PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Armstrong program

benw2200
04-22-08, 06:08 AM
I'm currently scheduled to ship out at the end of June. At last Saturday's pool function I did 15 underhand pullups- but the best I've ever done is 18 (I was sick Saturday, not exactly at my peak). I'm starting the Armstrong Pullup program, and I hope to improve to at least 20 pullups before I leave for boot camp.

For anyone who doesn't know what it is, the workout can be found here:

http://oneweb.utc.edu/~semperfi/physical.htm

First, I'm used to doing my pullups underhand, but the program says it's designed for overhand. Should I try to adapt to doing them overhand? Or go through the program underhand?

Second.. if I'm doing 15-18 pullups, what would be a good starting number for my "training sets"? It says 5 or 6 is a good number if you're advanced, but what is advanced?

Last question.. I also weightlift almost every day at school. Should I start taking it easier on the arms and chest exercises while I'm on the Armstrong program? Or can I do both and not overtrain? By the way I always lift in the mornings and plan to do the armstrong thing in the afternoon.

Any advice would be appreciated :thumbup:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-22-08, 10:51 AM
First, at 18 pull ups you qualify for advanced.

Doing pull ups is what the program is about. If you are much more successful at doing them underhanded (chin ups) then go ahead and do that. But, you have more capability overhanded. When you are underhanded the body will first seek to use your biceps to do the movement. When you're overhanded it is more natural for the body to use the back. Since the back is a major muscle group and the biceps are not, you will be able to do more overhanded when properly trained to do so.

As for your workout routine- you have two options. You can either do a lower level of Armstrong's plan, or you can cut the weight. You will overtrain if you do both to the maximum, thus getting weaker.

Seyborg
04-22-08, 11:22 AM
I personally like the over-hand method.

I already had a big back though..

The underhand method, as stated above, puts most stress on your biceps.

The overhand does work you biceps, just a little difference, in my opinion. It also shreds your laterals. Forearm strength can be gained as well.

Try some over hand. You can probably pull out 10. Start from there. I like overhand because it works more. IMHO

-Seyborg

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-22-08, 12:03 PM
For what it is worth, the muscles aren't laterals. It is the latissimus dorsi that you think of when you say lats.

benw2200
04-22-08, 08:20 PM
Thanks..

I'm thinking that I'll keep working out, and do a lighter Armstrong version...then once I graduate and have about 5 weeks left till boot camp I'll turn it up and hopefully be to 20 by the time June 30th rolls around.

Seyborg
04-23-08, 04:28 PM
Sorry Sir!

Anatomy was a long time ago, won't happen again though!

Seyborg

crazymjb
04-23-08, 04:39 PM
I have found the overhand ones to be easier to gain with after breaking that initial boundry. Afterall, your lats are much larger than your biceps, and while you do use both groups with either excercise, wide grip pullups place a much larger emphasis on your back, which with work can be made much stronger than your biceps.

Mike