PDA

View Full Version : Bush says there's some evidence Saddam dead or 'severely wounded'

thedrifter
04-25-03, 07:15 AM
Bush says there's some evidence Saddam dead or 'severely wounded'

April 24, 2003

WASHINGTON – President Bush said in a television interview Thursday that there is some evidence suggesting Saddam Hussein is either dead or "at the very minimum was severely wounded." Bush also said U.S. troops would remain in Iraq "as long as necessary."

Could that take as long as two years? Bush was asked by NBC "Nightly News" anchor Tom Brokaw. "Could – or less," Bush said. "Who knows?"

"People say the United States should leave. And we want to leave as soon as we've accomplished our mission," Bush said.

On another subject, Bush accused North Korea of being "back to the old blackmail game" in saying that it had nuclear weapons and might test, export or use them.

Bush's interview, made aboard Air Force One during a trip to Ohio in which the president promoted his tax-cut plan, was his first extensive interview since the end of major combat in Iraq.

As to criticism from Iraqis of the continued U.S. presence there, Bush said, "The point we're making is that the foundation for democracy is now being laid."

"There's nothing wrong with nationalism within Iraq," he added.

Bush was asked about intelligence on Saddam's purported whereabouts that led to a bombing raid on the first night of the war. "As the intelligence got richer, I got more confidence with the notion that Saddam would, in fact, be there," he said.

Saddam may have survived that attack, U.S. officials later suggested. Saddam and his sons were also the target of another U.S. strike.

"People wonder if he is dead or not. There is some evidence that suggests he might be," Bush told Brokaw. He added, "We would never make that declaration until we are more certain."

"But the person who helped direct the attacks believes that Saddam at the very minimum was severely wounded," Bush added.

Bush was asked whether he was concerned that neighboring Iran might try to make its presence felt in southern Iran. The administration has warned Iran not to interfere.

"We certainly hope that Iran will allow Iraq to develop into a stable and peaceful society," Bush said. "We have sent word to the Iranians that that's what we expect."

As to North Korea's latest disclosures, Bush said, "North Korea is making my case that we've got to come together" in talks aimed at curbing North Korea's nuclear program.

"One of our goals and objectives must be to strengthen the nonproliferation regime," he said. "The Chinese now for the first time are partners at the table. I look forward to hearing what the Chinese say about being rebuffed by the North Koreans.

"They, too, believe that peninsula ought to be weapons free," he said.

Sempers,

Roger

tommyboy
04-25-03, 02:55 PM
Thats interesting that Bush would come out and say that. I hope he is dead and that they can find hard evidence of it.