PDA

View Full Version : Son Hurt in 3rd Week

kajowe
04-19-08, 06:48 PM
My son started his boot camp training the beginning of April. Last Wednesday during some martial arts training, he got kicked in the temple and was knocked out. They tried to get him up walking but he kept falling down. He was taken to the hospital on base, I'm told they did all sorts of tests but everything was normal. However, he's had some memory loss, can't hear out of his right ear, his right eye is blurry and his right side there's weakness. They moved him to another hospital and are going to do some more tests. I finally talked to him today. His speech was slurred and he wants to come home. He still has some memory loss. I'm getting bits and pieces but nothing solid. How can this happen? I thought they wore helmets or pads during martial arts? I've heard his drill sargent thinks he's faking to try to get out (again I'm getting bits and pieces). He's been in the hospital since Wednesday (3 nights). His recruiter only knows that he got kicked in the head and had a concussion. When I talked to him, it didn't sound like him at all. Why is it so hard to get any information? I want him to get better and I understand he's under the best care. When he gets better I do want him to finish his training and encourage him today to do so. But I'm afraid he's scared and homesick. He was leading his platoon. I don't know if there's something I'm not being told. Any advise or suggestions?:cry:

NoRegrets
04-19-08, 07:02 PM
My son started his boot camp training the beginning of April. Last Wednesday during some martial arts training, he got kicked in the temple and was knocked out. They tried to get him up walking but he kept falling down. He was taken to the hospital on base, I'm told they did all sorts of tests but everything was normal. However, he's had some memory loss, can't hear out of his right ear, his right eye is blurry and his right side there's weakness. They moved him to another hospital and are going to do some more tests. I finally talked to him today. His speech was slurred and he wants to come home. He still has some memory loss. I'm getting bits and pieces but nothing solid. How can this happen? I thought they wore helmets or pads during martial arts? I've heard his drill sargent thinks he's faking to try to get out (again I'm getting bits and pieces). He's been in the hospital since Wednesday (3 nights). His recruiter only knows that he got kicked in the head and had a concussion. When I talked to him, it didn't sound like him at all. Why is it so hard to get any information? I want him to get better and I understand he's under the best care. When he gets better I do want him to finish his training and encourage him today to do so. But I'm afraid he's scared and homesick. He was leading his platoon. I don't know if there's something I'm not being told. Any advise or suggestions?:cry:

My Son who is a new Marine says no they don't wear helmets during martial arts..He also said the easy way to get out of boot camp is to finish it. He is theirs now I am afraid. It is normal for them to be scared and homesick. Just keep writing him positive letters. He can do this and will :flag:

Marie

Phantom Blooper
04-19-08, 07:19 PM
Advise the recruiter that you want an accurate medical report if he can't comply...then contact Red Cross for an up to date report. Training is realistic as possible.

There are sometimes in war and hand to hand that you will not wear protective clothing and gear.

Sorry to hear that your son got hurt.

They do have qualified medical personnel standing by for such incidents. I am not trying to be a soothsayer or downplaying the accident....but if he was to go to war again there would be times that even with proper equipment that one can get hurt.

The Marines are not football players but those people wear helmets and pads and still get hurt or worse.
Good luck and the young man is in my prayers!:evilgrin:

SGT7477
04-19-08, 10:11 PM
Ma'am in the Marine Corps they are called Drill Instructors keep the faith is all you can do for now, training is hard and our standards are set high.:flag: