PDA

View Full Version : Poolee Challenge- Motivation

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-23-08, 11:29 AM
Attention all hard charging motivated Marine Corps Poolees.

This is your next challenge that i extend to you.

Motivation: A psychological concept with no single universally accepted definition, but which organisational sociologists aver concerns the determinants of intent, effort and tenacity, factors that push or pull us as individuals to behave in a particular manner.

That is the definition of motivation. I want every poolee to write about what they think it means to them. I want to know what things you can do to keep yourself motivated during times of hardship. I also want to know what you do to keep yourself motivated now, and how you plan to do it during Recruit Training when your will and heart might stray from the beaten path.

Every poolee will write a short paragraph (between 5 to 15 sentences long) explaining their thoughts on the matter. Constructive discussion is encouraged.

RULES FOR SUBMITTING A POST
-NO FIGHTING/ARGUING
-NO DISRESPECTING MARINES
-NO DISRESPECTING FELLOW PUPS
-USE CORRECT PUNCTUATION/SPELLING/GRAMMAR
-PUT THOUGHT INTO YOUR POST!

FAILURE TO FOLLOW SAID RULES WILL RESULT IN MODERATOR NOTIFICATION. (That Means a Mean Old SSgt Is Going To Bust Heads)

Poolee's Carry Out The Plan Of The Day! Fall Out!

Donut Brigade
04-23-08, 12:43 PM
Disproving people that have told me that some things cannot be done or I wasn't meant to do them. Then rubbing it in their faces. I was told that I can't PT, do 100 crunches in 2 minutes, too chicken to join, too many problems with authority, not enough motivation (all things said by my family following my enlistment). Now that I've done all those things and proved them wrong, they've moved on to telling me that I'm going to get dropped for various reasons. In little less than 6 months I will prove them wrong. Then I will rub it in their faces. That is all.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-23-08, 12:52 PM
Being a Marine isn't about rubbing things in other people's faces. Trust me, i know its hard making such a commitment, and not having the desired support, but do not let your motivation be to rub it in other people's faces. Do it for yourself, and if you do it for yourself and are determined to out perform even your wildest dreams, you will succeed. Your success will be the ultimate measure, and that in itself will prove people wrong. You need positive motivation pup, do it for the right reasons! I don't doubt your potential, just make sure its used for the right reasons!

Artemis
04-23-08, 01:00 PM
I have to agree with MOTG motovation is not about being able to look at someone and say I told you so. You need to have more feeling and thought behind it than being able to prove that someone else was wrong. Which also plays into good leadership skills. Food for thought, do you want to be a Marine because someone told you you can't do it? If the answer is yes you may want to rethink your choice.

Donut Brigade
04-23-08, 01:30 PM
Food for thought, do you want to be a Marine because someone told you you can't do it? If the answer is yes you may want to rethink your choice.

No.

For the past 18 years I've been wanting so many things yet I was told by my parents that I couldn't do them, and I was dumb enough to listen to them. That's how things were when I was growing up. I've always wanted to be a US Marine growing up in a town of 10K in a country you've heard twice of (Ukraine). Who could imagine that my mom would meet my step-dad and I would end up here in USA. One in a million chance!

The dream of becoming a Marine was now a possiblity...and I didn't listen to my parents this time.

Hopefully I cleared that up for you Corporal.

Ub3rmike
04-23-08, 05:42 PM
Motivation is a quantifiable measure of how much one is inclined into accomplishsing the task at hand.

The primary aspect of "motivation" is derived from the will to refuse to quit. As a current poolee and future officer candidate hopeful, I remind myself of Colonel Robert Chase Jr., a former CO at OCS. "If they drop on request, they are finished, they do not get a second chance, there is no do over in the Marine Corps, quitting becomes endemic, you quit once, you'll quit again, and we can't tolerate that in the Marines. If they're not ready for that complete dedication, then they have no place among us."

In addition to the social stigma and the suffering brought about on one's brothers from quitting (such as IT, or worse in a combat situation), one can find motivation by the title and prestige that comes with becoming and acting like a Marine.

A good tip for other poolees: By becoming preoccupied with the well being of others (for example, motivating fall outs during a hump when you yourself are tired), one can derive motivation from the fact that you are focused on helping your future brothers instead of the human body's instinctive response to adversity.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-23-08, 05:46 PM
A good tip for other poolees: By becoming preoccupied with the well being of others (for example, motivating fall outs during a hump when you yourself are tired), one can derive motivation from the fact that you are focused on helping your future brothers instead of the human body's instinctive response to adversity.

Trust me, that is advice that works. You forget about your own problems when you are focused on helping someone else fix theirs. Whether it be on a PT session, a hump, or boot camp. Help each other out, and you will find, you are helping yourself as well.

Donut Brigade
04-23-08, 05:47 PM
Good advice mike.

SCrawford
04-23-08, 08:10 PM
This poolees definition of motivation is the will deep inside that makes an individual focused on an objective or goal. The will to accomplish that goal or objective forces them to make a scarifice that they are willing to endure for the sake of accomplishment. The will to make a sacrifice that benefits them in obtaining accomplishment is motivation.
To stay motivated during RT i plan on using intrinsic (sp) motivation with extrinsic(sp) motivation. Intrinsic motivation means coming from the inside, i have a goal that i want and thats to become a Marine. I believe this is the more important motivation. When i have a bad day during RT all i have to do is ask what am i doing here? To me the answer is an easy one. Now extrinsic motivation is an outside motivator, whether it be a DI or another recuit, and more importantly my platoon. To use this motivation is as easy as looking next to you.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-23-08, 08:28 PM
Lack of participation is pitiful. Everyone has looked at it, its got over a 100 views, and only 9 posts. Thank you to those who participated.

Spears
04-23-08, 09:54 PM
Motivation, for me is easy, i can motivate myself in many ways, but the motivation im proud of, and have no problem bragging about are the young men and women under my charge in the JROTC program....

SEANstaah
04-23-08, 09:55 PM
Motivation is the intrinsic force within the mind that forces one to persist. In times of hardship, this poolee believes that one must ignore all external influences and distractions, and stay focused on the goal at hand. This poolee stays motivated by doing just that. During Recruit Training, this poolee will say motivated by simply conforming to the system, and remembering why this poolee volunteered to become part of the United States Marine Corps.

Rasczak
04-23-08, 11:13 PM
Motivation is the one thing that keeps every person moving towards any one goal, be it good or bad. Motivation can be caused by anything from new competition to pushing oneself over any obstacles they may come across. The one thing that has always kept me motivated is knowing that it will make me a stronger person. Nothing in life is easy. The greater the challenge, the greater the reward. I will stay motivated during training the same way I've stayed motivated during other things. I'm older than some people that will be around me, because of that, I'm going to have to set an example. By putting myself into a position where others look up to me, I have the responsibility of staying motivated to help those around me do the same. With that, we will be able to make it through what will probably have been the hardest thing any of us have done up to that point.

bbond007
04-25-08, 03:52 PM
Motivation to me means being 120% dedictaoned 100% of the time. Internal state or condition that activates behavior and gives it direction towards the goals you have set forth for urself. I am in very good shape right now but I am motivatied to the level to push my self to make my self better. I don't have a running partner so i have to push my self to make my self better. I ran my 3 miles just yesterday in 18:30. I also know Recruit Training will be hell but it is the motivation and determination that will push me though so I can earn the title U.S Marine.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-25-08, 04:19 PM
BBond, if i may. In my own opinion your signature is a bit distasteful. That is not what the Marines do, and it sounds like something Code Pink would say.

Is that what you think joining the Marines is about? Killing unique and interesting people? Just curious.

Switchfire
04-25-08, 05:23 PM
BBond, if i may. In my own opinion your signature is a bit distasteful. That is not what the Marines do, and it sounds like something Code Pink would say.

Is that what you think joining the Marines is about? Killing unique and interesting people? Just curious.

I believe it is supposed to be somewhat humorous. I think I have seen it on a very old recruiting poster in some war time period.

But thats just me.

bbond007
04-25-08, 06:32 PM
No Sir I did not in any way mean for it to be distasteful. I found the saying on a t-shirt on Ebay, Im sorry sorry Sir but Switchfire is right it is meant to be funny Sir not distasteful im sorry if it offended you or any one in any way I apologize.

SCrawford
04-25-08, 08:56 PM
Im not a Marine yet but i do have family that were in the Corp, and i believe 100% that they are not all killers. Which seems to be a stereotype of Marines. While my cousin served, with 2nd LAR, he traveled to Haiti and Iraq met people just like your quote and yes even had to unfortunatly take lifes. But in no way is my cousin a killer! During his time in the Corp Ive dealt with kids at my school who believe that "Marines just makes you killers..." and well they do teach and train you to kill but i believe that no Marine is a killer. I took offence in hearing that and if it wasnt for a teacher that kid would have needed his jaw wired shut. Im telling you this because you seemed as ignorant as the kid i dealt with. Im just stating my opinion from having family who "traveled to strange, exotic lands(which meant they were far away from home) and meet unique, interesting people,(other Marines) and yes unfortunately killed"

Artemis
04-25-08, 09:25 PM
bbond007, I don't care if you think it is humorous or where you found it but you need to remove it.

RYDERKUR
04-25-08, 09:27 PM
And get that E-1 out of your profile, hell, you don't even rate E-0 in the Marine Corps yet. I see you had some difficulty filling it out it appears, but figure out how to get it taken care of.

bbond007
04-25-08, 10:36 PM
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->Ok i have removed it, and did not mean for it to be distasteful, im sorry if it offended anybody in any way I apologize, its gone. And has for my profile i have talked to sev people about it "I" can not fix it. I have emailed and emailed them to Fix my profile.
Thanks,
Poolee Bond.

SCrawford
04-25-08, 10:45 PM
I believe you, i understand that one thing might be funny to one may be disrespectful to another. Theres bigger problems to overcome than this. Just make sure you tip toe around about stuff like that.

bbond007
04-25-08, 10:59 PM
Yea i know what your saying but im not one to tipy toe no where...Ive tryed to fix it but if people ask ill tell them, but it explains it in my profile.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-26-08, 12:07 AM
Thanks for correcting yourself pup, now back to the challenge! Everyone post when someone is corrected, but no one post the challenge.

It's about to get wicked in here.:evilgrin:

mdlangley
04-26-08, 08:03 AM
I know I'm not a Poolee yet and if this needs to be deleted I will comply and understand. I came across it and thought it might help me if I just wrote. Also know that this is being typed after a long night shift and while I try to stay awake so I can go PT with the Poolees in town, so please forgive small errors. Thank you.

Motivation is not something that comes easy for me. I have a problem with not finishing things. I can be very gung-ho about something for a week or two and then it all falls apart. The heart of this problem is that instead of sucking it up and finishing whatever it is that I started, I get gung-ho about something new instead. Then the cycle repeats itself.

Becoming a United States Marine is the first thing that I have wanted enough to struggle through the bad parts and keep after it. The process is slow and tedious. The extra weight I need to lose almost seems to know that I usually can't stick to something and therefore is pretty stubborn about packing up and leaving town. The scale coming up with the same numbers day after day is disheartening.

Motivation to me is knowing that if I keep it up then I will be able to say that I did give it my best. It's knowing that if for some reason I am not able to sign the dotted line it won't be because I got lazy and gave up. It's knowing that if I do make it in and finish boot camp it won't be another gimmie in my life. I will have earned it. I will have something to be proud of. I will be the best man that I can be and I will not be wasting the time God gave me on this world playing Call of Duty and eating myself to, at worst, an early grave or, at best, a life full of almosts.

If nothing else it motivates me to know that even though this isn't easy, just the fact that I am sticking to something worthwile is already helping me become a better person, a better husband, and even a better son.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for all your help Marines. I don't know any Marines personally so being able to come on here and have access to the wisdom and guidance from people who have "been there, done that" has been instrumental in my ongoing transformation.

Miller816
04-26-08, 02:39 PM
To me, to be motivated is to adopt an attitude where you push yourself as far as you can go and to accept nothing less than success. Motivation is not only pushing yourself 100% but taking pride in and believing in what you are doing.

Every Tuesday night when I walk into the recruiting station for our Poole Meeting and I walk up to the hatch with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on it I get this sensation in my stomach that to most people is either nervousness or excitement. It is not nervousness for me. It is a little bit of excitement but mostly it is motivation. It might sound strange to some but I definitely think motivation has a feeling.

When I am doing PT and my muscles are getting tired and my breathing is getting heavy and I would like nothing better than to collapse right there on the deck and chug an ice cold water bottle, I think about what I am actually doing. I think about the organization that in a few short months I may have the privelage of being a part of if I am good enough to make the cut. I think about the 232 years of Marine Corps history and the generations that have fought and died in places around the world like Belleau Wood, Peleliu and Iwo Jima, Pusan and the Chosin Reservoir, Khe Sanh and Hue City, and those fighting as I write this in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think about everything those Marines must have gone through so that this great country could remain free and people like me could live their lives.

Now if that thought does not motivate the heck out of you I do not know what will. That is when I push myself harder. That is when I realize I am doing something a whole lot bigger than myself. That is when that feeling in your stomach is accompanied by that chill down your spine. If that is not motivation, then I don't know what is.

David La Pierre
04-26-08, 09:55 PM
What motivation means to me is very simple. Motivation is the reasoning that drives me to do the best I can, and to complete any tasks given to me. That sounds a bit dry, but it is the best way I could think of to put it into words, and to accurately describe it.
What motivates me though? Well there are different things that can be motivating in certain circumstances, but I think there are a few things that always motivate me, no matter what I am doing.

The will to do what is right - Everyone has their own idea of what is 'right', and for most people there are times when what is right is not what is most appealing. A choice that has 'rightness' though has its own sort of appeal. I can't really say why, but it is just better.

To be the best - I want to be the best. Not only for the options and capabilities it adds to life, but there is also a sort of beauty to building toward perfection (even if it is never reached).

To give truth to my word - I want what I say to mean something, and I want people to be able to depend on me. When I say I will do something, then there is a bit of that 'rightness' in the decision to make it get done.

To be a good model for others - What I do reflects on other people. I want for others the same things that I want for myself, and doing something that does not agree with what I want myself to be just spreads it like a disease.

jms22
04-27-08, 08:54 AM
Motivation to me is simple. The will to run on fumes. When the going is tough, and you are beat - need to eat, need to sleep, hell even just need to get away... Motivation is what will keep you going. Everyone draws motivation from different places. For some it will be the cute girl down the road whose house you run by on a morning session. For others it will be proving to themselves and others that they can do the task nobody though possible. Yet for others it is the people depending on them. Whatever you find your motivation from, be it intrinsic or external, remember that when the going gets rough.

For me? A simple :flag: does the trick.

dhenderson88
05-03-08, 09:32 AM
I'm just about to finish college, so I do constantly go "well with my education I could go do this." To be honest I don't even know if I want to make a career out of what I studied. It sometimes feels like a phase of some sort, but the want to be a Marine has always been there and will always be there. With every pull-up I add to my count and ever second I cut off my run time my motivation doubles itself as I begin to think, "I can and will do this, there is no way I'm leaving that island without an EGA."