PDA

View Full Version : MCCS best kept secret receives accolades

thedrifter
04-16-08, 07:52 AM
MCCS best kept secret receives accolades

4/15/2008 By Lance Cpl. Meghan J. McNabb , 2nd Marine Logistics Group

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. —You see them everywhere, Marines wearing “green on green.” What stands out among the sea of green are the vibrant colors of unit or function T-shirts. What you don’t see everywhere are the men and women who labor to print the T-shirts at the Marine Corps Community Services Printing and Engraving Shop here.

To show his appreciation for their continuous support, Brig. Gen. James A. Kessler, commanding general of the 2nd Marine Logistics Group, presented the shop with a flag flown over Camp Taqaddum, Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom 06-08 and the 2nd MLG Commanding General’s coin, April 7.

“I wanted to give my very sincere thanks to the Marine Corps Community Services for their wonderful support.” Kessler said. “Their level of support was such a surprise and I know there were a lot of Marines, sailors and soldiers who were very appreciative.”

The MCCS workers took special pride in serving the Marines and sailors who were deployed, providing thousands of unit and function T-shirts for Moral, Welfare and Recreation ‘fun runs’ in Iraq.

“We made 5,500 shirts and 96 plaques over the past year,” said Ralph A. Lewter, dual manager of MCCS Printing and Engraving and The Frame shop.

Shirts were ordered for nearly 10 five - kilometer and 10 kilometer charity and ‘fun runs,’ including the Operation Iraqi Freedom 06-08 Run and Marine Buddy Challenge. Lt. Cmdr. Paul Durand, group safety and environmental officer and MWR officer, said the participation of runners varied in size.

“The runs varied in numbers from 250 to several thousand,” he explained. “The largest event was the Run for the Warrior charity run. We raised over $26,000, and had over 2,300 runners [participate].”

Kessler said the runs gave the Marines something to look forward to, and helped the time pass more quickly.

“It’s remarkable how big a deal a T-shirt can be,” Kessler said. “Marines will do a lot for a T-shirt. It provides a little more of a boost to participate in something different, and helps to build teamwork.”

“It [also] provides a touch of home and is a reminder to those deployed of the tremendous support network back home and a lot of people wishing [them] well,” Kessler explained.

Director of MCCS Camp Lejeune, Jay Sollis says the workers do whatever it takes to get the job done because they know that they’re making a difference to Marines and sailors.

“They stay late, they come in early, if a machine is broken, they make shirts by hand,” Sollis said. “They know they’re having an impact and that’s what motivates them.”

Sollis expressed his pride as the director of MCCS and the great job the workers do to support Marines and sailors at home and abroad.

“I feel like a little league father watching my kid hit a home run,” he said. “They do it all the time; they knock themselves out trying to make a difference.’

Lewter said that the shop’s number one goal is to serve Marines and sailors and they are more than happy to give back to the hardworking Americans who serve their country.

“I want to do something for the people who are doing something for me.” Lewter noted. “That’s what Marine Corps Community Services is all about, serving the Marine Corps.”

Ellie