PDA

View Full Version : Languages

Auwe76
04-23-08, 01:30 AM
So I'm going to be registering for classes next week, and I was wondering if y'all could give me some advice/recommendations.

I plan on taking four years of a language, and maybe, if I can handle it, another language the the second two years.

So here are my options:

German
Russian
Mandarin
Japanese
French
Vietnamese(maybe)

Any input would be nice.

Respecfully,
A. West

immaproshooter
04-23-08, 01:46 AM
german...jap.... are probably two useful ones if you are goin active you could end up in some of the areas....lol...jap more then german.....are those the only options your school offers?

Auwe76
04-23-08, 02:01 AM
they also offer Italian and Spanish, but I really dont want to learn either of those right now. And I can also technically take an arabic, a farsi, or a punjabi language course. But those are all way on the other side of town (at a different school) so I dont know if I want to take those.

Bazzard
04-23-08, 02:46 AM
well spanish is the un-official second language of the USA. You get many a good job with spanish in your bag of tricks.

immaproshooter
04-23-08, 02:48 AM
spanish is easy to learn anyone can go and learn that easily on their own if they have the motivation in them.....take the chance to learn not socommon languages you may have a achance of using in the future if various countries......

NeedSomePT
04-23-08, 11:57 AM
Are you looking for a language that will help you most in your day to day life or that will help for a career in the military?
For day to day life, I'd say Spanish as like someone has said it's like hte second official language of the US.
With the way the world is going now, I'd think Mandarin or Russian would be a valuable asset in the military.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-23-08, 02:41 PM
If you're looking for something that will help you in the military Farsi or Mandarin are the way to go. The current "bad guys" may well be speaking Farsi, being able to use that to your advantage is always good. And of course, China is always getting bigger and more powerful so the need for people that speak Mandarin is growing as well.

Seoke
04-23-08, 03:16 PM
If I were you I'd consider learning farsi

jackson07
04-23-08, 05:42 PM
Go arabic or farsi. Russian is being phased out of the Marine Corps. You should consider being a crypto-linguist when you enlist.

Bullpup
04-23-08, 08:20 PM
I'd go with Farsi. The spoken language is a lot easier to learn then Arabic or Manderin. Farsi is the most similiar to English of all the eastern languages (as far as I know). Plus it will probably be pretty helpful soon.

1stRad2671
04-24-08, 05:10 PM
Farsi

Rasczak
04-24-08, 06:54 PM
Mandarin is not as hard as some people would think. I've been taking it for about a year now and I feel i could get by with what I know. If you can speak it, you'll be somewhat alright. The characters are the hardest part of it. Once you get the pattern though, it starts to fall together very quickly.