PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone say you can walk a mile and a half in a 13 minutes??

Nvmdfth
04-21-08, 09:33 AM
I was just reading on yahoo and ive heard it everywhere else so is it really possible to walk a mile and a half in 13 minutes?

Chumley
04-21-08, 09:50 AM
On average a person walks 3-4 miles an hour. Marines force march pace is 3-6 miles an hour. 13 minutes is a great walking pace for 1.5 miles.

Don't believe me, go pace it yourself.
While you're out there, find out your average number of paces per 100 yds aka your "pace count". Each person has their own average.

This is my 500th post on Leatherneck.com.

C

Smitty Puffs
04-21-08, 11:07 AM
I walked 12 miles yesterday in a little under 2 and a half hours. So yes it is entirely possibly.

drillinstructor
04-21-08, 11:32 AM
It is not easy that is for sure, you would have to walk over 6 mph to do it and that makes a very fast walk..........Someone do the math and get the exact mph....Semper Fi!!!!!! Much easier to just run.

Gary Hall
04-21-08, 12:14 PM
It's amazing how we can't agree on anything any more, that's why my standard reply to nearly any discussion is that's the reason 400 brands of ice cream is insufficient. With this crappy political correctness and mult-messism 400 brands may not be enough. Yeah, up front this is what to expect from an old grunt, and this one knows what he is talking about. As a 5-year 0311 PFC let me tell you about marching: As I remember the standard marching rate was 120 steps per minute. At about 3 feet per step thats 360 feet per minute. So for 15 minutes that's 5400 feet per every 15 minutes or a little better than 1 mile every 15 minutes. And that's what we (and self here) did for a living. I recommend it, Wish I could still do it, but I can't, (aged 77). And we didn't do this occasionally, we did it in platoon formation, Officer's up front, walking, not riding, and Marines, we did it with full packs, 2 canteens of water and nothing else (to eat), carrying M-1 rifles (grunts ), Sgts & Officers carried M-1 Carbines, for a full 25 miles, per March, continuous until we returned to base, and ran the last 100 yards or so. And in rifle companies, this was not an ocassional event, it was done on a regular basis, as the Sgts & Platoon Leaders thought necessary. I never saw nor thought of anybody riding in anything, any time, we humped it. It was the best job I ever had, before or since in this ****ty civilian existance. I am thankful for the experience and wish I could do it again. Kindest regards & SF, Gary Hall. And as I write this I hear some air headed reporter tsk-tsking about John McCain's bad temper, on my idiot box. I say keep it up Big John, peel the paint off their walls if you want to. That's better than the rest of the rattle mouthing trash talking flannel mouths worthless feces-heads. Marines, I ask that you all vote for John McCain, and you'll feel better.

Seoke
04-21-08, 01:04 PM
It's 6.666666 repeating MPH (aka 6.7) which is quite a fast speed walk if you can do it. At least I think thats what it was last time I calculated it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-21-08, 01:17 PM
To get back to the initial post. People say you can walk the distance not to encourage you to try to walk it (go ahead- walk the IST in boot camp and see what happens to you) but to indicate how slow of a run it actually is. A slow jog will get you through the required IST distance in the amount of time given to you. It is kind of like saying "its so hot I could die". It isn't really hot enough to kill you- but it is an indication of it being really hot.

drillinstructor
04-21-08, 01:47 PM
It's 6.666666 repeating MPH (aka 6.7) which is quite a fast speed walk if you can do it. At least I think thats what it was last time I calculated it.

Show us your work....

Reagan
04-21-08, 01:58 PM

That sounds rather SATANIC!!! D:

KevinR90
04-21-08, 02:02 PM
on a treadmill i'm normally at an easy jog at 6 mph which is a 10 min mile pace- according to the machine.

buick233
04-21-08, 05:45 PM
1.5 miles/13 min = 0.115385 miles per minute.

multiply times 60 minutes.
0.115385 mpm x 60 min = 6.9231 miles per hour.

...or about 7 mph. Pretty darn fast.

bbond007
04-21-08, 06:03 PM
Yea thats a real fast walk..if you run 10mph it is a 6 min mile so thats a real fast walk but it can be done. I ran a 5k not to long ago, and the older ppl can book it power walking so it can be done but hard..

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-21-08, 06:34 PM
OK, I got curious so I went to the USA Track and Field site to look up some records. Mikhail Shchennikov from Russia holds the world record for 5K race walking. He walked the distance (which we all know is a little over 3 miles) in just over 18 minutes. Thus, he could have walked his way to a full 100 points on the PFT.

Since that works out to about 9 minutes for 1.5 miles- I guess it is proof that you can cover the distance in under 13 minutes by walking.

SlingerDun
04-21-08, 06:49 PM
is it really possible to walk a mile and a half in 13 minutes?<!-- / message -->Thats humpin right along and unless your in a waddling race or somebody is force marching you with a heavy ruck, it's not a very efficient gait and it makes more sense to break stride into a dog trot. It's easier on your fuel consumption and body parts especially the hips.

On urban terrain and mild country i'll cover a mile walked in about 17 to 19 minutes, not a power walker but not slow, my pace is average or above. Those are pretty exact times and distances covered, from my field journals and observations from others. In the mountains on marginal paths and game trails it can take three times as long. You can't power hike if theres even a remote chance of turning an ankle out in the bresh 15 miles from a county road.

--->Dave

Petz
04-21-08, 07:13 PM
It's amazing how we can't agree on anything any more, that's why my standard reply to nearly any discussion is that's the reason 400 brands of ice cream is insufficient. With this crappy political correctness and mult-messism 400 brands may not be enough. Yeah, up front this is what to expect from an old grunt, and this one knows what he is talking about. As a 5-year 0311 PFC let me tell you about marching: As I remember the standard marching rate was 120 steps per minute. At about 3 feet per step thats 360 feet per minute. So for 15 minutes that's 5400 feet per every 15 minutes or a little better than 1 mile every 15 minutes. And that's what we (and self here) did for a living. I recommend it, Wish I could still do it, but I can't, (aged 77). And we didn't do this occasionally, we did it in platoon formation, Officer's up front, walking, not riding, and Marines, we did it with full packs, 2 canteens of water and nothing else (to eat), carrying M-1 rifles (grunts ), Sgts & Officers carried M-1 Carbines, for a full 25 miles, per March, continuous until we returned to base, and ran the last 100 yards or so. And in rifle companies, this was not an ocassional event, it was done on a regular basis, as the Sgts & Platoon Leaders thought necessary. I never saw nor thought of anybody riding in anything, any time, we humped it. It was the best job I ever had, before or since in this ****ty civilian existance. I am thankful for the experience and wish I could do it again. Kindest regards & SF, Gary Hall. And as I write this I hear some air headed reporter tsk-tsking about John McCain's bad temper, on my idiot box. I say keep it up Big John, peel the paint off their walls if you want to. That's better than the rest of the rattle mouthing trash talking flannel mouths worthless feces-heads. Marines, I ask that you all vote for John McCain, and you'll feel better.

this is spam.... mainly 'cause I don't feel like reading a book and you didn't start on topic.... stop that.

second... if the average is 3-4 MPH walking... that means 15-20 min per mile... uh, this must be a Recruiter who never finished their 'Math For Marines' MCI...

kid don't believe everything you hear... and doubt half of what you do.

Seoke
04-21-08, 11:56 PM
Show us your work....

Well I'm assuming that he means 13 1/2 minutes which is the cutoff for going to boot, so it's quite simple.

Rate = Distance/Time

Distance = 1.5 miles
Time = 13.5 Minutes

R=1.5/13.5

R= .1111111111 repeating

Multiply R * 60 since theres 60 minutes in an hour

That makes it 6.66666666666 repeating

buick233
04-22-08, 12:53 AM
Yeah, except the original question was about 13 minutes, not 13 1/2 minutes.

I was just reading on yahoo and ive heard it everywhere else so is it really possible to walk a mile and a half in 13 minutes?

Chumley
04-22-08, 08:31 AM
It is not easy that is for sure, you would have to walk over 6 mph to do it and that makes a very fast walk..........Someone do the math and get the exact mph....Semper Fi!!!!!! Much easier to just run.

It is much easier to run! In boot camp, if we weren't marching, we sure were moving fast. I had the shin splits to prove it. The 20 mile forced march was completed in about 5 hours with full gear and rifles in the middle of Parris Island Summer heat...and that included a couple short stops to drink water/change socks. So that's 4 - 5 miles per hour, 15-12 minutes a mile, Marine Corps style.

I think 13 minutes for 1.5 miles with no gear and some sweaty go-fasters is doable...but certainly not the easy way.

Gary Hall
04-22-08, 08:45 AM
this is spam.... mainly 'cause I don't feel like reading a book and you didn't start on topic.... stop that.

second... if the average is 3-4 MPH walking... that means 15-20 min per mile... uh, this must be a Recruiter who never finished their 'Math For Marines' MCI...

kid don't believe everything you hear... and doubt half of what you do.

Sgt. Petzold: I've given careful study to your post and I have to disagree with each of your points.
1.) On spam: According to Bill Clinton, I've learned to ask "... what do you mean by ... SPAM, is, etc ..?" My unworthy belief is that 99.9% of everything in the world is SPAM. (This would be more of an extension or maybe inclusion than disagreement.)
2.) On book reading. I recommend it. We just disagree.
3.) On "you didn't start on topic" and "stop that." Are these observations, judgment calls or maybe Commands? If you are a Moderator, I'll take the recommendation under advisement. (The USMC I was in taught us all Christian behavior.)
4.) I fail to see any fault with the arithmetic:

4 (miles/hr)(hr/60 min) = 0.066 mile/minute;
then: 0.066 mile/min(15 minutes) =
1.0 miles (marched in 15 minutes.

Just for the record, I have 3 earned College degrees (none Honorary), plus other academic documentation: Petroleum Engineering and Computer Science. Kindest regards, Gary Hall

Petz
04-22-08, 03:37 PM
you're right about the math really... he posted that after I did... I'm a math rock... go figure. also I wasn't too far off... so I'm not lost completely.

spam is (stupid post annoying message)
if you are not on topic... it's spam, such as this entire post... because it does nothing for the thread.

I have no clue as to what you are talking about with reading books, I enjoy it... so you lost me there.

and I told you, you write that much text off topic it becomes spam most notable the AM part of spam. and I said stop that because it's annoying... you can also consider it an order from a senior Marine if it makes you feel better *Shrugs*

now, to comment on your brag... I don't care if you are smarter than General Conway... you aren't special.. you are a PFC according to your ava... means all that doesn't apply to where you are in the world now. So I could really care less about what you know from books as long as you can fire that weapon in the right direction and keep fellow Marines from getting their asses shot off, you understand me? don't you go braging about intelligence when bravery and integrity is what I'm looking for in a Marine.

Semper Fi young blood.

DGardner
04-22-08, 04:50 PM

YES

rktect3j
04-22-08, 05:07 PM
I call that running. I run on a tread mil and once I hit about 5mph I need to change from a walk to a recon shuffle. recon shuffle ain't walking nor is it really running. Once I hit 6 mph though I know I am running and that would get you a 15 minute 1.5 mile run time.

A 13 minute 1.5 mile run is real running. At 40 I can make it in under 12 minutes and I am sweating pretty good, although I don't stop at 1.5 miles but rather between 3.1 and 5 miles and look like I was swimming and not running.

Gary Hall
04-23-08, 12:12 PM
Sgt. Petzold: All noble words & politically correct. Kindest regards,
Gary Hall.