PDA

View Full Version : Home is where their heart is

thedrifter
04-20-08, 09:29 AM
Home is where their heart is

By ED MOORHOUSE
Burlington County Times

PEMBERTON TOWNSHIP — Brian Lynch is used to going out of his way to help others. His neighbors are now returning the favor.

Lynch, a carpenter by trade, was hoping to build an addition onto his Columbus Avenue home when he returned from a tour of duty as a Navy reservist in Kuwait in November 2006.

However, a back injury he suffered there put the project on hold.

As a petty officer first class for a construction battalion in the U.S. Navy, Lynch said he was responsible for building infrastructure for base camps for the Marines.

He sustained a serious back injury while traveling to a job site in Kuwait last year.

“We were going to a job site off-road and we hit a ditch,” he said. “I was in the back of a Humvee, and the impact lifted me about a foot off of my seat and slammed me back down. I had about 40 to 50 pounds of equipment on too, and I felt something in my back.”

Lynch suffered a herniated disk in his back, which required surgery. He said his back was in good enough shape to begin his home construction project and he began to lay the foundation for the addition last spring.

However, his injury later required a second surgery that forced him out of the carpentry business for good.

“They (doctors) told me there's no way I could go back into construction. Not with all of my back problems,” Lynch said.

“I could do some small jobs, but they told me I won't be able to do it 40 hours a week.”

Medical costs started to pile up and, due to financial constraints, the home renovation project was put on the back burner.

“I thought it would never get done,” he said.

That's when his friends and neighbors stepped up to the plate.

“We actually jokingly said that it would be nice if we could finish the house for him,” said next-door neighbor Nikki Zimmer. “But when we talked to (Lynch's wife) Susan, she told us they had blown through their savings and we realized how bad it was for him. We wanted to do something.”

Zimmer and her husband, Chris Zimmer, have enlisted the help of friends and neighbors to pitch in and purchase the construction supplies necessary to build the 1,100-square-foot addition to the home.

Lynch said members of his trade union, United Brotherhood of Carpenters Local 1489 of Burlington City, will build the addition for him.

“We want to help him as much as we can,” said Dave Wright, a member of the carpenters union.

“He served time for our country and we've known him for a while, so we want to give back to him.”

Volunteers have already started working on Lynch's home.

“I appreciate everything that everyone is doing for me and my family,” Lynch said. “It doesn't surprise me. The people around here are always willing to help.”
E-mail: emoorhouse@phillyBurbs.com

April 20, 2008 8:13 AM

Ellie