PDA

View Full Version : The few, the proud -- joining the Marines

thedrifter
04-23-08, 02:45 AM
The few, the proud -- joining the Marines
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
By Kris Todd, Daily Reporter Staff

(Part one of a four-part series)

While some military recruiters have found it hard to come by new enlistees, three Spencer High School (SHS) seniors are among those who have chosen to serve in the U.S. Marine Corps. Broghan Hawley, Shawn Becker and Matthew Knipe may have different reasons for signing on the dotted line, but their commitment to the mantra -- "The few. The proud. The Marines." -- is identical.

Matthew Knipe

The 18-year-old son of Charles and Sheri Knipe wanted to be part of "the best and the most elite," so he did his homework. He also met his mother's requirements of reviewing all the options available to him and pursuing his college degree before enlisting on Aug. 17.

"He's always felt a responsibility and wanted to serve his country," Sheri Knipe recalled. "But Matthew's also always had kind of this little pull that he wants to do it -- but he also knows that Mom wants him to go to college. So, he did all of his research, came back and has the next 10 years of his life all planned out."

Knipe completed his high school work early and left Feb. 12 for basic training in San Diego. He'll return to Iowa following his May 9 graduation for a 10-day leave, where Knipe will participate in the SHS baccalaureate ceremony before returning to San Diego for another 30 days of Marine Corps training.

After attending Marine Corps Engineering School in Missouri this summer, Knipe will serve as a Reservist while attending classes at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, where he intends to earn a degree in civic engineering while serving monthly in an Omaha-based Marine Reserve unit. Knipe will attend the Platoon Leaders Course program next summer and follow that up with Officer Candidate School during the summer of 2010.

Once he earns his collegiate degree from UNO, Knipe will then begin five years of active duty as a lieutenant in the Marines.

"In order to become a professional licensed engineer, you have to have job training under somebody. Once he starts his active duty, his five years of service is considered on-the-job training," Sheri Knipe explained. "So, once Matthew completes his five years, at that point he'll be considered a professional licensed engineer and he can either continue (in the military), if he enjoys the Marines, or he can come out in civilian life and be definitely marketable."

While Knipe's maternal grandfather, John Tucker, served in the U.S. Air Force for 20 years, his father served in the Army National Guard for eight years during the Korean and Vietnam wars.

Next month's high school graduate stands to benefit from several financial perks offered by the Marine Corps, including $5,000 a year for his education from the G.I. Bill and $5,000 annually from the officer candidate training program, along with other scholarships and financial aid Knipe is expected to receive.

The basic trainee, meanwhile, who had never fired a rifle, recently qualified as an expert marksman.

"Every single letter (we receive from him) is so positive," his mother reported. "He's doing what he wants to do -- and he's enjoying it. It doesn't matter how tough it is, he knows this is something he wants to do."

Shawn Becker

"I'm willing to fight for the freedoms that everyone has, to protect those freedoms," the 18-year-old son of Brett Becker and Jean Leonard said recently. "I've had some people come up to me and tell me that the military is a stupid idea. But that's their right to say it -- and I want to defend that right."

From Spencer, Becker was taken to the Marine Corps recruiting depot in Sioux City last summer. He then officially enlisted Aug. 23 at the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS).

His next trip to MEPS will be July 7, when he ships out for basic training in San Diego.

When asked why he chose to join this specific branch of the military, Becker said, "I've always liked to push myself and better myself. The Marine Corps offered challenges, and it just interested me more than any of the other armed services."

The SHS senior, who acknowledges the familial support of his decision to join the military, has a strong military background among his family members. Becker's grandfather, Lynn Leonard, and cousin, Adam Magnuson, both served in the U.S. Navy. Several men on the paternal side of his family also served in the Marines.

"My mom was kind of scared for me at first," Becker said, "because she didn't want to see me go into combat. But, it ultimately was my decision -- and I think my family respects that."

Becker, who signed on for four years active duty and then four years in the Marine Corps Reserve, is already preparing for what will be required of him during basic training. He's running two miles each day, pushing weights in school every day and studying his Marine Corps hand guide at night.

"My goal is to spend my four years in the Marines, and then I'll see where it goes from there," he said. "But right now, I'm planning on getting my eight years done and opening my own auto shop."

During his time of service of his country, Becker will be trained as an equipment vehicle repairman and be responsible for fixing heavy machinery and light trucks.

Broghan Hawley

The 18-year-old son of Brad and Julie Hawley has stated he wanted to join the military ever since he was a tot. While television commercials displaying "dress blue" uniforms helped cement this notion, 2005 SHS alumnus Kyle Johnson, a U.S. Marine Lance Cpl. currently stationed at the Marine Corps base in Quantico, Va., further piqued Hawley's interest in joining this branch of the military as a freshman.

"By about my junior year, I was pretty sure this was what I was going to do. Then, of course, I had to convince my parents, which was kind of a process in its own," Hawley said with a smile. "They were supportive of what I wanted to do, but that's not what they wanted me to do -- at first. But I kept telling them, 'This is really what I want to do.'"

But since his July 25 enlistment, Hawley reported his parents have been "very supportive" of his five-year decision.

"Dad actually got interested in it (the military) after he got out of college. He won't admit it, but I'm pretty sure if he could go back in time he'd do it too," Hawley revealed.

Since enlisting, Hawley has been running, working out and preparing for basic training by studying his Marine Corps training manual. Once the teenager graduates on May 25, he'll enter boot camp on July 21. Thirteen weeks later, Hawley plans to arrive home for a 10-day visit before returning for a month of combat training and more schooling on aviation navigation. There, he'll be trained to fix wings on airplanes and rotary blade systems on helicopters.

The SHS senior will use his five years of service in the U.S. Marine Corps as a time to "experience things" and decipher what he wants to pursue next in life. Hawley, who plans to attend college and earn either a master's or doctorate degree, will be awarded a $50,000 Marine Corps College Fund for educational assistance.

Ellie