PDA

View Full Version : Cadets learn lessons on honor courage commitment

thedrifter
04-25-03, 08:40 PM
Cadets learn lessons on honor courage commitment - Mini boot camp teaches lessons in core values to youth from local high schools
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003425161050
Story by Cpl. Anthony D. Pike

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(April 25, 2003) -- Three local Junior ROTC high schools spent the week of April 14 - 18 on the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, learning the ways of Marine Corps discipline and teamwork.

The units brought with them 52 cadets from Serra High School, Point Loma High School and Patrick Henry High School.

The cadets came for a variety of reasons: belonging, challenge and discipline.

For one cadet the challenge for her was bigger than most.

During the first day of training she injured her knee on the obstacle course, putting her on crutches for the rest of the week.

"It was hard having an injury that hindered me from doing a lot," said Celeste Alley, Patrick Henry.

"I don't take no for an answer, and I wanted to finish," she added.

It was that spirit and tenacity that got her noticed by her drill instructors, who gave her the title of the most inspirational cadet.

For other cadets the challenge was an added benefit, the main reason for coming however, was a sense of belonging.

"I joined because all my friends are in (Junior) ROTC," said Carlo Martinez, Patrick Henry.

Wanting to be a part of Junior ROTC with his friends pushed Martinez harder than he was able to push himself.

"The biggest challenge was the intensity," he said.

"Once I got with the program I knew no matter what I had to give my best," said Martinez.

With other cadets there for encouragement and a helping hand, a handful of Marines stepped up for the challenge of leading the cadets through the scaled down version of boot camp.

These Marines came forward looking for their own personal gains as well.

"The motivation from this one cadet last year made me want to (come out here as an instructor again)," said Sgt. Guillermo Rosas, inspector instructor duty, Pennsylvania.

"That and a chance to teach these kids a little bit of what we learn - honor, courage and commitment. Maybe they can take that back with them."

The Drifter

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003425165443/$file/ROTC_lr.jpg

After her third year at the mini boot camp Cadet Izacely Juarez understands how hard-work is a part of team work.
Photo by: Cpl. Anthony D. Pike