PDA

View Full Version : Weight Question

jsk02a
04-16-08, 07:02 PM
Just a quick weight question...

I'm 24 years old, 66.5 inches, and weigh 190 lbs. I swore in about two weeks ago and was 196.2 when I swore in with a max weight of 197 -- so barley made it. I got a ship date of April 21st and my recruiter told me I had to be down to 179 by April 21st so I could ship (20 lbs in 2 weeks..heh).

Now, I'm at 190 and it's a few days before I'm supposed to ship and I've hit a ceiling and can't drop below 190 no matter how I eat or how hard I PT.

I've looked all over the freaking internet and can't figure out where he got that number. It seems to me I have to be at 197 or below and then maintain a weight of 170 while in the Corps...does this sound right? Is he just trying to motivate me to work out before bootcamp? Now I'm just afraid that I'm overweight and won't be able to ship.

-Poolee Knight

Donut Brigade
04-16-08, 07:10 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/l/blintweightmale.htm

Yeah, looks like you need to be 197 or less. Even if you would be overweight you'd still be able to ship, only to be put on a diet tray until you'd reach desired weight. Correct me if I'm wrong...

jsk02a
04-16-08, 08:04 PM
Hrm, thanks for the link. Paragraph #4 on that link, however, says that before shipping Marine Recruits must adhere to "Retention Weight Standards" (which mine is 170)...I can however been up to 10% over that if I can pass the IST and get a waiver...is this what I am going to need to do? Try and drop to 187 lbs and get a waiver?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-16-08, 09:30 PM
The waiver won't be difficult to get at all. But, you will be a diet recruit, so your choice of foods will be more limited. Of course, if you fall within body fat standards it is a different ball game, so getting checked the Marine Corps way may be worth your time.

One way or the other, you've hit a plateau. To get through it you're going to have to amp things up a little. Read the thread about losing 80 pounds to see if it gives you any ideas.

Big Jim
04-16-08, 09:53 PM

I'm 24 years old, 66.5 inches, and weigh 190 lbs. I swore in about two weeks ago and was 196.2 when I swore in with a max weight of 197 -- so barley made it. I got a ship date of April 21st and my recruiter told me I had to be down to 179 by April 21st so I could ship (20 lbs in 2 weeks..heh).

Now, I'm at 190 and it's a few days before I'm supposed to ship and I've hit a ceiling and can't drop below 190 no matter how I eat or how hard I PT.

I've looked all over the freaking internet and can't figure out where he got that number. It seems to me I have to be at 197 or below and then maintain a weight of 170 while in the Corps...does this sound right? Is he just trying to motivate me to work out before bootcamp? Now I'm just afraid that I'm overweight and won't be able to ship.

-Poolee Knight

I wouldn't worry about it too much...as long as you come under your max weight...you'll be okay. You're going to lose weight...trust me....you're going to lose fat weight, not muscle weight while in boot camp!

jsk02a
04-16-08, 10:08 PM
Thank you Sirs for the input!

I will check out that thread you mentioned and I will just work my ass off until the 21st and hope for the best. I don't care about being a "diet" recruit as long as it doesn't put me in some special platoon that delays graduation.

immaproshooter
04-16-08, 11:23 PM
lol say hello to the Pork Chop Platoon.......but seriously as long as you are under your max weight they will ship you to boot.....don't worry bout it

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-17-08, 10:34 AM
If you can pass the IST you don't have to worry about being PCP bound... unless you somehow manage to not lose weight while you're there.

phantasm
04-17-08, 10:54 AM
Since were on the discussion of IST and PFT, are all recruits graded on the 18-21 yr old scale or are they graded according to their correct age bracket?

Bacon0249
04-17-08, 10:55 AM

-Poolee Knight
You've hit a cieling because as you get closer and closer to you ideal body weight your body begins to struggle. I was 210, but strong. I am now 167. Once you hit that ceiling its all about the little things such as hydration. with only 4 days before you leave there isn't much you can do, but if you wanna lose an extra 2 or 3 pounds drink a gallon of water a day and a glass of hot green tea first thing in the morning. you are carrying around water weight that your body stores because it is not properly hydrated. THe gallon of water will aloow your body to release that water weight as it becomes hydrated on a regular basis. The green tea will help increase the speed at which you digest your food. If you had a month before you left I could get you down to 179. Good luck.

sscjoe
04-17-08, 11:43 AM
I guess things are different. I entered PI in 1975 at 6'0' 235lbs (college beer pounds) well over the standard at the time.(max wt 195). Never went to fat body or special diet. Left PI 165lbs. Go figure

Donut Brigade
04-17-08, 02:42 PM
I guess things are different. I entered PI in 1975 at 6'0' 235lbs (college beer pounds) well over the standard at the time.(max wt 195). Never went to fat body or special diet. Left PI 165lbs. Go figure
That's pretty radical. How long was boot in 1975? You must've lost 6-7 lbs. per week...wow.

jsk02a
04-17-08, 03:37 PM
Thank you all for the responses! I should be good to go, talked with my recruiter today and he seemed to think everything would be fine.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-17-08, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure where you all are getting your height/weight information, but here is the correct information.

66' Max Weight- 170
67' Max Weight- 176

Maybe the recruiters have different standards to get poolees under, but those are the Marine Corps standards. If you weigh more than that, you have to tape, and you have to be under 18% body fat. Good luck.

immaproshooter
04-17-08, 04:48 PM
they are going by the standards the recruiters have a lil book with diff weights./..certain weight you have to be under to enlist.....another one in order to ship which is a lil less then the first and then the final weight which is in order to graduate boot....

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-17-08, 04:50 PM
Very well, well at least now they know what they will have to eventually be under.

immaproshooter
04-17-08, 05:06 PM
ya i personally say forget the otehr numbers your goal should be get well under your max weight for graduating boot becasue that is the weight you will neeed to keep yourelf under at all times

sscjoe
04-18-08, 08:34 AM
Olexandr, Boot was 12 weeks back in '75. Spent extra time on the squadbat pull-up bar. Beer weight comes off fast- all water

Nvmdfth
04-18-08, 09:18 AM
Along the same lines as the first post, I'm below my ship weight but I would like to lose at least 15 pounds. But when I run or workout I don't sweat. When everyone else is drenched in sweat ive got a little on my back. Don't you have to sweat to lose weight?

sscjoe
04-18-08, 10:03 AM
Scott, try the Devil Docs forum. Maybe one of the Docs can answer that question. Good Luck in Boot, enjoy your summer

immaproshooter
04-18-08, 10:28 AM
lol im sure the DI's will get you to sweat if you find yourself not sweating jsut go upto one and be like hey Sgt i dont htink you are working us enough i not even breaking a sweat...dont say sir make sure you use rank