PDA

View Full Version : Meaning Of "once A Marine...."

DDBS225
04-15-08, 10:16 AM
Hello

I've been a Marine since early 2006. Recently, i got diagnosed with asthma and i am getting separated. I've never served overseas, or in a conflict. Pretty much I believe that i dont deserve the EGA, for i feel that i have never done anything significant in the Corps, and since im getting separated there is no way i cant contribute, all i ever did was train and thats pretty much it. So my question is: Does the "once a Marine, always a Marine" quote really apply to all Marines despite some being separated, even medically or dishonorably? I suppose you can also state what the quote means to you.

As for myself im just currently ****ed off the I cant serve till my EAS at least, but i can see where they are coming from for i would be a burden during combat, and possibly a body bag.

>Ceez

Isrowei
04-15-08, 10:27 AM
... Being a Marine doesn't mean that you HAVE served in combat. If that were the case, it would become a combat decoration similar to a CAR.

Being a Marine is a lifestyle... a mindset. And for that reason, yes, once a Marine... always a Marine. The strive to do the most with your life should never go away.

If you don't feel you've earned it, I feel sorry for you. Whoever sold this story about Marines only being Marines if they've seen combat is doing a huge disservice to the hundreds of thousands of Marines who legitimately earned the title and served their time with honor, yet never saw a second of combat.

PatriotGirl422
04-15-08, 10:31 AM
I can understand how you feel, but it is absolutely true that once you are a Marine, you are always a Marine. Nothing can take that away from you. This post reminds me of the "Are all Marines equal?" post that was started a while ago. You should read that.

jrhd97
04-15-08, 07:15 PM
Once a Marine, Always a Marine. So therefore you are a Marine. You made it through boot camp.
Not seeing combat doesn't make you not a Marine. If that were the case half the Marines here wouldn't be Marines. Marines don't not see combat due to there not wanting to. It is all luck or unluck of the draw determined by the politicians. All we can do is train and be ready.
You aren't being seperated through any fault of your own. You are beign seperated due to health. There have been thousands upon thousands of Marines through history who have been seperated on medical.
You are a Marine. Carry that pride with you, knowing you did something that 98% of Americans aren't willing or can't do. You are a member of the worlds greatest fraternity( stole that from a shirt on Sgt. Grit ).
SEMPER FI!

sparkie
04-15-08, 07:39 PM
Hey, Lunkhead. You are my brother. And that makes you What?????? Put it away, Lance. It don't fly with me and mine. SF.

outlaw3179
04-15-08, 07:48 PM
Semper Fidelis Marine.

ecfree
04-16-08, 08:46 PM
Hey DDBS225,look at it this way.
There are alot of wantabes in other branchs of the armed forces,that want to be U.S.Marines,but they knew they couldn't make it thru recruit training at PI or Hollywood.You did it....YOU ARE A U.S.MARINE.....and how can you forget it.
Once a Marine,Always a Marine....
CARRY ON MARINE.:evilgrin:

darkgreen0311
04-16-08, 09:36 PM
Yo, Bro keep your head up ask yourself did you go through the most intense training of your life and did you make it through. Well, if you answered yes than you know that you are a Marine and always will be. SEMPER FI MY BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!!!

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

Big Jim
04-16-08, 09:48 PM
Hello

I've been a Marine since early 2006. Recently, i got diagnosed with asthma and i am getting separated. I've never served overseas, or in a conflict. Pretty much I believe that i dont deserve the EGA, for i feel that i have never done anything significant in the Corps, and since im getting separated there is no way i cant contribute, all i ever did was train and thats pretty much it. So my question is: Does the "once a Marine, always a Marine" quote really apply to all Marines despite some being separated, even medically or dishonorably? I suppose you can also state what the quote means to you.

As for myself im just currently ****ed off the I cant serve till my EAS at least, but i can see where they are coming from for i would be a burden during combat, and possibly a body bag.

>Ceez

HEY...YOU BECAME A MARINE WHEN THEY HANDED YOU THAT EAGLE, GLOBE AND ANCHOR YOU EARNED, REMEMBER? THEY DON'T TAKE THAT BACK BECAUSE YOU ARE NOW AND FOREVER, A MARINE!! DON'T YOU FRIKKIN FORGET IT AND DON'T LET ANYONE EVER TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT! I WILL BACK YOU UP IN ANY SNOOP -N- POOP, BRAWL, CONFLICT OR WAR IN ANY FOREIGN LAND OR ANYWHERE! I MEAN THAT, BROTHER.....THAT GOES FOR ANY AND EVERY MARINE!!

egbutler1
04-17-08, 01:53 AM
In my opinion once you earn that EGA it is forever yours (that is of course you dishonor the Corps in someway). Going to combat doesn't make you a Marine. Man i'm no pussy but combat ****ing sucked,...

sdk87to91
04-17-08, 10:37 AM
Once a Marine always a Marine means alot of things to me. Whatever your skills and specialties you are probably in a mental state of readiness and if circum$tance$ allowed you would probably keep...

Camper51
04-17-08, 11:29 AM
You EARNED the title. It was not a gift, it was not arbitrarily given to you by some paper pusher, you EARNED the right to be called a Marine by completing the trials of bootcamp, therefore you ARE a...

Chumley
04-17-08, 11:58 AM
LCpl DDBS225, <br />
<br />
Sorry to share in your bad news! I suggest that you stop feeling sorry about this, and move on through life as you've learned to...as a Proud Marine. <br />
Once you've earned it, NO...