PDA

View Full Version : Former Sea Bee joins Marine Corps team

thedrifter
04-19-08, 06:31 AM
Former Sea Bee joins Marine Corps team

4/18/2008 By Pfc. Jose Nava , Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego

MCRD San Diego — In 2000, Pfc. Jarrod R. Rayner, Platoon 2106, Company E, initially
wanted to join the Marine Corps but instead joined the Navy because that was what his family wanted.
At age 19, Rayner became a Seabee – a construction electrician with the Navy Mobile construction battalion. The Seabees are the Construction Battalions of the Navy with a history of building bases, paving thousands of miles of roadway and airstrips, and accomplishing other construction projects dating back to World War II. Their name derives from the sound of the acronym for “Construction Battalion”
(CB).
With the NMCB 40, Rayner deployed
four times, building structures and working closely with Marines.
This exposure to Marine Corps camaraderie awakened Rayner’s prior unattained goal of becoming a Marine.
After completing his enlistment, Rayner spent almost three years in the Navy reserves. During that time he was called back to active duty for a fifth deployment to Iraq where he helped build with Marines. As a Seabee, Rayner provided critical construction
skills in connection with the effort to rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq. Here, Rayner developed a better
understanding of the camaraderie between Marines, he said.
“I joined because I liked that way that the Marine Corps operated,” said Rayner.
In January 2008, armed with experience
and maturity, Rayner set out on a new journey into the Marine Corps with the tentative support of his family.
Although Marine Corps recruit training is similar in many ways to the Navy’s boot camp – in physical fitness, firearms, and lessons in its heritage and core values, teamwork and discipline,
Rayner found it to be tougher.
He said Marine recruit training was more difficult for him because it was longer than the 8-week Navy boot camp and physically more demanding. That was what he considered the hardest
part of training.
Overcoming hardships in boot camp can be challenging, but Rayner, 27, was able to help his fellow recruits with his military experience and the wisdom of age. Having prior military experience prepared him for what to expect from the Marine Corps, said Rayner.
Pvt. Jared L. Savoie, Rayners bunk-mate, said that whenever he was frustrated or angry during training, Rayner would talk him through it and give him advice on how to handle the situation. He said that Rayner was always willing to offer his guidance and helped him become successful his training.
Rayner said that what kept him motivated
during training were the other recruits in the platoon because they would have millions of questions about the military and different duty stations and he enjoyed telling his stories.
“His confidence level went up, being
a former petty officer Second class in the Navy,” said Staff Sgt. Peter S. McCollough, drill instructor, Platoon 2106, Co. E. “He had leadership ability, but the Marine Corps taught him how to lead for us.”
After receiving his eagle, globe, and anchor at the end of the Crucible, Rayner reflected on the fact that eight years ago he was just leaving for Navy boot camp in Great Lakes, Ill., ready to launch a new phase of his life.
Rayner was given the military occupational
specialty of aircrew. When he flew in helicopters around Iraq with Marines, he knew that he wanted to work in the aviation field.
Looking to his future in the Corps, Rayner said he wants to earn a college
degree and retire from the Marine Corps.
“I’m already going to have 12 years under my belt and I want to finish with 20,” said Kayner
Rayner’s mother has a new insight on her son being a Marine.
“I’m very proud,” said Catherine A. West, Rayner. “It’s kind of a family tradition because my father and brother
were Marines. It is where he belongs because of his outgoing personality.”
After graduation, Rayner will have 10 days leave and then attend the School of Infantry in Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., for Marine
Combat Training.

Ellie