PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss it?

egbutler1
04-18-08, 12:29 AM
I don't know about how a lot of you Marines feel but I miss the **** out of the Marine Corps. In a lot of ways thats why I came to this site, to be able to feel apart of it all again and connect with Marines again. Like some of you I could not wait to get that DD214 in my hand and get the hell out of Camp Lejeune and never have to drive down to the PX to buy beer (while i'm already completely smashed). So when my time came I took all of my stuff and packed it into my car and sat my boots in the passenger seat next to me. Before I left I slapped a bunch of moto bumper stickers on my Section Leaders truck and drove to the gate - where i stopped held up traffic and laced my boots togeather and threw them onto the telephone wire where they will hang till PMO takes them down, than I sped off. But since than sitting here all alone watching my brothers die it came to me, I miss the Marine Corps - Never would I have ever thought i'd miss it while i was active. But here I sit missing the **** out of it. So my question is basically this - do you miss the AD life, and do you wish you could return. If i was not 50% SC for PTSD I would be back in right now but that is no longer an option. So sound off Marines, sound off! Semper FI! KILL, KILL, KILL!!

Artemis
04-18-08, 10:45 AM
You better believe I miss it. There is nothing like the days spent woking my ass off to see that CH46E make mission later on. Nothing like the BSing with your brothers and sisters to make the day go by faster. Miss being senior and picking on the new guys in the shop. Busting each others chops and of course the fridge full of Mt Dew because on long nights food just wasn't that important. Last but not least I miss the great commraderie that we had in a tight unit. Oh forget it I could go on forever. I miss it everyday but I also remember why I got out everytime I look at my children.

Crusader20
04-18-08, 11:02 AM
I miss it for about the same reasons.

At first, i was happy about being out of the Corps. No one was on your case about this or that. Long hair and a beard.
But after about 1 year of the civilian life, i started to miss the commraderie of the corps. Missed the "field-ops" with my squad. Missed the BS sessions about leave and the women that they "hooked up" with.
I soon learned that i would have work friends and friends. But i would never ever again have buddies. You know, the kinda of guys that would kill or be killed for you. I will never have guys that i know will have my back in any situation.

That is what i truly miss about the Corps.

darkgreen0311
04-18-08, 11:35 AM
I was the same way couldn't wait to get out couldn't wait to be a PFC(PROUD F****NG CIVILIAN) I started missing the ways guys had your back and you had theirs. I missed it so much that i've found six of my friends i haven't spoken to in 22 years and were having a reunion this year. If i could go back and change time i would have stayed in. I miss working hard during the week and playing hard during the weekends.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT DO OR DIE!!!

outlaw3179
04-18-08, 11:50 AM
I miss it for about the same reasons.

At first, i was happy about being out of the Corps. No one was on your case about this or that. Long hair and a beard.
But after about 1 year of the civilian life, i started to miss the commraderie of the corps. Missed the "field-ops" with my squad. Missed the BS sessions about leave and the women that they "hooked up" with.
I soon learned that i would have work friends and friends. But i would never ever again have buddies. You know, the kinda of guys that would kill or be killed for you. I will never have guys that i know will have my back in any situation.

That is what i truly miss about the Corps.

man you hit that right on the head. You have friends and work friends but you dont have buddies. Thats the best way Ive heard someone describe it.
I couldnt wait to get the hell out of Horno. Drove away and told everyone we would stay in touch and wed be best friends for life and I've never heard or seen most of them again. I miss the hell out of it but then I tell myself even if I were to go back again , never would I have the same caliber of friends that I did then. So Im just glad that I was able to have friends even for that short period of time that I was able to become brothers with.
Luckily for me I still have a whole new set of Marine friends back home. All are former Marines right around the same age, we all still talk and act like were dumbass jarheads on libo, so I still have alot of what I miss. Semper Fi Marines.

Big Jim
04-18-08, 12:29 PM
My brothers...no where else on earth, will we ever see the kind of comraderie and dedication to each other but our beloved Corps. I still think it, live it and dream it without even trying!! Nobody else but another Marine could even begin to understand what we go through when we miss our brothers and the lifestyle and just being a part of something so damn perfect, you know? I got out after 12 years to be with my wife and kids and I still regret it. I know my kids don't but it was more than like leaving a family, it was leaving a part of me behind I know that I'll never get back. I think its still a part of me but you can't care about something so deeply without giving something of yourself to make it yours and thats what I feel I left behind. Its something that I helped make and shape for the future generations of Marines! My heart, my blood and sweat and even sometimes my tears. I tried talking about this stuff with the ol' lady or another good friend who just don't get it...only my brothers, those who were there....truly understand...thank you, my brothers...for being there when I needed you.

awbrown1462
04-18-08, 12:36 PM
I missed it so much I tried to go back in after being out over 5 yrs was almost in when we got a memo from HQ USMC saying because I would have been a S/Sgt by then if I had stayed in and woulld have to come back as a L/Cpl ( I was a Sgt) I could not get back in. Man what a bummer that was.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-18-08, 12:53 PM
I think we all miss it to some degree. There is nothing like waking up (too early) in the morning and putting on that uniform. Clearly, all of us that didn't retire from the Marine Corps saw greener pastures and went a different direction. But, nowhere in life will we have the bonds that we had in the Marines.

I guess there's a reason why the majority of my close friends are Marines. We can relate to one another, we have a common experience. Whether they are now driving a school bus or are working as a vascular surgeon, we all have that one thing in common.

rktect3j
04-18-08, 01:27 PM
There are days, yes, I miss it. But there are other days I can say I do not. All good things must come to an end and we take another path laid before us. I took what I could from that four years and use it everyday, so in essence, I am still in. As they say, "Once a Marine, Always a Marine." It's just in my heart and soul.

jrhd97
04-18-08, 01:47 PM
Absolutely miss it. Many days I wish I stayed in. I didn't ,so there is not much sense in dwelling on it. I continue to live my life with the same discipline, integrity, etc..... that exemplify the Corps. Hopefully my kids will pick up some of that.

yellowwing
04-18-08, 02:11 PM
When I was married I didn't miss it too much. Now that I'm pretty much single, yes I do miss The Corps.

devilcherrygoo
02-04-11, 08:42 PM
Hello Everyone,
I miss the H#$% out of the corps now. I too could not wait to get my DD214 and get the blank out of cherry point. But now, over 5 years later, I realize what it meant to be part of such a close knit group. We all shared at least one thing in common, which was being a Marine. Even if we talked different, came from different places, didn't like the same music, or even if we didn't like each other at times, we were still Marines, and that is something that will never die. To this day, if I see or meet another one of the few and proud, I try to make a point to thank that person for their service.

Tennessee Top
02-04-11, 11:52 PM
I don't regret for one minute being a "lifer". It cost me my marriage but I chalked that up as an occupational hazard.

There is no feeling in this world that could ever match leading a group of hard-charging Devil Dogs. For me, that is the part I miss the most.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-05-11, 12:30 AM
Heck yes I miss it. I can trust Marines, it is civilians I have a problem with.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-11, 01:10 AM
Every....davmn....day.

Luckily, my part time job is with the United States Marine Corps Historical Company...so I get to be around Marines and do cool stuff STILL.

It's my dream job and I love it.

But yeah...I miss 'the suvck' too.

Juicemang
02-05-11, 09:50 AM
It cost me my marriage but I chalked that up as an occupational hazard.

Haha, yut yut Top! :flag:

Tennessee Top
02-05-11, 10:19 AM
Don't know what yut yut means but it's all good (I guess?).

Juicemang
02-05-11, 10:34 AM
Don't know what yut yut means but it's all good (I guess?).

You could equate it to oorah, get some, etc.

C130RolnDwnStrp
02-24-12, 12:45 PM
Just turned 30 and have been out for a while now. I was foolish to get out, thinking I could ever surpass what we accomplished in the Corps was my downfall. I used to make fun of the old guy's that would wear Semper Fi covers when I was active duty. Now, I see why my old SDI would sing "don't let the green grass fool ya, don't let it change your mind." It was good to serve and now I am the one wearing the Semper Fi cover.

McT ontheRock71
02-24-12, 01:25 PM
After reading the responses to the lead post on this thread and remembering my tour of duty in the Corps, I understand now why there were so many "career privates" in the Marine Corps prior to WWII. The Esprit D'Corps that is embeded in the raw recruit as he or she completes "Boot Camp" cannot be extracted from the individual by civilian life, time, or any other factor. It may lay dormant for a while but, once it is awakened, it is as strong as ever.:iwo:
Semper Fidelis
Ken

SGT RED
02-24-12, 03:53 PM
Sgt Leprechaun said it the best "every davmn day." The younger Marines will feel the same way one day... I guarantee it!

http://blogs.reuters.com/afghanistan/files/2010/02/m15.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdtkaC5QG4EF0AeGP2TndM8xw9vfkX3 dmXAaslZy98jOphxVYF

Rocky C
02-24-12, 04:01 PM
Sgt Leprechaun said it the best "every davmn day." The younger Marines will feel the same way one day... I guarantee it!

http://blogs.reuters.com/afghanistan/files/2010/02/m15.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdtkaC5QG4EF0AeGP2TndM8xw9vfkX3 dmXAaslZy98jOphxVYF

:thumbup: You got that right !!!

kabar1
02-24-12, 04:04 PM
i have been and always will be a Marine period.yes i miss it always will,i go out in 1980 i was a Tractor Rat Crew Chief the friendships you make will last forever.ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE.SEMPER FI

Sin
02-27-12, 09:04 AM
I miss it like nothing else and would give anything to be back amongst my brothers.

thewookie
02-27-12, 09:54 AM
I just miss the Marines I served with. Most of them :p

:usmc:

Swampyankee
02-27-12, 09:59 AM
Miss some aspects (commraderie), don't miss some others (chicken ****, which mainly came as a result of who was in charge as CIC, Carter for me). I remember 2 fiscal years starting off with a...

FistFu68
02-27-12, 01:50 PM
:usmc: I do but I Don't...I don't but I Do S/F :beer: :iwo:

m14ed
02-27-12, 02:08 PM
Like stopping Cigaretts !!!!!!!
the longer you go, the less it hurts............................

sometimes

advanced
02-27-12, 03:07 PM
Do I miss the crotch, the suck, the green weenie, the Marine Corps? I guess I have to say I have mixed feelings there, I believe that the Marine Corps tried to have me killed me a number of times. Would I ever take anything for having been a Marine or having known my brothers, hell no.

I'd have to say I liked the Nam the best about being a Marine, I really felt like a Marine there with all the **** we did, just wish I hadn't lost so many brothers. I'm not sure if I'd do it again with what I know now. I've paid a lot of prices with this 100% PTSD over the years. But how do you take the savage out of the wild animal that we all became? Still working on figuring that one out. Just saying. S/F

Old Marine
02-27-12, 04:06 PM
Sounds like a Happy Camper to me.:D

Swampyankee
02-27-12, 07:52 PM
Oh come on Gunny, being a lifer you had/(have?) to overlook the nonsense due to your career choice. Not that you didn't (don't) see it, just you had to ignore it to maintain your sanity.

That is unless you were airwing, then you were more than likely sheltered from such nonsense and haven't a clue as to what went on in the ranks of the Corps you served to support. Did I say 0311? ;)
Ooops now I did it.
Oh, and on a personal note, I was a PFC for 18 months until the day I requested to see a lawyer. The problem, I was told by the Company CO, was that I was too quiet. I thought keeping my mouth shut and doing my job was key to success. Not so.

Old Marine
02-27-12, 08:16 PM
A PFC for 18 months, wow you were almost a Terminal PFC. My heart bleeds for you. I did 10 years as a Sgt. and only reason I got promoted was I became a Drill Instructor. Life in the Corps, I love it.

EGTSpec
02-27-12, 11:03 PM
H*ll yeah I miss it. My time in is why, to this day, I am a loner. After EASing I tried the friend thing, but realized they were not of the same caliber as my Marine brothers. They were friends as long as it was benificial for them to be. But when the sh*t got deep they bailed on me. So I have become sonewhat of a hermit. I rarely go out to social functions, and when I do I generally keep to myself, and am polite, watching the clock for when I can gracefully extracate myself from the fake friendly BS. The only true friends I ever had were my Marine brothers.

charm1110
02-28-12, 02:09 AM
Definitely miss it! all of it except the field days, shots, hurry up and wait, standing in line at the chow hall, field days, weapons cleaning for eight hrs., standing in line at the armory, cattle cars, standing in line at B.A.S for more shots after spending the morning field daying the hooch.....aside from that and a few other inconveniences I miss the simple honesty of Marine Corps life.

Semper Fi...:flag:

rxreedy
01-23-13, 01:29 AM
I miss it hell yes. We all *****ed when we were in. Don't mean **** now. I miss you my brothers.

ridingcrops
02-01-13, 07:07 PM
I miss it all the time. Younger Marines will be the same way. Now I go thru life dealing with mouthy sh*t birds that someone said coould be a manger and they can't find their butts with a flashlight and compass. Like the turd I work with now, went from a waiter to an internet manager at work and spends his days reading marketing magazines and telling us how to do things. At least in the Corps you knew that even the lowlest sh*tbird could do his job.

SGT7477
02-01-13, 09:28 PM
Miss it all the time, wished I would have stayed for 30 years, Semper Fidelis Forever.

elliscraig12
02-01-13, 10:46 PM
I miss it more and more everyday. At 49 though, according to the new standards, I'm too old for the Corps. That sucks.

MJV
02-08-13, 02:36 PM
Might as well make this my first post here, I miss the **** out of it. Been out for only six months after 5 years in and I'm already looking at going back in. Same as most everyone else on this thread I had plenty of days where I lamented the daily BS and minor annoyances of Marine Corps life, but now I sit here going through school and doing part time apartment management and all I can think of how much I miss living a life of purpose. I miss the brotherhood more than anything on this earth, the knowledge that no matter how ****ty things are, there is a brother right there with you hating it just as much as you, and on the converse side, when things are awesome they are right alongside, going, "I don't know how the f**k we just made it through that, but holy sh*t that was awesome." Semper Fi brothers.

Tennessee Top
02-08-13, 05:18 PM
Might as well make this my first post here, I miss the **** out of it. Been out for only six months after 5 years in and I'm already looking at going back in. Same as most everyone else on this thread I had plenty of days where I lamented the daily BS and minor annoyances of Marine Corps life, but now I sit here going through school and doing part time apartment management and all I can think of how much I miss living a life of purpose. I miss the brotherhood more than anything on this earth, the knowledge that no matter how ****ty things are, there is a brother right there with you hating it just as much as you, and on the converse side, when things are awesome they are right alongside, going, "I don't know how the f**k we just made it through that, but holy sh*t that was awesome." Semper Fi brothers.

From what I keep reading on here from retreads trying to get back in they're not taking any prior service Marines because of the drawdown. But, if that's what you decide to try and do good luck to you. Would not blame you for trying.

MJV
02-08-13, 05:48 PM
From what I keep reading on here from retreads trying to get back in they're not taking any prior service Marines because of the drawdown. But, if that's what you decide to try and do good luck to you. Would not blame you for trying.
Roger that Top, it seems to be the way of things, if I can't get in now I've still got a few years to keep trying. Fingers crossed that we get into it with some other country and they need to bump numbers up again.

Tennessee Top
02-08-13, 09:28 PM
Roger that Top, it seems to be the way of things, if I can't get in now I've still got a few years to keep trying. Fingers crossed that we get into it with some other country and they need to bump numbers up again.

Looking more-and-more like Iran since they don't want to talk about their nuclear program. Israel says this summer is the latest the world can wait to do something about it. Seems to me though, we would need to beef up our numbers before getting into a shooting war with them. Because of the budget, the Navy is pulling one of its carriers out of the straight (leaving only one there).

Of course, you can't rule out the nut job in North Korea. He may want to exploit the situation with Iran (and he already has nukes!).

I would say you won't have to keep your fingers crossed for very long.

MJV
02-08-13, 09:47 PM
Looking more-and-more like Iran since they don't want to talk about their nuclear program. Israel says this summer is the latest the world can wait to do something about it. Seems to me though, we would need to beef up our numbers before getting into a shooting war with them. Because of the budget, the Navy is pulling one of its carriers out of the straight (leaving only one there).

Of course, you can't rule out the nut job in North Korea. He may want to exploit the situation with Iran (and he already has nukes!).

I would say you won't have to keep your fingers crossed for very long.

Amen to that Top, I pay closer attention to the news now than I ever did when I was in lol. But it looks like the world is headed up sh*t creek in a hurry and one thing you can count on is wherever there's sh*t, there will be Marines.

Tookie22
02-09-13, 06:34 AM
You know I havent been on this site in a very long time. Obviously after bootcamp I was all gung ho and wanted to be a lifer. Upon hitting the fleet my whole dream came crashing down. I realized that the Marine Corps I thought existed was in fact a fantasy I was looking forward to living. I hated the next 2.5yrs. I am actually in the process of getting out. Now there will be many things I miss such as the easy money, and benefits. My friends have either PCSd or EASd by now and only a few of us remain. Also in this the <4 yrs Ive been in I really did not feel this camaraderie everyone speaks of. Out in country everyone is really close because its only us but upon returning its completely different and everyone does their own thing to get away from other Marines. I won't miss the hurry up and wait, going to pointless formations 1 hour early, garrison BS that does not matter in combat, long lines for the simplest things, CIF (I hope it burns down) there are many things that I do hate, BUT the truth is while I hate the current state of the Corps and retarded leadership Ive have to deal with... I will miss being an Active Duty Marine. A person that wore that uniform everyday and regardless of the BS and b*tchin always got the job done quickly and efficiently. Ill miss leading junior Marines and actually doing my job as a radio operator, not this bs of "your boots are muddy" (ya its raining). I guess I have mixed emotions about getting out and Ill probably miss it. Its been a fun ride but am ready to open another chapter in my book. I wouldnt want to lose a marriage over a job. Im sorry that isht happened to you Top.

Tennessee Top
02-09-13, 10:57 AM
Understand what you're saying Tookie22. Being a lifer is not for everyone obviously. I actually got out myself after my first enlistment. This was in 1976 under the Carter administration when there were fuel embargos and long lines at gas stations. He granted amnesty to all the Vietnam war draft dodgers and brought the boat people over from Vietnam (I couldn't find a job but our government made sure they did). Stayed out for about a year and went to college on my GI Bill. My old recruiter called me and offered me my Sgt chevrons back if I reenlisted (should've come back in as a Cpl after being out so long) so took him up on it (lost all my time in grade however).

You won't be able to understand this because you haven't lived it but things change quite a bit once you hit the SNCO ranks. Does not get any easier, you gain more responsibilities and your leadership responsibilities grow too obviously. Best part though is you get to lead more troops and experience more challenges like a special duty assignment (DI, Recruiter, or MSG as a detachment commander).

Looking forward to getting out and startng a new chapter is fine; like I said, I did it. But, the grass is not always greener on the other side. The 1st CivDiv is not all it's cracked up to be either. You may not be happy with your current leadership but at least you have some; out here, it's nonexistant. It's common on this site to see former Marines who regret their decision to get out and are trying to get back in (with no success). Just don't leave believing your life as a civilian will be a bed of roses because it won't work that way. I always like to say "be careful what you ask for because you may just get it"!

Losing my marriage to a tour on OKI was tough at the time. Saw it happen many times but never thought it would happen to me. But, it is an occupational hazard. Half the marriages in our country fail and even more do in the military services for obvious reasons (numerous long separations being #1). All my friends told me my ex never really loved me and was only looking for a green card (met her on embassy duty in Nicaragua) but I was "in love" and didn't want to hear it. Well, turned out to be true so she hooked up with Jody while I was on the rock. Luckily for me, we never had any kids. Learned my lesson though and never walked down the aisle again. Actually, I owe her a lot because being a single SNCO made things a lot easier (and more fun the second time I went to OKI if you know what I mean!).

Good luck to you and enjoy your life as a civilian.

doc h fmf
02-09-13, 11:16 AM
I MISS BEING WITH MY BROTHERSIN THE MARINE CORPS I LEARNED ALOT FROM THEM. THE MOST IMPORTANT BESIDES SURVIVAL IS COMMONSENSE. THAT IS ONE THING I NOTICED IN THE CIVILIAN WORLD PEOPLE WERE LACKING ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVENT BEEN IN THE MILITARY YOU COULD TELL.

Semper Fi And Godbless you all my brothers and sisters

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

advanced
02-09-13, 12:22 PM
Do I miss the Marine Corps, that's a very difficult question. My experience was nothing like what I thought it would be, of course that's most likely very normal for everyone. I enlisted during wartime (Vietnam) and like many young men during that time we enlisted to go fight our war. The truth is that none of us knew what it was going to be like going into a war.

From the very 1st night that I arrived at Parris Island the brutality began and nothing changed during my entire time there. We were trained to be born again hard, to kill with no hesitation. ITR and then infantry training was much better, though it was physically challenging but without the constant screaming and mental and physical punishments. We were being trained to win and to stay alive. We were eager to learn. After this training I became an MP for a time before receiving orders to Fleet Marine Force Pacific (Vietnam). Being an MP for those several months was probably my most enjoyable time in the MC.

I arrived in Vietnam almost a year to the day after I had started at PI. Stayed a few days at Freedom Hill before being notified that I had orders to join the 1/5 up in Phu Bai, wherever that was. We made the trip by convoy the next morning. A couple of weeks later Tet started. In a little over a month from arriving in Vietnam I was no longer a fng but a battled hardened Marine who had done his job extremely well and had survived over 50% casualties at Hue City.

After Hue I was sent out to the Arizona with the 3/5 where I stayed for the rest of my time in country. Endless walks in the park, constantly losing my brothers, endless night ambushes. Places like the A shau, Happy Valley, Go Noi Island, Dodge City, the Hook, and numerous other endless names and operations. All of my brothers and me were always miserable, starving and most of them are but memories today, perhaps to no one but myself.

When I found out that I was going to live and my tour was up they sent me back to the world to Pendleton. I spent a year there as a "stateside" Marine before getting out.

What I miss most from the Marine Corps are my brothers, men I trusted my life to, men who did all that was ever asked of them and more. I am here on LN today because some of these men are here. S/F Marines.

PS Now I'll go back to the War Room

Tookie22
02-09-13, 12:26 PM
Thanks Top. I hope I can continue to be a reservist and keep the foot in the door and see if they have another buildup. Like I stated I loved it and had a fun ride. Hopefully college goes well for me and I make something out of myself as a civilian

MJV
02-16-13, 12:46 PM
Thanks Top. I hope I can continue to be a reservist and keep the foot in the door and see if they have another buildup. Like I stated I loved it and had a fun ride. Hopefully college goes well for me and I make something out of myself as a civilian
I have the same hopes Corporal. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how hard it is to LAT move to a different MOS if get back in as a reservist? I know needs of the Marine Corps take priority, but I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience with a situation like this. Thanks.

Tookie22
02-17-13, 10:31 PM
I have no experience so my 2 cents are of no value. But my guess is that it might be hard since you'd have to go to your new MOS school (I figure) and that involves activation for those months. Good luck though.
My advice hit up a the command at your nearest reservist station or a PSR