PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew to 03xx

jungleman4422
04-15-08, 07:18 PM
I was wondering what some Marines and Poolees had to say about my thoughts. I want to be a pilot later in life but right now I have an urge to be 03xx really 0311 but whatever I get. Right now I have enlisted flight crew and I think it would be a blast and all but I really feel that a job in the back bone of the Corps would be an awesome well..... experience;). I just want to know what yall think would be a good idea, and how hard it would be to lat move to the Wing enlisted as Aircrew or if I wanted to be an Officer and fly.

Thanks for your time,

Daniel

Xebec
04-15-08, 08:28 PM
I'm no expert on the Corps, but common sense would say do what you can to get your degree so you can fly. From what I hear, it's not that easy to do so as an 0300. Then again I think if you have the determination to do what is needed to get what you want the most, which I assume is flying, then go 0300 if you can, this time of year I hear it's hard to grab those spots. Good luck in whatever you do.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-15-08, 09:45 PM
Moving from 03 to the wing wouldn't be that difficult when it came time to reenlist. To fly you're going to need a degree. That is difficult to do while you're in, no matter what your MOS is. So, you're probably going to be getting out and then applying to go to OCS or trying to go through one of the programs that will send you to school. Either way, you'd better be a great enlisted Marine if you want a shot at being an officer.

jungleman4422
04-16-08, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the answers I'm still churning the thoughts around in my head about this. I understand that it takes a lot to lead Marines and that is why I want to go enlisted first to not only learn about the Marine Corps but to have the experience that will help me if I do become an Officer.

Thanks Again,

Daniel

JordanB
04-16-08, 03:31 PM
dude its really one or the other. If you want to fly wait till you finish college and go in as an officer cause thats the only ones the Corps lets fly, if you want to be a grunt then you can join any time, but dont join as airwing enlisted because if you do you wont be a grunt or a pilot you will be a mech.

Wyoming
04-16-08, 04:23 PM
dude its really one or the other. If you want to fly wait till you finish college and go in as an officer cause thats the only ones the Corps lets fly, if you want to be a grunt then you can join any time, but dont join as airwing enlisted because if you do you wont be a grunt or a pilot you will be a mech.... BUT, iffen you were a Helicopter Crew Chief, you would fly, AND, on occasion, in the past, we would fly left seat. Even in the RVN.

KevinR90
04-16-08, 08:44 PM
I have the same ambition to become a pilot. While I know the Army lets Warrant Officers fly helicopters, I wanted to be a Marine more than a Pilot- though I knew I could eventually maybe become a pilot in the Marine Corps. So I kind of compromised. I decided to go flight crew. Though being a mech might give a slight advantage- hell, you'd know how the helicopter works and exactly what's wrong when something's not right (i assume officers learn that but whatever). I like to fly, and that's what I did. If you want to fly, but want to go infantry instead of be aircrew- and fly- I think it's kind of weird. I think a lot of people have the urge to be infantry and actually fight the enemy, but you have to do what you want most. It's up to you. Either way when you become a pilot I don't think they look at if you've been flight crew or infantry before becoming an officer. I've had this kind of discussion before. So If you want go infantry and later try to become a pilot- no matter what you do i think it's equally difficult.