PDA

View Full Version : Typical day at Parris Island

xxstephen07
04-16-08, 03:29 AM
I was reading this and thought it would be a great way to explain what a typical day in Parris Island is like. At least in the first phase.....

http://kyrilsblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/typical-day-at-parris-island.html

Phantom Blooper
04-16-08, 06:34 AM
You think so?:evilgrin:

phantasm
04-16-08, 07:11 AM
You think so?:evilgrin:

Standing by... this could get interesting. lol. :banana:

Quinbo
04-16-08, 07:31 AM
For some reason I thought boot camp platoons have 4 squads.

Phantom Blooper
04-16-08, 07:53 AM
There is a post on this site either in the Poolee Forum or Ask A Marine which was made here in 2008 about the life and typical day of a grunt.

That post and the person that originally wrote his day...not the poolee who posted...reaked of Bovine Excrement and this blog post also smells of the same!:evilgrin:

xxstephen07
04-16-08, 12:20 PM
Sir, to me it was interesting and I just wanted to share it with the other poolees.

Phantom Blooper
04-16-08, 12:40 PM
I understand what you are saying.....but don't believe all the personal experiences that are put on blogs, myspace and some websites to be Marine Corps gospel.

The life of a Marine is subject to change at a moments notice. Before there were blogs there were....

"Believe me this is a no shiatter story."

Some things may happen everyday....but the training schedule is set up to be different each and every day to keep life interesting.:evilgrin:

jetdoc
04-16-08, 06:39 PM
It may not be gospel but its a person experiences. You guys are lucky you have stuff like this, plus you have a lot more movies, or the, "ears open, eyeball click" and the like.

I went in without any real expectations except for sea stories that I had heard from mostly former Vietnam Marines.

Looking back on it maybe not knowing what to expect perhaps was better?

thewookie
04-16-08, 07:01 PM
What's typical?

Phantom Blooper
04-16-08, 07:15 PM
I still smell BS! Again...not all...but most!:evilgrin:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-16-08, 09:35 PM
There were a few things in that post that make me wonder. The three squads rather than four is one of them. Another is that the scribe and house mouse were the same person. Even in a platoon of fewer than 30 we had different people doing every job.

Quinbo
04-17-08, 09:44 AM
It may be factual but I've never even heard of a guide or squad leader going all the way through boot without being fired at least once. Matter of fact our platoon rock carried the guidon a couple times and the squad leaders had to march tailend charlie. There were a couple of occasions where we drank an entire canteen of water but it wasn't a 4 times daily routine.

I started to write a freaking book and deleted it. All I can say is poolees don't take that blog as a normal day because it is more fiction than fact.

thewookie
04-17-08, 11:25 AM
It may be factual but I've never even heard of a guide or squad leader going all the way through boot without being fired at least once. Matter of fact our platoon rock carried the guidon a couple times and the squad leaders had to march tailend charlie. There were a couple of occasions where we drank an entire canteen of water but it wasn't a 4 times daily routine.

I started to write a freaking book and deleted it. All I can say is poolees don't take that blog as a normal day because it is more fiction than fact.

That caught my eye, in particular along with the other mistakes mentioned. He could have went but didn't graduate. I looked at the BIO and didn't see any other indication that he was a Marine. I skimmed it and didn't spend too much time looking, but he could just be some typical jack-off who didn't make it all the way, but loves to tell stories, and give advice about his "time in."

Matt Brzycki
04-17-08, 01:04 PM
I, too, was puzzled by 3 squad leaders. Never heard of that before. Other things that, to me, didn't add up:

1. the SDI asking for "volunteers" for guide and squad leaders

2. the same guide and squad leaders making it through boot camp without being replaced at least once

3. he wrote that the recruits repeated the DIs directive to get outside for chow with "aye, sir" instead of "aye, aye, sir"

4. showering by the numbers. That might be something done very early in training but it's certainly not the norm

5. 0430 reveille. It wasn't that early unless we were at the rifle range or mess and maint

But the thing that puzzled me most was his response to "anonymous" who questioned the 3 squad leader part of the story. The guy ("Coach Kyril") went ballistic. Said "anonymous" didn't have the balls to post his name and told him to **** his "whiny puke mouth." Given the circumstances, I can't imagine attacking someone like that. The poster was just making a point about the number of squad leaders and sure sounded informed enough to be a former Marine or at least prior military.

This Coach Kyril guy also said, "I'm the one who's been there and done that - not you. You'll find that out as I continue my posts in the near future here, whoever the hell you are."

What the F is that about? Kyril also said that the reason for 3 squads was that they "lost about 1/4 of our platoon before we licked [sic] up replacements." For one thing, you don't drop 1/4 of the platoon overnight and then figure you need to reduce the squads from 4 to 3. The drops and pick-ups happen on a regular basis throughout the course of training. Plus, having 3 squads changes the way that COD is conducted. Dramatically. Not only that, but what about the other platoons in the series? Would one platoon go through training with 3 squads while the other platoons stay with 4?

Finally, this may be a stretch on my part but 2 other details raised my eyebrow:

1. His platoon number was 3069. 69? Of course, this number is possible but given everything else about this, it made me wonder

2. graduation date of July 4. Again, this is possible but made me wonder.

Oh yeah, one more thing: His bio says that he was an all-american tennis player in college more than 20 years ago. And his graduation date from boot camp is 1991. If all this is true, it means he would've gone to college first, then joined the Marine Corps. How many all-american tennis players join the Marines? You're that good of a tennis player, you turn pro. Or teach. You don't decide to enlist. And he had a college education but went through PI? All of this is possible but something smells funny.

If I hadda guess one way or the other, I'd say the guy is just a story teller who never served as a Marine.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Sam331
04-18-08, 06:31 PM
I, too, was puzzled by 3 squad leaders. Never heard of that before. Other things that, to me, didn't add up:

1. the SDI asking for "volunteers" for guide and squad leaders

2. the same guide and squad leaders making it through boot camp without being replaced at least once

3. he wrote that the recruits repeated the DIs directive to get outside for chow with "aye, sir" instead of "aye, aye, sir"

4. showering by the numbers. That might be something done very early in training but it's certainly not the norm

5. 0430 reveille. It wasn't that early unless we were at the rifle range or mess and maint

But the thing that puzzled me most was his response to "anonymous" who questioned the 3 squad leader part of the story. The guy ("Coach Kyril") went ballistic. Said "anonymous" didn't have the balls to post his name and told him to **** his "whiny puke mouth." Given the circumstances, I can't imagine attacking someone like that. The poster was just making a point about the number of squad leaders and sure sounded informed enough to be a former Marine or at least prior military.

This Coach Kyril guy also said, "I'm the one who's been there and done that - not you. You'll find that out as I continue my posts in the near future here, whoever the hell you are."

What the F is that about? Kyril also said that the reason for 3 squads was that they "lost about 1/4 of our platoon before we licked [sic] up replacements." For one thing, you don't drop 1/4 of the platoon overnight and then figure you need to reduce the squads from 4 to 3. The drops and pick-ups happen on a regular basis throughout the course of training. Plus, having 3 squads changes the way that COD is conducted. Dramatically. Not only that, but what about the other platoons in the series? Would one platoon go through training with 3 squads while the other platoons stay with 4?

Finally, this may be a stretch on my part but 2 other details raised my eyebrow:

1. His platoon number was 3069. 69? Of course, this number is possible but given everything else about this, it made me wonder

2. graduation date of July 4. Again, this is possible but made me wonder.

Oh yeah, one more thing: His bio says that he was an all-american tennis player in college more than 20 years ago. And his graduation date from boot camp is 1991. If all this is true, it means he would've gone to college first, then joined the Marine Corps. How many all-american tennis players join the Marines? You're that good of a tennis player, you turn pro. Or teach. You don't decide to enlist. And he had a college education but went through PI? All of this is possible but something smells funny.

If I hadda guess one way or the other, I'd say the guy is just a story teller who never served as a Marine.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Hey Sgt. , while I was there although I didn't finish while I was there they no longer (atleast with my platoon) were told to say aye aye sir. Going to chow would be like, DI: "Guide , squad leaders hatch recruits post" Platoon: "Guide squad leaders hatch recruits post aye sir!" DI: "Ready...Move!" Then the the 1st and 2nd squad seperate as do the 3rd and 4th so that there is a highway . The platoon counts down from 10 to 1 then says CRUSH! and the platoon goes back to shoulder to shoulder. The last recruits ( dont remember exact number usually last 4 I believe) would grab the hatch while the squad leaders and guide took their position in the chow hall. And about the volunteering , I don't think my SDI asked for volunteers at first, he choose at random for the first Guide and squad leaders, but as the weeks went by and he would fire the squad leaders he would ask who had the balls to give orders. And when it came to firing the recruits he or the DI would fire them or he would have them stand infront of the platoon and ask by a show of hands which squad leader was good or bad and why and whether they should hold their position. Majority would rule on the situation. DI could fire the squad leaders but could not fire the guide, when ever our guide gave the strap with the Plt. number to the DI , the SDI would get ****ed and said I gave you that no one can take it from you except for me. The rest of what you said though makes the blog post a little bit iffy. There were defintely never 3 squads. That would mess up drill movements and as you said the chain of command. Alot of what was posted in the blog post did sound somewhat of a typical day atleast some of what I went through, but could never match it as perfect as he did. We never knew the time or how long we were doing something for. We just prayed it would end soon. And like you said maybe once or twice they would make you shower by the numbers but we never had to do that. We ate box chow by the numbers once which sucked big time. "Open up the bag of chips....pull out 1 chip...place the chip in your mouth...now chew...now swallow...now take another chip " lol oh yeah it sucked big time. Just wanted to share my post with you Sgt. I too wonder why they no longer make recruitrs say Aye aye Sir! Since we are a within the Navy...maybe someone on this site knows though .

Sam331
04-19-08, 01:29 AM
Noticed in my post I said "We are within the Navy" I'm no Marine so forgive me for that, meant the Marine Corps is within the Navy.

immaproshooter
04-19-08, 02:11 AM
i will say this i haev not read the blog mentioned yet im gettin ready to right after i say this much i know e always have 4 squads...but...and soudns ****ed up i know i always thought it was ****ed up as well....the Hotel company at PI that picked up right after us every one of their plt's only had 3 squads i remember standing fire watch up in one of the other pltoons squadbays for some bull**** i think during team week while they were getting platoon photos and doing dental and flight arangements and all and i saw them martching aroudn we were up on 3rd deck and this was the first id really paid attention enouh at the other company and noticced they only had 3 squad it was really ****ed up....i agree with other comments on it being messed up for drill movements and all but they managed it some how..not sure nor do i care to know...

immaproshooter
04-19-08, 02:38 AM
Anonymous said...

I'm anxiously awaiting you to post what your MOS was and what units you were with in the Marines.
April 18, 2008 1:22 AM
Coach Kyril said...

Sure, dillweed -

Honor Graduate, Platoon 3069, MCRD PI, SC
2673 Korean Linguist
8111 Small Boat Coxswain
8654 Parachute and SCUBA Qualified Reconnaissance Marine

1st Radio Bn, Radio Recon Platoon 01/93-06/97
31st MEU, 07/93-04/94
31st MEU, 10/94-07/95
11th MEU, 03/96-04/97

During and between deployments attended over a dozen Special Operations schools to include Basic Airborne, SERE School, Coxswain School, Scout Swimmer School, SCUBA, Jump Master, Reconnaissance & Surveillance and way too many others to list.

Now go screw yourself since you don't have the balls to tell me who you are.
---------------------------------------------------

lol...almost seems as if he were trying to pad a resume......but now that ive read it it does seem like some things were accurate but others pretty shady i believe that he probably didn't make it past first phase other wise hed have elaborated and expanded to include the other phases as well....also it doesn't sound like it would of been like anything for what'd he say...'91?...kinda doubtful if he would have said alot more recently it'd be a lot more believable because he made it sound the way it is now a day with mother ****ing America gettin all involved with politics and all..but i know it wasnt always so easy on recruits going through boot as any just about any other Marine could testify...

egbutler1
04-19-08, 03:03 AM
I smell BS, but like some have said everyones Marine Corps experience is different but I have never heard of 3 squads in boot camp, COD would be really messed up, hell everything would be changed just about. From what I know, when you pick up your series and such after that initial few days you will have 4 squads they work it out that way, granted we started at 104 recruits in my PLT we dropped plenty but always picked up almost the same amount if not more from MRP/PRP or whatever, we ended up graduating with 94 still 4 squads. I haven't heard of them asking for a guide or squad leaders, i think when i went threw it my DIs picked the **** bags on purpose so we would get killed more often. But than as we went on leaders stood out and old squad leaders and the guide where moved to tail end charlie, heads held low. I don't know but i smell the BS but thats just me.

Seoke
04-19-08, 08:57 AM
Lol

"My name is Robert J. Quinn. I graduated boot camp on 7 June 1985 platoon 1037. Not only am I calling you out but also challenge you to provide documentation of any sort training.

Here is a link for mine http://www.geocities.com/nhbludog/bulkyker1/

See you at rice lake poser."

Podi
04-19-08, 01:09 PM
My Name is Kyril G. Popoff, former Sergeant of Marines.

Apparently "Bulkyker" has "called me out" to prove who I am based on this blog post on my blog:

He was whining about it in my comments sections (about - get this - that I said there were only 3 squads in my boot camp platoon, and not 4; there were only actually 3, and I've got photgraphic proof of it) and now this dork has called me out.

Go to the comments, and read 'em all.

All I want him to do is tell me what he's gonna do in the way of an apology for calling me out - then I'll put so much proof up on that blog that it will be overkill.

Go here, read the blogpost, and read the comments:

Then come back here and message Bulkyker to tell me what he's gonna do in the way of an apology.

If he responds - Even if he just says "I'll say I was wrong.", I'll post so much proof on my blog that it will take you all a day to read it - I'll even put video up there!

So who's taking all the risk now? If I don't do it, you guys can thrash me forever on this forum or any other one you can find.

Hell, I'll even give you my address so you can come tell me what a

Deal?

Sgt Kyril G. Popoff

Podi
04-19-08, 01:11 PM
Kyril G. Popoff

2224 21 1/16 St

Rice Lake, WI

Wyoming
04-19-08, 01:30 PM
Yo Podi, iffen you make it back - Please take a moment to update your status. Click Here (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/advanced_register.php?do=changestatus)

Oh yeah, Seoke, you might want to stay out of the way.

FistFu68
04-19-08, 02:15 PM
:evilgrin: GET YOU'RE HEAD OUTTA YOU'RE AZZ-GONNA NEED THE VIEW WHERE YOU ARE GOING TOO !!!:scared: :iwo:

Seoke
04-19-08, 02:29 PM
Yo Podi, iffen you make it back - Please take a moment to update your status. Click Here (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/advanced_register.php?do=changestatus)

Oh yeah, Seoke, you might want to stay out of the way.

Stay out of the way of what CPL?

Wyoming
04-19-08, 03:53 PM
Stay out of the way of what CPL?

Son, hear the whistling sound?

Duck!!

Quinbo
04-19-08, 04:43 PM
I have no reason to defend or prove my service. I was in infantry during the era of the contract corporal. Contract Corporals ate up all the quotas for Corporal and drove the cutting score to some...

FistFu68
04-19-08, 05:30 PM
:evilgrin: YEA THEY HAD 3-SQUADS,AND THEY WERE AZZ-HOLE TOO BELLY BUTTON;WAITING FOR THEIR SECTION 8 DISCHARGE.SO THEY COULD GET BACK TO MAMA.AS FAR AS YOU'RE QUESTIONING SGT.QUINN,YOU IN YOU'RE BEST...

Wyoming
04-19-08, 05:47 PM
I was waiting for Jack to get off of the ****ter and jump into this with both feet.

Podi
04-19-08, 10:28 PM
Everybody who's reading this:

I am Kyril G. Popof, former Sgt of Marines.

I've already had two posts deleted so I'm gonna be nice.

I am the one that "Bulkyker" has called a 'poser'.

Well, the proof is posted and Bulkyker has some apologizing to do.

That's the strongest language I'll use in this forum.

To everyone here, just go here to view the comment thread:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4975462348129511162&postID=3476391766489220950

Then, go here and scroll down for the proof:

http://kyrilsblog.blogspot.com

Read what "Bulkyker" said he would do in the form of an apology, then get on him to do it!!!

Semper Fi,

Kyril G. Popoff

Podi
04-19-08, 10:44 PM
...in the previous posts, because I put a crapload of stuff up there.

You can take a peek at it too, FISTFU68.

- Podi

thewookie
04-19-08, 11:16 PM
Man, what a clown. I'll tell you what Mr. Kyril the reason you have Marines, real Marines coming down on you hard is because you posted all this junk like you know something and half of it is wrong. I'll call your bluff also, punk, and smash the life out of your tennis balls. We do know attention to detail joker. I think you're a phony wanna bee punk. I think you are a CLOWN and I'll gladly shove your tennis racket up your ass. Sgt. Quinn has more time wiping his ass then you have in the Corps you phony punk.

thewookie
04-19-08, 11:23 PM
...in the previous posts, because I put a crapload of stuff up there.

You can take a peek at it too, FISTFU68.

- Podi

Post it tough guy, post your effen shiat, don't tell me how bad you were, show me. Show me your dd-214, show me you freikin phony disrespectful punk. There's defiantly a reason why you teach tennis, because you are a phony punk who talks shiat. I'll wipe my azz with your face you little punk.

Quinbo
04-20-08, 02:24 AM
I bow to your superiority. Enjoy your blog. By the way the last scuba course conducted in Pearl Harbor was in 1991. MEU work ups do not require you to be retrained in courses you have already attended. Most work ups take an entire year then at least a 6 month deployment after. Therefore you would have to have been in for at least 10 years to do all that you say you have done. Fill out your profile poser.

Quinbo
04-20-08, 04:35 AM
Seriously.... you spent 4 hours creating false documents but don't have 5 minutes to produce a profile on this site??

CHOPPER7199
04-20-08, 07:31 AM
How Come This Podi, Is Still Posting Without A Profile? Thought They Got Deleted. Just An Old Grunt Wondering Again.

BR34
04-20-08, 08:55 AM
I don't know this guy from a hole in the ground so I won't comment on the "is a"/"ain't a" of this blog, but I will say I have seen 3 squad platoons while at bootcamp.

They were 3 squads because they started off small as hell. Got to watch them practicing for initial drill while we were waiting in the stands to fall in for final drill practice. It looked pretty weird with just 3 squads but the Drill Instructors made it work.
I don't know if they picked up more recruits later on in the cycle to form their 4th platoon because shortly after I was outta there!!!

Podi
04-20-08, 09:09 AM
Now I know why the term 'brainswashed' exists.

Forged documents, huh?

Well, I guess I'll have to put the photos up next.

You guys crack me up.

Yes, I was actually at - and successfully completed - dive school in Pearl Harbor. SCUBA Class 96030 that graduated in February of 1996.

BTW also, my 'dive buddy' at that school was Jorge Tablada from 4th Force Recon.

Also, you guys can click on the documents on my blog to enlarge them and make sure there is nothing 'forged' about them, only that I blacked out my SSN on them.

I'll put up my DD-214 next; BTW, any of you who want can do a request to the government to prove me wrong.

It's called the "Freedom of Information Act" (FOIA).

Let me know how your efforts are going.

Podi
04-20-08, 09:19 AM
To everyone else reading this, start with this post on my blog and work your way up:

http://kyrilsblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/dont-ever-call-me-out.html

You all tell me this is fake.

Podi
04-20-08, 09:23 AM
BTW, I was going to put up a profile, but the only reason I'm posting wthout a profile now is just because it ****es you off.

Just because I'm not 'conforming' to your little 'way' of doing things, Bulkyker it ****es you off.

Good.

Quinbo
04-20-08, 10:02 AM
I had actually earned a quota to dive school and was prepared to go. I was told it would be the last class conducted in Pearl Harbor. Then this strange thing happened. Iraq invaded Kuwait then the next thing you know ole jeds a millionaire and I'm brushing sand off an MRE cracker in a foreign land.

I prefer that this sparring will end and Heartilly apologize. It started because your account of boot camp was far different from what I recall of my experience.

Quinbo
04-20-08, 10:51 AM
Nur offiziell denke ich noch, dass Sie voll von sich sind