PDA

View Full Version : Midwest success not enough for new Marine

thedrifter
04-26-03, 08:54 AM
Midwest success not enough for new Marine

Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 200342514120
Story by Lance Cpl. Jess N. Levens

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(April 18, 2003) -- He was a typical young man growing up in the Midwest. He played sports, went to high school and graduated. He earned a college degree and moved on to a high-paying job. Something was missing though. He needed more.

Lance Cpl. Zachariah Meyer, guide, Platoon 3062, Company M, was an average kid. He grew up in Topeka, Kan., with his parents and little brother.

He loved sports, the outdoors, and the Kansas Jayhawks.

In high school, he played football and wrestled. When he graduated high school he was then off to college.

Meyer was accepted into Washburn University in Topeka, where he studied business administration. College seemed to be very easy, according to Meyer.

"All through school I worked full-time as the marketing manager of a water treatment plant," said Meyer.

"School was really just my second priority," said Meyer.

Full-time work didn't seem to block his path to academic success as he graduated from Washburn with a bachelor's degree in 1998. He could see success looming ahead.

A business degree opened up several options for Meyer and he accepted a position as the manager of a local bank.

"I was making a lot of money," said Meyer. "But I still felt something was missing in my life."

It didn't take long for Meyer to realize what was missing in his life.

"After some soul searching, I figured out what I needed," said Meyer. "I wanted to serve my country."

With the decision made, Meyer went to the nearest Marine Corps recruiting office and enlisted.

Within weeks, he was on his way to the Depot to undergo recruit training.

"As soon as he got here, we could see he was more mature than the other recruits," said Staff Sgt. Walter G. Siquieros, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3062, Company M.

Meyer entered the Corps at the age of 28, and he had experienced many things the other recruits hadn't.

"I came here older than the other recruits," said Meyer.

"I already finished college and was in a leadership position at the bank, which made it easier to understand and obey the drill instructors," he added.

His maturity shined, and he was almost immediately appointed guide, according to Siquieros.

"He is just so well-rounded," said Siquieros. "The way he conducts himself shows a higher level of maturity."

While in recruit training, Meyer excelled in many ways.

He shot an expert rifle score, and brought his physical fitness test score from a second class, to a first class score.

His premier leadership skills and meritorious performance earned him the title of Marine, and company honorman, the top new Marine in the company, according to Siquieros.

Meyer's hard work didn't just benefit him. He impacted other recruits in his platoon.

"(Meyer) puts in more work than anyone," said Pvt. Mike Jones, Platoon 3062, Co. M.

"He is the last to go to bed and the first to wake. He always helps out the weaker recruits and keeps us out of trouble," he added.

Meyer was so eager to become a Marine, he enlisted open contract.

This seems to be an all-American story, according to Meyer.

"I had a lot going for me," said Meyer. "But I just want to serve my country."

The Drifter

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003425144122/$file/LCpl_Meyer_lr.jpg

Lance Cpl. Zachariah L. Meyer, guide, Platoon 3062, Company M, and company honorman, practices guidon movements to prepare for final drill.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jess N. Levens