been approved for cammies!!!!

this has been true since the SgtMaj of the Marine Corps was a boot private, yet they did it anyways.... go figure. Combat Marines don't starch or press cammies that have a stiched in crease in them already, nor do we spray something that makes IR and ambient light light you up as if you're under a black light! don't be gay, just wash them! and don't use bleach to make yourself look salty, that's dumb too.

GolfingJarhead
05-01-08, 09:22 PM
and don't use bleach to make yourself look salty, that's dumb too.

Reminds me of one puke we had in the stumps. We had an old MSgt who retired and we ran into him at the PX one day. This school fresh fellow pogue (yep, i was one too) asked him for all of his old cammies. Said he wanted them for the field. A few days later he shows up with salty cammies with brand new name-tapes. Couldn't believe it. Those faded cammies only made his mosquito wings stick out even more.

Petz
05-01-08, 09:26 PM
hahaha!!! what a tool.

yellowwing
05-01-08, 09:31 PM
Yeah we had a two year guaranteed Cpl that faded his cammies to look old school. The only NCO I knew that was promoted before his time.

Petz
05-01-08, 09:46 PM
ha! wasn't the only though!! I knew a 2 year SGT!!! he ended up going to jail for selling Marine Corps HMMWV engines on Ebay while we were in Iraq in 2003.... go figure!

ttracker65
05-03-08, 06:01 AM
not to rain on anyones parade but starching was mandatory in the late 70' and early 80's for cammies, if the wern't they were considered un-sat Wow the new Corps thinks the Corps started with them.

brian barr
05-03-08, 11:13 AM
I also was in during the 70s and we were issued sateens. We had to starch them hard. I remember you could not sit down before an inspection so that the trousers would not break the crease. In 77 the corps started switching to cammies. I went to okinawa in April of 77 and had to purchase cammies when I got there. They were poplens. The best wearing cammie when in the feild in the summer time. We also had to starch them. They did look sharp. Moma Son did a great job starching them. Bravo Company 1st Tracs Camp Schawb. What a S'''' Hole.:tank:

Twitchell
05-04-08, 02:56 PM
In the late 90's they made us starch ours to. I don't think it was a writin rule at the time, but if your that 1 guy that did'nt starch yours, and everyone else did, then you looked like a bag off a$$.

As for the sleeve rolling, I was actually pretty good at it. The same with hi and tights. I made alot of money cutting peoples hair, and rolling sleeves.

1. One trick with the sleeves is roll them smaller than your arm, and you can pull out some slack if you need to.
2. Make sure you hold on tight to the overlaped part of the sleeve as you roll it, and don't get any wrinkles around it. If you do, try to pull the slack of the wrinkle into the overlap.
3. Every time you fold it make sure to pull all the extra slack out of it. Especialy the first roll. When you fold it, make sure that the roll is only the hemed part, and that it is the same width all the way around roll, or you'll mess up the rest of the sleeve. Pull all that extra slack out of it for sure because then you won't get that nice squar look.
4. I should have mentioned this first but, it always helps to buton up the blouse lay it face down on your rack, and pull the bottom of the blouse up over the collar. Now the seam of the arm pit of the sleeve should touch the shoulder seam. The sleeve should have the same width all the way down the arm, or you'll get alot of bulge and wrinkles.
5. Caution! Since your rolling them smaller than your arm, make sure you pull out slack little by little, as you put it on. DON'T just shove your arm through it or you might not get it off, not to mention loose your sirculation. We had to cut a 03-31's sleeve off one time, cause he had arms bigger than my head, and did'nt let me adjust it as he put it on. Needles to say I've never seen that big of a guy cry, and throw a temper tantrum like a 3 year old in my life. lol

I don't know if I told you anything you did'nt allready know, but I hope this helps. If it did'nt, come down to Cedar City Utah, and I'll show you in person. HAHAHAHA. Good luck.....

Twitchell
05-04-08, 03:08 PM
Man, I just gave away my get rich quick sceem hu. ****, oh well.

Danger Kane
05-04-08, 03:23 PM
Being able to roll sleeves really well was a mixed blessing for me in boot camp. On one hand, it's always nice to look squared away when everyone else has the sleeve of wizard thing going on. But I'll be damned if I wasn't rolling someone elses sleeves every day. I'm a pretty nice guy, so I'd help anyone asked.

One scholar recruit thought it would be an awesome idea to iron his rolled sleeves. While he was wearing them. Don't be that guy.

yellowwing
05-04-08, 05:56 PM
But I'll be damned if I wasn't rolling someone elses sleeves every day. I'm a pretty nice guy, so I'd help anyone asked.

Its not only our professional apparel, you have learned the concept of "uniform", :thumbup:

One Marine sticking out makes the unit look bad.

Petz
07-25-08, 11:28 AM
doesn't make the the unit look bad, it makes them stick out.

as for the tri colors... I can tell you that when you all say "we were told to starch them..." that you really couldn't read the inside of the cammies either... I don't care if you say you had an order... MCO said no starch, if your Sgt says to starch them that doesn't make it a MCO, just a small unit leader order.

great ideas on the money making plans... and good job on the self sacrifice in boot camp there kid.

Petz
07-25-08, 12:45 PM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_SCjVUmrlWDc/SFbQKNkPEQI/AAAAAAAACSI/EJz9xrdlbV8/s400/2008.06.16+stupid+anon.jpg

perfect point for it being the person who sticks out not the group.

ttracker65
07-25-08, 01:19 PM
May be for for some unit's I have never heard of that live in garrison but in the Marine Corps that I Love so well you take the last order first. As to Command it does not matter what the sticker says because the sticker is not CMC. It used to say to have your boots polished at all times hehe realy good in the jungle while on patrol, or not to use m-nu or use Braso but if you did not you looked like a 5hit Bird and were treated as such.
it is a simple thing...You are a Marine and need to look as such Bright and Shiny in Garrison And Invisable in the bush anything less IS UnSat

Petz
07-25-08, 01:26 PM
I looked like a Marine with wrinkle free cammies and buffed boots, I did not look like a bird... I resent you saying I was unsat. Rules are there because you don't know the full story of what goes on around you all the time.

if you want to polish yourself up you'll still be a turd (not you, I'm speaking in generalities) if you were a turd in he first place, just shinier.

Cammies are not the uniform that is supposed to look good, your cammies are "work" cloths. the service uniform should look 5hit hot!! no exceptions on that.

iamcloudlander
07-25-08, 01:46 PM
Quick question--what if you didn't wish to roll up the sleeves?

ttracker65
07-25-08, 02:50 PM
The Decision to have sleeves rolled, un-rolled Cammies or Charlies is done by the command in the in conjunction with the POD Which is set down by Div.,Bn. or Company pending on the Type of unit you are in. That also goes for starch no starch, Pressed or not pressed or Face Paint if the ocasion calls for it.

outlaw3179
07-25-08, 05:59 PM
I guess us Grunts do it , or did it differently. If you didnt look good in garrison I dont give a sh*t if you knew every reg by heart. You were still a turd. I heard something like that when I was a grunt at Camp Horno with 2/1.

pffan021
07-25-08, 09:34 PM
I remember one time in boot camp when we were getting dressed after the DI threw all of our stuff around. I ended up putting on my rack mate's blouse. Well, he wore a small reg and I wear a lg reg. Needless to say I was in alot of pain until we had a moment to switch. I've never seen my arms turn purple before.

Petz
07-27-08, 01:00 PM
The Decision to have sleeves rolled, un-rolled Cammies or Charlies is done by the command in the in conjunction with the POD Which is set down by Div.,Bn. or Company pending on the Type of unit you are in. That also goes for starch no starch, Pressed or not pressed or Face Paint if the occasion calls for it.

sleeves is HQMC now, with the ability to modify that if temp is an issue at the commander discretion. Starching has never been a command responsibility, cause it's a MCO (ever since 99 when the order I personally had was dated) to NOT put starch on them and have only two authorized creases. Unit commanders usually uphold MCO seeing as that is the basis of all Marines rules and regulations... otherwise I can give my Marines an order to wear their ribbons upside down and trousers inside out, because that was the last order they received.

also the "sticker" or tag on the inside of the blouse references/summarizes the Order.

FistFu68
07-27-08, 01:15 PM
:evilgrin: LIKE THAT U.S.ARMY RANGER CAPT.TOLD ME AT FT.BENNING,HE GOES GRUENWALD;SUM MEN LOOK RECON.YOU ARE RECON MARINE!!!:usmc: :iwo:

Petz
07-27-08, 01:18 PM
not quite sure what that is getting at... but I'd have to guess it's about looks and you can either look like something you're not or be what you look like??????

if the phrasing is wrong or whatever, I don't care, is it close?

Dave Coup
07-27-08, 01:52 PM
Dennis
This is off topic but Barnhart, Mo.?
I grew up down the road from you, Pevely

SF

Dave

FistFu68
07-27-08, 02:26 PM
:evilgrin: LIKE THE MARINES STARCHING THEIR FUCING BOONIE COVERS :evilgrin: :iwo:

Petz
08-05-08, 10:17 PM
yeah... un-sat!!!

Saiule
05-07-09, 10:47 AM
spit shine and crease my pants...

You spit shined your pants?

Rocky C
05-07-09, 12:38 PM
I also was in during the 70s and we were issued sateens. We had to starch them hard. I remember you could not sit down before an inspection so that the trousers would not break the crease. In 77 the corps started switching to cammies. I went to okinawa in April of 77 and had to purchase cammies when I got there. They were poplens. The best wearing cammie when in the feild in the summer time. We also had to starch them. They did look sharp. Moma Son did a great job starching them. Bravo Company 1st Tracs Camp Schawb. What a S'''' Hole.:tank:

You got that right Brother :thumbup: