PDA

View Full Version : PGA West salutes troops with golf

thedrifter
04-18-08, 05:19 AM
April 17, 2008

PGA West salutes troops with golf

Stacy Wiedmaier
La Quinta Sun

PGA West members played host to more than 100 Marines, sailors and Coast Guardsmen on Saturday as a thank you for their military service.

The military personnel arrived from four military bases, including Twentynine Palms, and spent the day playing golf and mingling with club members over breakfast and lunch.

The golf tournament - one of the three largest each year at PGA West - also provided an entire day off the base to relax. And many wasted no time getting started, said Dave Balducci, tournament director.

"I got here real early, but one group was here before 6 a.m.," he said chuckling. "I know Marines are used to getting up early, but they were extra ready to start their golf day. These kids are fabulous. Political feelings don't matter, these guys are out protecting our country."

Servicemen received a free round of golf beginning at 8 a.m., but were also offered the chance to stick around after lunch to play a second course.

Capt. Gary Liddell, who has been back for less than a month from his first tour in Iraq, said playing the Arnold Palmer and Tom Weiskopf private courses was a rare opportunity.

"This whole thing began as a sort of, 'Come down from the base and play a game with us.' But when we did that, member Carl Brooks and I started organizing this and it's getting larger," said Liddell, now stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Saturday was his third time in the tournament.

"The guys get real excited about this since we get to step foot on courses we never would otherwise."

Liddell laughed over lunch with teammates about struggling with the Weiskopf course's Par 5 holes. He said he couldn't stay in bounds or out of the water.

"So you mean the course played unfairly then?" joked Brooks, who said he stays in touch with Liddell throughout his travels in the service.

About 240 players participated in the day, Balducci said.

Ellie