PDA

View Full Version : Hometown hero: "If I had the opportunity, I would serve again."

thedrifter
04-15-08, 07:39 AM
Hometown hero: "If I had the opportunity, I would serve again."
by Stacy Wilson
Vanguard Staff Writer

April 14, 2008 —

One of Saginaw's hometown heroes, Jeremy Tatum, returns to SVSU after serving in Iraq for seven months.

Tatum served in the Marines and was stationed in Fallujah, Iraq from September 2006 through April 2007.

"We performed security operations and citizen operations," Tatus said of his duties. "We built human relationships with local Iraqis."

He is relieved to be back home and is anxious for school. He is a criminal justice junior and plans to go to law school.

"The first things I did when I got back were eat some of mom's home cooked meals and have quite a few friends over," he said.

Aside from the lives that were lost, Tatum said that he does not regret serving in Iraq.

"All I thought was that sooner or later, it had to be over," he said.

Through the hardships, a few things kept Tatum going over the many months that he was there.

"Family was the main thing on my mind," said Tatum.

E-mails and phones calls helped to pass the time, he said.

There were many memorable times and close bonds formed between the troops

"It was different celebrating my birthday and holidays over there," he said.

Tatum expressed how the word "war" can imply misconceptions.

"Some people think everyone in Iraq is against America; however, it is not that heavily skewed. Some of the Iraqis do, in fact, want change," he said.

Like most people that return from war, dying was one of Jeremy's greatest fears.

"You're always wondering if today will be your day. No day is certain in the war zone."

Tatum's leadership is not only recognized by his family and friends, but also by the country.

"If I had the opportunity, I would serve again."

Ellie