PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles on base

SeanWicks07
04-20-08, 08:02 PM
Do they put something on your military id when you have a motorcycle on base?

Big Jim
04-20-08, 08:34 PM
Do they put something on your military id when you have a motorcycle on base?

Not on your military ID card itself...I think...they didn't when I had mine in 91 & 92, but they do place identification stickers on the bike and its registered with the PMO that you are the owner and responsible for this vehicle. We had to go through a motorcycle safety course to...but nowadays I think its almost required along with the motorcycle license itself. The sticker on the vehicle is color coded as to show whether you are officer or enlisted.

crate78
04-21-08, 12:38 PM
Not to make light of the topic, but I recall once at Atsugi, two Marines were on one motorcyle and ran into a dump truck. Both Marines spent some time in the hospital.

The MAG-11 CO issued an order that barred riding two on a motorcycle.

I'll never forget the conniption the OD threw one night when we tried to get through the gate with three of us on one motorcycle.

After all, the order said "two".

crate

Petz
04-21-08, 07:22 PM
no they DO NOT put anything on your bike... however you need a motorcycle saftey course before you can register it... and after so many days and without registration you will be ordered off your bike whereever you are... and in pendleton between the 22 and 43 area... well that's a long walk... I know form experience.

anymore questions about this topic, you can PM... please do... I mean it.

Big Jim
04-21-08, 07:29 PM
no they DO NOT put anything on your bike... however you need a motorcycle saftey course before you can register it... and after so many days and without registration you will be ordered off your bike whereever you are... and in pendleton between the 22 and 43 area... well that's a long walk... I know form experience.

anymore questions about this topic, you can PM... please do... I mean it.

Things have changed then...at Lejuene they did place an entry sticker on EVERY vehicle...I had to work the north gate sometimes on SOG.

Petz
04-21-08, 07:33 PM
...oh, yeah.. that's when you register!!!!

the bikes have to have it visible on the "driver"/"guard" side of the bike... most people put it on a plate.

so if I mis-understood the question.....

you have to take a motorcycle saftey course BEFORE you are authorized to register your bike on base.

Big Jim
04-21-08, 07:45 PM
...oh, yeah.. that's when you register!!!!

the bikes have to have it visible on the "driver"/"guard" side of the bike... most people put it on a plate.

so if I mis-understood the question.....

you have to take a motorcycle saftey course BEFORE you are authorized to register your bike on base.

Yep, yep....

mcvet57103
04-24-08, 10:49 AM
It's been a long time since I was at Camp Lejeune, but I remember having to take a Riders safty course, and was issued a base license after completion, and enlisted base decals were put on the front, and rear fenders.

JoeSzynal
04-24-08, 11:09 AM
All the above still holds true. The sticker, the course and don't forget the cool reflective vest they make you wear on base; at least it's required here at 29 Palms.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-24-08, 11:23 AM
Current rules for all Marine Corps bases are different for any other branch. A rider must have completed the Motorcycle Safety course, and have a Department of Defense Vehicle Sticker with valid designator and expiration date. The same sticker that is on your car windshield.

Also, you should ALWAYS have your military ID with you, however you are not required to wear it in such a way that displays it.

Petz
04-25-08, 11:35 PM
here is an update to this topic... just came down from above. <br />
<br />
A. MOTORCYCLE OWNERSHIP IS A SIGNIFICANT RESPONSIBILITY. PRIOR TO <br />
PURCHASING A MOTORCYCLE, ALL MARINES WILL CONSULT WITH THEIR...

SlingerDun
04-25-08, 11:48 PM
where do you store your helmet and leathers???

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-26-08, 12:08 AM
where do you store your helmet and leathers???

I always just hang it up in my entry way closet...Leathers though, as in full racing suit leathers? should be stored in say a bedroom closet where the climate is controled and it can be wrapped up until wear. You do not want the leather to wear out on those badboys.

Petz
04-29-08, 10:11 PM
you should remember that you need a reflective vest at all times while ridding on base, and many seasoned vets on bikes just buy another, larger cammie top and keep the sleeves down and stich the vest on it and just use that "special" jacket for riding... you can also go high tech and sew in a liner for colder days.... seen it all, and you have rank and stuff with that.... neat stuff really.

russiankid
10-10-09, 03:11 AM
I have a question that is a little bit off topic. Its regarding motorcycle storage on bases. How do you own a motorcycle if you live on base and then get deployed or change a base. Would I be able to use some kind of military moving service to move the bike to the new base? And do they have secure garages to put the bike in long term storage or is it better to find a garage outside the base?

I gonna be an aviation mechanic, so I might get shipped all over the place. And I always wanted to have a bike. Any marines in the same situation?