PDA

View Full Version : Hitting a problem with my pushups?

Reagan
04-15-08, 09:44 PM
For the past several weeks ever since I decided I want to enlist, at the very least 4 times a day I've been going downstairs to do alternating sets of crunches and pushups, only stopping when I'm physically incapable of doing anymore. I'm noticing my crunches are improving constantly (I'm no Abdominal Snowman yet, but I am able to get at least 60 in 2 minutes, when I was barely able to do 30 a few weeks ago and have been working a sit-down job for years), yet for some reason I'm having trouble getting out more than 20 pushups out in a single set, yet I've been doing them even more than I do crunches which are improving at a faster rate. I can do multiple sets if I get a few seconds or a minute to rest in between them, yet I seem stuck around the 20 pushup range, where my muscles just can't push anymore until I give them a few seconds to rest.

Normally for my pushup form I keep my back totally straight and rigid, fingers spread on the floor, then I go down until my chin touches the floor, then push back up while exhaling. I also stretch beforehand too. I'm 23, fairly slim - 6'2, 179 lbs or so. Kind of a Charlton Heston build with a decent chest and back, but always had thin arms, if that helps identify anything.

Is it normal for your pushup limit to take longer to progress than, say, crunches? Or could I be doing something wrong form-wise? Hopefully I'm just being impatient about getting stronger, but if I'm doing something wrong I want to fix it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-15-08, 09:47 PM
Take a day off once in a while. Your body needs time to heal, that's when you're going to get stronger.

crazymjb
04-15-08, 09:50 PM
Well you should be taking rests, ie 48 hours between workouts, when doing the same muscle group. For example, I do 200 pushups every other day. Going to raise that number as soon as I get the number of sets down. Your muscles need time to recover. (edit: submitted before Echo Four Bravo's update)

After you give yourself a break with the pushups for a bit I would recommend "stew smith's" pushup program. It helped me get my sets down, and more than anything helped with wide grip pullups.

Mike

Hologram
04-15-08, 09:55 PM
Well you should be taking rests, ie 48 hours between workouts, when doing the same muscle group. For example, I do 200 pushups every other day. Going to raise that number as soon as I get the number of sets down. Your muscles need time to recover. (edit: submitted before Echo Four Bravo's update)

After you give yourself a break with the pushups for a bit I would recommend "stew smith's" pushup program. It helped me get my sets down, and more than anything helped with wide grip pullups.

MikeStew Smith's pushup program? I'm kinda having the same problem so where could I find this program?

crazymjb
04-15-08, 10:12 PM
http://www.*************/Opinions/0,,Smith_082405,00.html

Apparently I can't link to Military . com, but just google it. "stew smith pushup program"

Mike

JoeInVille
04-15-08, 11:36 PM
I do 150-200 every single day. I never really found it necessary to rest except from doing pull ups and other sorts of muscle building activities. I dont really think you truly need to rest from push ups.

Bullpup
04-15-08, 11:45 PM
Anytime you work a muscle to the point that it is sore or you can't work it anymore then it needs rest. Pushups are not an exception. If you excersise correctly then you are actually physically micro-tearing your muscle. The time off allows the muscle to heal. The only thing that you can really do everyday is crunches/situps (without extra weight) because it is difficult to push your abs to an unhealthy limit but rests are still recommended.

JoeInVille
04-15-08, 11:58 PM
ohh ok, ty, I will start to rest my arms some. I never new I had to do that really.

Hologram
04-16-08, 12:18 AM
Anytime you work a muscle to the point that it is sore or you can't work it anymore then it needs rest. Pushups are not an exception. If you excersise correctly then you are actually physically micro-tearing your muscle. The time off allows the muscle to heal. The only thing that you can really do everyday is crunches/situps (without extra weight) because it is difficult to push your abs to an unhealthy limit but rests are still recommended.Yeah, a lot of times I'll get on a second or third set of pushups and I can actually feel the twinges from my muscles tearing every time I go up.

BadJustice
04-16-08, 03:17 AM
http://www.*************/Opinions/0,,Smith_082405,00.html

Apparently I can't link to Military . com, but just google it. "stew smith pushup program"

Mike

Thanks for that link. I can do about 60 in a set right now, but there is no hurt in getting that number up.

Reagan
04-16-08, 08:23 AM
Hmm. Seems that the general consensus is that I should do pushups for a day, rest a day, do pushups the next day, and so on. I'll give that a try then. Thanks everyone!

da Tiffinator
04-16-08, 09:06 AM
well i hold the push up and sit up record at my school. i can do 172 crunches and 130 push ups in 2 minutes. but keep working at it you will get there trust me!! it also helps to do your push ups where your arms are elevated higher than your feet.

Newski45
04-16-08, 09:22 AM
Yesterday was my first Marine Corps poolee family day, n' they had 2 drill instructors from MCRD SD, nothing I did so far really helped me with what they put us through yesterday, we must have did over 200 push ups within only like 10 mins, with jumping jacks, n' crunches stuck in there too, but it was hard doing that many push ups, ur arms get tired faster than you think, but when you have a D.I. in your face screaming at you, you somehow find enough energy to hit another 50. Man it was an experience though, can't wait till bootcamp though!

Nez46
04-17-08, 07:10 AM
Yes it is very important to rest. And if you feel a twinge in your muscles dont keep going like fool BE SMART!!! You could be hurting your self or daminging valuable muscles not work out hard yes, But be smart about it too.

Bacon0249
04-17-08, 04:31 PM
Buy a Bonzu half ball (google it) and with your feet elevated on a bench or something the same height assume the pushup position with your hands gripping the sides and do this every set to failure. Do this 3 times a week for 3 weeks. If you can do 20 like this it will equate to about 60-80 regular pushups. If you really want to push the limit on your last two sets have someone place a 25 pound plate on your back, between your shoulder blades, and rep to failure and while maintaining the pushup position on the ball have them remove the plate and begin again till failure. I would only recomend adding weight after doing this for two weeks.

Incase you are wondering I started doing this some time ago and currently I can easily do over a 100 pushup in one sitting. It is one of "staple" exercises in the gym. I also have a bad a** program for pullups incase anyone is interested.

Reagan
04-17-08, 04:52 PM
Looks like you guys were right. I took yesterday off from doing any pushups, and lo and behold, I was able to easily pump out 26 pushups this morning in my first set, compared to the 20 or 21 I could barely manage before. Thanks for the advice!

immaproshooter
04-17-08, 05:20 PM
Normally for my pushup form I keep my back totally straight and rigid, fingers spread on the floor,

just a lil heads up...start practicing know....a term ull learn to hate real quick is knife hands...everthign you do once you get to boot is with knife hands....yes,,knife hands....EVERYTHING....lol...so get use to doing pushups with your fingers sttraight and ajoined.....or when you sit in class room with heels together at a 45 deg angle and your hands on your knees fingers straight and ajoined.....saluting.....etc...

futuremarine129
04-17-08, 06:07 PM
For the past several weeks ever since I decided I want to enlist, at the very least 4 times a day I've been going downstairs to do alternating sets of crunches and pushups, only stopping when I'm physically incapable of doing anymore. I'm noticing my crunches are improving constantly (I'm no Abdominal Snowman yet, but I am able to get at least 60 in 2 minutes, when I was barely able to do 30 a few weeks ago and have been working a sit-down job for years), yet for some reason I'm having trouble getting out more than 20 pushups out in a single set, yet I've been doing them even more than I do crunches which are improving at a faster rate. I can do multiple sets if I get a few seconds or a minute to rest in between them, yet I seem stuck around the 20 pushup range, where my muscles just can't push anymore until I give them a few seconds to rest.

Normally for my pushup form I keep my back totally straight and rigid, fingers spread on the floor, then I go down until my chin touches the floor, then push back up while exhaling. I also stretch beforehand too. I'm 23, fairly slim - 6'2, 179 lbs or so. Kind of a Charlton Heston build with a decent chest and back, but always had thin arms, if that helps identify anything.

Is it normal for your pushup limit to take longer to progress than, say, crunches? Or could I be doing something wrong form-wise? Hopefully I'm just being impatient about getting stronger, but if I'm doing something wrong I want to fix it.
I have this same problem, on a good day, when I'm super motivated I can bust out around 45, then I'm done. however I can do 10-11 pull ups and a lot of crunches (which constantly increase as well) I hope some of this advice works, cause I got a friend who can do 99! He has no advice other than do the 5 minute SEAL leaning rest/pushups thing everyday except Sunday.

Nez46
04-18-08, 11:23 AM
There should no such thing as a good day. If you can do something one day and not the next its in your mind. I had that problem when i first started running. Good luck

ChuckR30
04-18-08, 11:34 AM
ive just learned to stay consistent doing pushups everyday really. pushups are something that take time to get your max reps up because you have to use alot of your upper body muscles.Unlike crunches which are just your abdominal muscles. just stay consistent with them and you will get better.

darkgreen0311
04-18-08, 12:03 PM
You guys also better work on bends and thrusts and mountain climbers.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOUR IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

Nez46
04-19-08, 01:07 PM
Ha i heard one time a DI had some recruits doing mountain climbers and he walked out of the room. When he came back in one recruit was standing up at the position of attention. The DI what at him and said recruit what the hell are you doing? The recruit replied sir this recruit has reach the top sir. The DI walked out of the room because he had to laugh. The DI came back in and said well you better get the hell back down that mountain. lol

immaproshooter
04-19-08, 01:19 PM
lol lets just say when you get to 3rd phase or at least near the end you start ****ing up alot on purpose just to get QD'ed cause it gets boring....

jrhd97
04-19-08, 03:58 PM
Just volunteer for Auto-pilot , if they still do that. Every time some one gets QD you go to.
Listen up to Darkgreen. You will do alot of Mountain climbers, bends - and - thrusts, hello dollies, monkey f*ckers. No amount of wieght lifting with your legs will pepare you. Start doing these ASAP.

SGT7477
04-19-08, 10:22 PM
Ready begin until I get tired.

Nez46
04-20-08, 10:45 AM
Yeah Sergeant sounds like fun. :evilgrin:

SGT7477
04-20-08, 02:43 PM
Yeah Sergeant sounds like fun. :evilgrin:
Now don't let me down Nez I do 200 pushups at the age of 52,lol.:evilgrin:

Nez46
04-20-08, 02:47 PM