PDA

View Full Version : Question about earning a degree and joining?

live opposition
04-23-08, 02:24 PM
My goals in life are to serve faithfully in the Marines and earn a degree in engineering, and keep the option to apply for officer commissioning open.

I have two scenarios:

1. Enlist for 4 years active duty (ages 20-24), complete my degree post-enlistment, which could take up to 4 years depending on the level of transferable credits I earned during active duty (24-28). I'd be enlisting under the OF containing MOS 7051.

The questions I have with this scenario is: How realistic is it that one would be able to complete a degree post enlistment? How many credits could one earn during 4 years of active duty? Is 28 too old for a prior service member to apply for an officer commissioning program such as PLC?

2. Enlist for 4 years reserve duty (20-24), complete my degree by the age of 25. Apply for PLC if desired.

The problem I have with this scenario is that the jobs are so limited.

I'd appreciate any help from Marines or poolees. Thanks!
I am familiar with MECEP and BOOST but I know they are very competitive and wanted to present this more realistic scenario.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-23-08, 02:35 PM
There is no way to tell you how many credits you could earn during a four year enlistment. I had 32 when I enlisted and got out with 62.

Of course it is reasonable to expect you could get a degree after an enlistment. I did, and so did many of my friends. It is probably easier for someone in the mid-20s to perform well in the classroom than it is for a 18 year old.

I don't know what the age cut offs are, it has been too long since I looked. I want to say it is 27 to become an officer, but you'll have to check on that.

Your best bet would be to call the OSO and talk to him about PLC. If they can get you into one of the spots, then that is the route to take to being an officer. There is no good reason to assume you need to enlist or should enlist prior to becoming an officer.

Rasczak
04-24-08, 06:47 PM
I know if you want to be an officer, the cut off for SNA and SNFO (both air) is 27 by the time you commission. If your a little older and you might be able to apply for an age waiver. For JAG its 33 I think. For all other ground contracts, for all other ground contracts, I think it's 30. I'm not too sure though.
www.MarineOCS.com is a great resource if your thinking about applying for a commission.

egbutler1
04-24-08, 07:34 PM
MECEP is crazy to get into, and pending on the MOS you choose you might not be able to get much of any credits while active being as you will be busy. If you want to be an officer and have a degree in engineering, why even enlist? Just go to college or finish up college than come into the Marines. But i don't know your reasons, maybe you just want to be a mustang, at least if thats what you do you will get a lot more respect from enlisted Marines once your an officer.

live opposition
04-28-08, 03:55 AM
Hey everyone thanks for the advice. After much consideration, research and conversation with several OSO's I have decided that if I'm going to go into the USMC I'm going to go active. However, I've been advised countless times to attend college first because of my goals. I dunno know if this is considered heresy in the thread but since I still would like to serve my country during college I've decided to enlist into the USAFR, mainly because the unit nearby my college is the premier reserve unit for Air Rescue (920th Reserve Wing, similar to the MOS I desired in the USMC, and many Fire Rescue personnel insist that the USAF offers the best training in this specialty; the USMCR units around here only had Motor T available). I admire all of those who have chosen the USMC and after 4 years once I'm done with college and the USAFR I plan on entering the USMC either through PLC or just going enlisted. I'm just hoping I still got your respect. Thanks and God Bless.
[PS Here is an article about the 920th Reserve Wing rescuing 6 Recon Marines in Iraq http://www.militarycity.com/iraq/1828477.html]