PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance rate into Marine Corps

Eric Hood
04-16-08, 04:42 PM
Hey my fellow Leathernecks!
Does anyone know the rate of acceptance into the Marine Corps? How many people enter a recruiting station and don't make the standards? Is it one in ten of twenty?
Semper fi,
Eric

ZSKI
04-17-08, 01:01 AM
When i was in bootcamp durring the moment of truth they told the ones left that you should be proud to make it this far only 10% of our nation qualifies to have a chance at the title.

sgtgrunt0311
04-17-08, 02:43 AM
We started with 66 and graduated 38 how many is that just a little over 1/2. That was 1985. Things have changed so I have no clue what it is today. I hope the Corps has not dropped it's standard to much.

jetdoc
04-17-08, 07:08 AM
We started with 66 and graduated 38 how many is that just a little over 1/2. That was 1985. Things have changed so I have no clue what it is today. I hope the Corps has not dropped it's standard to much.

IN 78 we started with about 78 and graduated about 50.

davblay
04-17-08, 07:52 AM
Hey my fellow Leathernecks!
Does anyone know the rate of acceptance into the Marine Corps? How many people enter a recruiting station and don't make the standards? Is it one in ten of twenty?
Semper fi,
Eric
If I understand your question correctly you want to know how may enlist that enter the recruiting office, is that about it? During my two years as a recruiter, and it was in the mid 80s, My mission (quota), was usually 3 to 6 per month. Some months there would be 12 prospects walk in my office and say "where do I sign", and all was good to go. However, more months than those ,by far, the work was more interesting lets say. During the month I had to pretest 20 people to get three to pass, of those I needed another 20 to pass the ASVAB, of those I needed 10 to take the physical to get 6 to pass without waivers! Most months I contacted well over 100 people to close 6 enlistments a month. There is no clear cut percentage in the recruiting business, but it will average about 3%. So when you see a recruiter, just remember that his job is the most important job in the Corps, as he has to enlist them so the DIs can train them!

Recruiting is the hardest selling job you will ever have. You are not selling a product, you are selling a way of life for 8 years! The Marine Recruiters have to compete with the bonuses and such that the other services offer. The prospects that come into the Marine Corps Recruiting office do so because they want to join the Corps, and for no other reason! Our standards are still the highest of all services and we still have guys waiting to get in line to start the process of enlistment.

God bless our Poolees, they are willing to give it all to be one of us! To carry the torch to the next generation of Marines.

That's my 2 cents,

Dave

Eric Hood
04-17-08, 08:26 AM
Davblay--Yes--I worded my question wrong. So only about 3% of those that walk through the door? This answers my question. I once tried to guestimate the percentage of Americans who are Marines. I think, it is roughly 1 to 1500. Thanks.
Semper Fi,
Eric

Quinbo
05-15-08, 06:55 PM
I'm curious if the Army and the Marine Corps both have the same turnover as far as prospects walking in then walking back out without a contract. The number crunching would be an interesting read.

Big Jim
05-15-08, 07:03 PM
In 84...we started with 72 recruits and graduated with 41....we were all saying who's gonna be next and take bets on which one of the sh!tbirds would drop next!! LOL!! One of our squad leaders was ALWAYS right and he one alot of money those 3 months!! He collected after graduation, too!

jetdawgg
05-16-08, 09:29 AM
In my PISC unit, we had a 55% grad rate. The Marine Corps is tough, and I would not have it any other way:usmc:

darkgreen0311
05-16-08, 09:51 AM
We started with about 65 and graduated with 45 highly motivated, highly dedicated little green amphibious monsters,sir!!!

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

DarrinC
05-16-08, 11:08 AM
I graduated Feb 08. We started with 72 and graduated 52.

Zulu 36
05-16-08, 12:36 PM
In 1971 we started with 75, graduated 65, of which only about 45 were
originals.

Dwyer
05-16-08, 01:38 PM
Is it the physical or the mental part that gets to the recruits the most?

jrhd97
05-16-08, 01:47 PM
Both. Looking at the guys we dropped, mental had more to do. A couople dropped from physicaly not being able to hold up. Health issues. The other just decided they didn't want to train, so they whent away.

AL49BGN
05-16-08, 02:26 PM
Back In 86 My Platoon Started Out With 70 And Graduated About 55.i Think It Probably Have About The Same Graduation Rate.we Only Had A Couple Of Pick Ups.

lbarroso
05-16-08, 02:42 PM
Back in 92 my platoon started out with just over 80 and at one time we were down to about 32-34. We picked up a few from the PCP platoon and graduated about 40. I wonder if having 3 out of the 4 drill instructors being grunts had anything to do with it.

Eric Hood
05-16-08, 05:56 PM
Jetdoc-You lost that many? What was the cause for most of the drops?
Eric

Eric Hood
05-16-08, 05:57 PM
Davblay--Of that 3%, how many completed Boot Camp? Any ideas?
Thanks again,
Eric

davblay
05-16-08, 09:12 PM
Davblay--Of that 3%, how many completed Boot Camp? Any ideas?
Thanks again,
Eric

I could be wrong on these figures, but I think it was about 12 to 16% drop out rate for Males and 6 to 8% for the Females. Like I said I could be wrong on those figures, it's been a long time. I may even have those numbers backwards!

That's the best I can do from memory, brother!

Dave

Whitey
05-17-08, 11:16 AM
i graduated dec 21, 2007. started with 110 graduated with something like 78 and we were the platoon that got all the pickups*shrugs*. i thought the corps was letting more people in but thinking about what i just said it seems like its not lowering its standards by much

Eric Hood
05-24-08, 10:25 AM
Davblay,
Thanks!!
Semper Fi,
Eric:usmc:

jetdoc
05-24-08, 12:29 PM
Jetdoc-You lost that many? What was the cause for most of the drops?
Eric

Me or Jetdawgg? His was like 55%, we went from around 78 to about 50 or so. I'm not sure how many were just recycled....some guys you just didn't see one day it seemed like. I remember there were a set of twins, or brothers real close in age, they were big dudes but not mentally strong, and they just broke down and started crying, both of them....gone.

Jim Oliver
05-24-08, 05:55 PM
The corps has changed a lot since I was in.

I recently read in the paper that the Marines, and the Army, are accepting convicted felons.

I hope that it isn't true. I remember when the judge gave a kid a choice- jail or the military. That's different than taking people convicted of armed robbery and such.

It kind of ticks me off. On 9/11 I marched sraight to the Marine corps recruiter and tried to go back in.

Because of my age, the recruiter laughhed me out of the office. Said I could be a 1 I-- that means when the enemy reaches 8th & I they'll call me.