PDA

View Full Version : USMC Approved Boots

jackson07
04-18-08, 05:39 PM
Any one have a prefered brand of USMC approved boots?

I have two pairs of Bates and am looking at buying a new of Danners. I need new boots and am just wondering if anyone recomends anything.

Wyoming
04-18-08, 05:56 PM
http://www.lucchese.com/

SlingerDun
04-18-08, 06:08 PM
Sales rep and tour guide at the Danner factory told me that Marines walk out wearing his boots and dumpster the Bates and Belleville's they rode in on. Obviously a company man but confident about his product.

Danner has a factory second store. These are made from left over material and not rejects that failed final inspection. Their about 40% off but you can't order online you gotta walk in.

Damn BigAl i coulda swore i seen John Travolta shod in deco Italian leather during Urban Cowboy circa 1980????

--->Dave

ggyoung
04-18-08, 06:27 PM
Corcoran makes very good boots.

testforecho2112
04-18-08, 07:37 PM
4 pairs of Danners...the best boots ever! I would very very highly recommend them! I'd sleep in them, but my girlfriend complains...

http://www.danner.com/product/id/102139.do

I have tried all the others, Whites, Bates, Corcorans...nothing was as comfortable as the Danners...

jackson07
04-18-08, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone.

egbutler1
04-18-08, 10:28 PM
I had a pair of oakleys in Iraq similar to these http://oakley.com/pd/5167 but since you probably can't wear these stateside or deployed unlike my unit (but really who looks at your boots?) Check the net i'd have to go with some danners, they are the best official boots.

jackson07
04-21-08, 08:48 PM
Just bought a pair of Danners for $188.

And get this.. I got my wife the same pair for $45. (She is also a Marine.) There were overstocked. A $200 pair of boots for $45. It is my lucky day.

outlaw3179
04-21-08, 09:49 PM
Im still partial to Altemas. Lightweight and durable. (kind of) Bought mine right before I went to Iraq and they were trashed when I got back. Although all we did was hump hump and hump.

Petz
04-21-08, 10:55 PM
uh, they have the EGA stamped on them????

testforecho2112
04-21-08, 11:23 PM
Yeah, they are Marine Corps approved. I kinda like 'em.

And Jackson, tell your wife she scored! Thats a great deal!

Petz
04-29-08, 10:04 PM
well.... damn.....

Zulu 36
04-30-08, 06:13 AM
I'll spend my money on Danner boots any day. The comfort and durability is unmatched by anything else I've owned. I own three kinds of Danner's now, and used to have a fourth. Which pair, after going through four sets of soles, finally kick the bucket due to Desert Storm. Deserts are tough on any boot and this pair was elderly by that time anyway.

ggyoung
04-30-08, 10:58 AM
Are all of boots made in the USA?

Zulu 36
04-30-08, 11:08 AM
Danner's are.

ggyoung
04-30-08, 01:23 PM
Corcoran are

SlingerDun
04-30-08, 04:13 PM
I wondered about that, the Danner factory is kind of small to be selling boots at retailers clear across the country and online...

Dave, thank you for your interest in Danner! We appreciate your concern and
hope that we can provide you with the appropriate information that you
are seeking.

We do manufacture some of our boots overseas in order to appeal to a
broader market base and offer high quality footwear at an affordable
price for our customers. We understand that you want the best boot for
your money and we're doing our best to make sure we develop the footwear
you need. Any factory we work with upholds to our no-tolerance
standards. We have had great success in this market and with the
continued support and appreciation from our customers, we hope to
continue to expand our product line.

We are also very proud to produce over half of our styles right here in
the USA. These items are clearly marked on our website and also in our
catalog with "Made in the USA." To view all Danner boots that are
manufactured in the USA, simply type "USA" in the search field at
http://www.danner.com (http://www.danner.com/).

All of our footwear, regardless of where it is manufactured, is
developed to meet our Company's high quality standards. To prove our
support to our customers, we offer the same warranty against leaks,
defects and workmanship regardless of the origin.
I hope that we have been helpful. We certainly appreciate your support
in Danner. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

ltmebecrewchief
04-30-08, 10:36 PM
I have two pairs of belleville's and i love them. Looked online today and apparently the only USMC approved ones are hot weather steel toes. But the bellevilles are great, and the can be resoled, just contact your local CIF and they should have info on it. If you dont want the steel toes i would look on ebay or cash sales for some of the non steel toe designs. Not sure if they are still made but im sure you can find a new pair for pretty cheap somewhere

Twitchell
05-01-08, 03:36 PM
Call me stupid but, are the danners steel toe? Just curious because I want to try some new boots for wildland fire. The requirements are that they are non steel toe, have a vibram sole, are 8-10 inches hi, and are leather. Other than that we can wear em.

Zulu 36
05-01-08, 03:45 PM
Call me stupid but, are the danners steel toe? Just curious because I want to try some new boots for wildland fire. The requirements are that they are non steel toe, have a vibram sole, are 8-10 inches hi, and are leather. Other than that we can wear em.
You can get some models of Danner's with steel toes, and a lot of models without. Go to their web site: www.danner.com (http://www.danner.com). They can cost a bit, but in my book, Danner's are worth every penny.

Their current index page has several models of what they call a "Rain Forest Work Boot." Take a peek.

Twitchell
05-01-08, 03:55 PM
Awsome, thanks alot Sgt.
Every year so far I have bought two pair of Hawthorn's for $180.00 a pair, per season, and I tear the s**t out of em. Times that by 4 years, and well, you do the math. Some people will buy 1 pair and it will last them 2 years, it just depends on your feet. Plus I don't like the cowboy style boots to hike in, I roll my damn ankles to much.
Anyway, thanks again.

SlingerDun
05-01-08, 04:05 PM
Hathorn same same Whites, i've owned Whites Packers and they never did feel so great for the money. You might want to check out Wesco boots Scapoose, Oregon. For your kind of work they are superior. I'd buy another pair if i ever needed extra sturdy boots again but i'm not a logger or smoke jumper.

--->Dave

Twitchell
05-01-08, 08:29 PM
Thanks a ton SlingerDun!:banana: Try to say that five times fast, hahahaha. Just kiddin.
I've got the same oppinion with the whites. Not to mention that all of these boots that you guys have suggested, are still LESS expensive than the whites at a wopping $400.00 a pop. Minus shiping, and the fact that since I've got small feet I need to special order at another $40.00. Amazing hu?

Anyway I did'nt mean to change the subject of the thread, sorry about that.
But I appreciate everyones advice. SEMPER FI!

Petz
12-15-08, 06:57 PM
try redwing shoes also... they have a few different kinds that will work for you.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/

mcvet57103
12-16-08, 07:52 AM
http://www.lucchese.com/Hey bigal, What you doing posting ads for Army boots on a Marine Corps site?:D

Petz
12-16-08, 12:30 PM
he works on commission. ya gotta make a livin' somehow.

mcvet57103
12-16-08, 01:07 PM
Those sure are some fancy sh-t kickers.

dodint
12-16-08, 01:16 PM
I just got issued Danners as part of my Iraq issue. Pays to have big feet. Everyone over size 12 got Danners, everyone else got Bates. :thumbup:

Wyoming
12-16-08, 01:43 PM
Those sure are some fancy sh-t kickers.

Damm sure are. Iffen you ever make it to Ft Worth, and go TO their showroom in cowtown, they'll trace your feet and give you a number.

All you gots to do then is call, give them the style, etc., and your number.

AND HAVE A BIG POCKET FULL OF $$$$$!

LtHopeful
09-10-09, 10:25 PM
I'm shipping out to Virginia for OCS October 1st and am looking for some good boots. A lot of people on various blogs and forums have been raving about Danners. I don't mind shelling out a little bit of extra money for better boots. But I don't know what kind of Danners, if any, I should get. Also, I've heard that it may be best to get a lighter pair of boots, such as Bates Lites, for PT and a more durable pair of boots for humping. I've read that ICB's are good for humps -- but I am not sure what brand or model to get. Also, I've heard that jungle boots are good for the Quigly because they have holes at the bottom that drain water. Anyway, I realize that I am a bit late in the game in terms of getting boots. But I could really use some specific advice. I don't mind spending extra money on good boots, and I don't mind bringing, say, two pairs of boots with me. But can anyone recommend a specific brand and model for me?

Lisa 23
09-10-09, 10:39 PM
WOW...another thread that hasn't been posted in in almost a year.
You really need to fill out your profile there so the Marines here know who they are talking to.
And, in my opinion, your question should be asked in the Ask A Marine forum since you're not a Marine yet, not in Open Squad Bay, which is for Marine Veterans.

Mac3043
09-10-09, 11:02 PM
I wore black boots issued to me and later pairs were bought at the PX. I didn't know I had a choice. Personally I wear Redwing steel toes. The best fitting and comfortable boots I have found for my job. I just wish they lasted more than a year before they wear out. I am terrible on the toes, at $250 a pair it gets expensive. I have a pair of Georgia's, they are fairly comfortable but the uppers are a bit too high and bothersome for me.

Petz
09-11-09, 02:29 AM
I'm shipping out to Virginia for OCS October 1st and am looking for some good boots. A lot of people on various blogs and forums have been raving about Danners. I don't mind shelling out a little bit of extra money for better boots. But I don't know what kind of Danners, if any, I should get. Also, I've heard that it may be best to get a lighter pair of boots, such as Bates Lites, for PT and a more durable pair of boots for humping. I've read that ICB's are good for humps -- but I am not sure what brand or model to get. Also, I've heard that jungle boots are good for the Quigly because they have holes at the bottom that drain water. Anyway, I realize that I am a bit late in the game in terms of getting boots. But I could really use some specific advice. I don't mind spending extra money on good boots, and I don't mind bringing, say, two pairs of boots with me. But can anyone recommend a specific brand and model for me?

everything you need will be issued you won't be able to have any of your own personal crap, don't waste your money.

marinecorpsvet
09-11-09, 07:10 AM
Jesus H Jumping Christ! How many boots are there out there. We had 1 pair of boots to wear. Black. Shined with black polish and a brush. You kept a 2nd pair for inspections that you spit shined. They were comfortable and great in any climb and place.

I guess nowadays, the Corps is more interested in being stylish than practical. (ie: the Marine Corps emblem on the boot!) And if you pay $204 bucks for a pair of boots, you make waaaaay too much money in the Corps!

sdk87to91
09-11-09, 02:51 PM
I love boots and was wearing boots long before boot camp.. I remember those two pairs we had to have but.... They sucked compared to what you could buy in the outside world.
I was issued a pair of boots during desert shield that resembled the "jungle boots " but they were brown with brown soles. I got out shortly after Desserrt Storm so I took those boots to the mountains of Colorado and was miserably dissapointed.
I carried on and on to my civilian friends about how our Marines should get the best boots out there not those from the lowest bidder. Shortly after that I was informed that Marines were wearing Danners which I really appreciated.
Since I got out of the Corps I have had about 8 pairs of the Red wings model 899 which have high tops but low heals. I really loved them, but they have been discontinued...
I just recenlty found nearly the same boot from Bailey's catalog called Red Dawg lite. They are more purplish red, but have the same low heal and high top. The great thing about them is that they run narrow which has solved my problem of the lace eyes growing to gether as the boots stretch. Red
wings are not my favorite anymore.
Twitchell- the red dawg lites are fire line approved but as I mentioned before I am a range con and only part of the militia, not an everyday wildland fire fighter. My boots are my shoes and I wear them about 360 days a year; and always when on the job in case they need me on a fire. I spotted a smoke yesterday and only had to drag out the nomex, since I always have the boots on.
They actually spit shine up real pretty too- with that purple "cordovan" kiwi flavor... My coworkers occaisional mistake my polished boots for "new" boots. I have been identififed in high level meetings as a Marine because of my boots.

Skosh59
09-11-09, 05:29 PM
Jesus H Jumping Christ! How many boots are there out there. We had 1 pair of boots to wear. Black. Shined with black polish and a brush. You kept a 2nd pair for inspections that you spit shined. They were comfortable and great in any climb and place.

I guess nowadays, the Corps is more interested in being stylish than practical. (ie: the Marine Corps emblem on the boot!) And if you pay $204 bucks for a pair of boots, you make waaaaay too much money in the Corps!

:thumbup::thumbup: