PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marines a natural fit for GBHS graduate Scott Brose

thedrifter
04-18-08, 06:24 AM
U.S. Marines a natural fit for GBHS graduate Scott Brose

Published: April 16, 2008

By Matthew Smith

It wasn't Scott Brose's life-long dream to become a Marine, but after talking to a Marine recruiter at the end of his junior year at GBHS – he decided the discipline and structure was the right fit for him.

Scott spent one weekend a month during his senior year going on training and familiarization exercises with other recruits. His mother Lori Ferguson remembers seeing the excitement grow in her son's eyes every time he returned from one of the weekends.

"He'd go paint-balling or hear stories from other Marines, and he just loved it," said Lori.

"He eats this stuff up with a spoon," added stepfather Mike Ferguson.

His mother also recalled how her son was always very athletic as a kid and teenager. Scott, who was a kicker at GBHS, stood out on the football field, helping the team reach the State Championships in 2005.

"Growing up, he was very driven, everything had to be perfect," said Lori.

"He always wanted to play sports – or be in the outdoors hunting and fishing."

Scott's father Kevin Brose also has many memories of his son's passion for sports.

One of his fondest memories is of when Scott was only 3-years-old and his brother Ryan Brose was playing six-and-under soccer.

"I coached the team, and Scott would always come with me to the games," said Kevin.

"I couldn't keep him off the field, so I signed him up. He was one the best players on the field."

Much hasn't changed in 17 years; Scott still refuses to stay on the sidelines. Graduating boot camp in the top three in artillery, he decided to become a Forward Scout Observer. Among his duties are protecting villages that are being rebuilt and calling in coordinates for fire support. His high scores in math and map reading made him an excellent candidate for the job. He was deployed to Iraq on March 13.

Of course Scott's dangerous job doesn't come without some reservation from both sets of parents.

"It's very stressful, you see all the things on TV about when they come back," said Lori

"I wait for those phone calls."

"I'm proud of him being over there, but as a parent you want to be able to protect your children – and I can't. I pray for him every night," said Kevin.

Risks aside, both families are happy that their son is doing what he loves and that he is doing a great job over there.

Both parents hear from Scott about once a week, or whenever he can call home. His twenty-two-year-old brother Ryan recently returned to town and is a motorcycle mechanic. His father Kevin is a mechanic at Precision Performance. His mother Lori works at Dan's Ace Hardware and his stepfather Mike drives a school bus for Central Curry School District. He also has another brother, 3-year-old Jackson Lee Brose.

If you'd like to send Scott a personal letter, pictures, community mementos that will remind him of home, or non-perishable snacks (pouch tuna and energy bars are popular items over there) – drop them off at Dan's Ace Hardware or Precision Performance. You can also reach Scott by e-mail: s_brose@hotmail.com.

Both families send out a package about once a week.

Ellie