PDA

View Full Version : Meritorious Cpl. Board...

ltmebecrewchief
04-17-08, 11:44 PM
I was told today i would be going on a meritorious Corporal board in a few weeks. What should i do to prepare? I know that Marine Corps knowledge and history etc will be a large part buti need advice from other Marines who have experience. How can i best prepare and what should i expect? Thanks in advance and Semper Fi

thewookie
04-18-08, 07:17 AM
1. Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge, study it forward and backward.
2. A big part of the Cpl boards that I went to looked at bearing and discipline just as closely as knowledge. If you don't know an answer to a question or if you mess up a answer, don't lose your bearing. They told us to answer,,,"I don't know the answer to that question at this time (insert rank here,) but I will find out and get back to you." Don't roll your eyes, don't huff and puff, don't look down, keep your eyes locked on to the questioner with a straight face and deal with it, they are going to stump you.
3. Make sure your uniform is locked on, it goes without saying but the devil is in the details.

Don't be discouraged if you don't make it the first time, I've mentioned in here before, my first one I lost. It seemed as if they asked every question that I didn't study (there's a lot to pick from) The second time I won at the company level but lost at battalion. The third time was the charm. Maybe you'll get it the first time but more then likely you'll be going against a few Marines who have done one or two of them before so be realistic.

Good luck

Whatever you do,,,, when you win don't go getting shiat faced in the barracks the weekend after you win acting like a bad arse Cpl before they pin it on, or you could be like me and lose it after you win it. (But I still got it that same month TIG/TIS, only a day sooner and with a page 11, lol!)

Crusader20
04-18-08, 09:28 AM
I agree. Knowledge Knowledge Knowledge. Since your in the air wing, i would look up or remember some of the weapons systems, patrols manuvers, hand signals, etc. They will look at everything.
Have your uniform ready for inspection. Look at the person that asked the question and go with your first instinct on the answer. You would be surprised how many Marines missed the questions, because they second guessed themselves.

Good luck.

SGT VAS
04-18-08, 09:52 AM
They may have you do some drill also, so be prepared for that devil.

Artemis
04-18-08, 10:36 AM
Don't forget current news, they may ask you whats going on in the world to see if you pay attention to what is happening now not just what happened in the past.

temarti
04-18-08, 11:44 AM
Knowlege, knowlege and knowledge, current events and remember the back azimuth of 180 is not a trick question...

Chumley
04-18-08, 11:59 AM
Good luck LCpl!!! If you trip and nearly fall down during the board, always remember to keep your bearing....it's very possible the others did even worse.

I won 9 of 11 boards I participated in...the last one was Meritorious Corporal. Promotion Date: 920602

SFi
C

ltmebecrewchief
04-19-08, 02:31 AM
Thanks alot. I'm just really nervous about it. **** i've only been a lance now for a little under 2 months so the possibility of being an NCO is overwhelming. Ive got good pro cons expert rifle range and high first class pft so i just have to work on all the things everyone mentioned. Thanks again

AAV Crewchief
04-20-08, 11:48 AM
1) Current events (both worldwide and current ops in the Corps)
2) Everything in the EST book
3) Your job 100% proficiency is a must
4) Customs and courtesies with the board members
5) Military bearing
*** Don't try to bull**** your way through answers.
*** Whoever put you up for the board will be on the board. They will let you know what they will focus on so know that 100%. If you have a few weeks notice that means you are in the running and expected to do well. Be wary of getting the "last minute notice"...that means you are the cannon fodder for the people they actually want to promote. I have been on both ends of the spectrum having gotten meritorious CPL in Dec 1983 and then up for boards for Sgt (last minute notice each time) twice. I got Sgt anyways 3 months before I separated.

Petz
04-20-08, 11:55 AM
look you need to open the door with intesity and slam it shut (this is intesity) if they tell you not to slam the door on your way out, say aye,aye (rank) and do the same thing going out... because if you do the same thing in and out, you weren't slamming you were consistant.

don't f*ck up your drill movements... you will most likely be asked, however if you do... don't correct yourself until they tell you "as you were" or give you corrective commands. this is all bearing.

good luck and let us know how it went.

ltmebecrewchief
04-21-08, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. I also recently received a certificate of commendation(was up for a NAM) and a safety award. And a LOA a while back. Do any of these need to be routed to show i got them? Like up to S-1 or should they show up on my MOL account. I know they will help but i also want to make sure that the board knows i received those awards. Any thoughts?

Chumley
04-23-08, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. I also recently received a certificate of commendation(was up for a NAM) and a safety award. And a LOA a while back. Do any of these need to be routed to show i got them? Like up to S-1 or should they show up on my MOL account. I know they will help but i also want to make sure that the board knows i received those awards. Any thoughts?

Rule of thumb is to check everything out for yourself. The system works really well, but a mistake can take time to correct once it's noticed. You should personally ensure your records are updated. Not only should you make sure the atta boys are updated, but anything negative should be reviewed as well.

SFi
C

Petz
04-23-08, 07:05 PM
Rule of thumb is to check everything out for yourself. The system works really well, but a mistake can take time to correct once it's noticed. You should personally ensure your records are updated. Not only should you make sure the atta boys are updated, but anything negative should be reviewed as well.

SFi
C

hahaha "the system works well..." you're funny.

SlingerDun
04-23-08, 07:23 PM
and remember the back azimuth of 180 is not a trick question...Wow 180 is exactly 1/2 circle, so do you add or subtract to get back home???http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif

ZSKI
04-23-08, 07:32 PM
well 180 is directly south so if you wanted to go home you would go at 0 or direct north

SlingerDun
04-23-08, 07:40 PM
not 360???http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

ltmebecrewchief
04-23-08, 08:26 PM
0 and 360 are the same. Oh and found it the board is on May 21st, uniform is service charlies. There are 6 openings for the entire MAG and i know of one other marine from my unit up on the board but other than that i have no idea how many people will be up.

SlingerDun
04-24-08, 02:00 AM
Yeah they are the same and one may notice that the military lensatic compass identifies the devices fixed reference point as either 0' or 360' depending on the style and maker. Most serious navigators use the three digit azimuth system to avoid confusion. It seems trivial but to a tired hypothermic mind 0' or 000' can mean nothing, drawing a blank leading to more confusion and despair, and thats hard to snap out of in a pinch when your condition is rapidly deteriorating. On the other hand 360' immediately suggests a direct bearing. Good Luck.

--->Dave

Chumley
04-24-08, 10:36 AM
hahaha "the system works well..." you're funny.

Sgt, I'm sure we'd agree that most of the time records updates do happen correctly and successfully on the first attempt. But when things go awry, they tend to go very awry. SNAFUs are common enough, so be responsible and diligent and make sure your SRB is accurate is my advice.

SFi
C

temarti
04-24-08, 12:04 PM
0 and 360 are the same

My answer was 360 or 0 in a question tone, I could have swore they were trying to throw a trick question because it was too obvious. Just a part of thinking into the question a little too much.

ltmebecrewchief
04-29-08, 06:50 PM
Well, i was told today that i wouldnt be on this board. My unit is sending about half of the squadron to Las Vegas for some exercises for 10 days. I was on the list before i was told about the board. the board is during the time i'd be gone and theres apparently no way to get me back for it. So i wont be going on this board coming up after all. I was told id be on the next board though. Screwed over again..

Petz
04-29-08, 09:22 PM
no! just more time to practice and learn Marine Corps Knowledge... so if you don't pass this board you are a horrible example!!!! haha, no really.

well just be possitive and demand you are on the next board, and be sure to get those uniforms together and square your self away... practive drill, ask Cpls and Sgts about commands and drill during chow! just be motivated and get what you want... don't let some stupid 10 day ex break your spirit!! you're a damn Marine for god's sake!!!

ltmebecrewchief
05-08-08, 07:54 PM
Well apparently i am going to be able to get back for that board now. It took alot of work through the lance corporal underground to find out wtf was going on and i talked to my ncoic who figured it out. It went all the way up to my sgt major. So myself and the other Marine who are going to vegas and are up on the board will get back for it. now im running around with my head cut off trying to square sh*t away