PDA

View Full Version : True Brothers in Arms

thedrifter
04-25-03, 06:30 AM
Submitted by: Headquarters Marine Corps
Story Identification Number: 2003424125429
Story by Chief Petty Officer Al Bloom, Fleet Hospital 3 Public

SOUTHERN IRAQ (Apr. 24, 2003) -- The term 'a brother in arms' is one of endearment shared by those who have endured and truly understand the demands of conflict. To most, it signifies the closeness only achieved under fire. But for two young men serving in the U.S. Navy in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, it signifies a way of life.

"We've pretty much done everything together or at least shared most of the same goals," said Petty Officer 1st Class Roseller Flores, who is currently assigned in support of Charlie Surgical Company, 1st Force Service Support Group, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, and operating in Southern Iraq. "About the only thing we've done different is marry different wives."

Flores is describing his life-long relationship with his own brother in arms. Separated by a mere eight minutes at birth, Flores' brother in arms is his twin,
Petty Officer 1st Class Alexis Flores, of Fleet Hospital Operations and Training
Center, Camp Pendleton, Calif., and currently assigned in Southern Iraq in support of Fleet Hospital 3, the first Navy Expeditionary Medical Facility ever
constructed in a war zone.

After spending only a few moments with the Flores brothers, it's evident that the relationship of these true brothers in arms is clearly more profound than the unique closeness usually associated with being twins.

"We have the typical stories of helping each other against bullies at school," said Roseller.

"But when it came time to join the Navy, we decided we wanted to do it together," said Alexis, finishing his brother's thought.

"We've always wanted to do whatever we do together," continued Roseller in rapid fire. "We wanted to join the Navy, because as immigrants, we felt safer here in the States."

"So we wanted to join the service to have a sense of mission," finished Alexis.

Doing everything together can be a challenge when it comes to meeting the needs of the Navy, but somehow, from Navy Corpsman School and Fleet Marine Force School to the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines and several varied assignments on Camp Pendleton, Calif., these brothers in arms have been able to stay together throughout the vast majority of their career.

Born in Cavite City, Republic of the Philippines, virtually the entire Flores family has made the U.S. military a way of life.

"We have another brother who retired as a supply officer in the Navy," said Alexis. "Plus, our sister is married to a master chief in the Navy."

"In fact, our grandfather was a U.S. Army scout back in the Philippines," added Roseller.

While the Flores family is probably more aware than most of the dangers of a life of service, being assigned in Iraq is still a concern.

"Our families are very concerned," admitted Roseller.

"Especially, our mother," added Alexis.

"We all know this is a part of what we do," started Roseller.

"So we tried to reassure her that we're professionals," continued Alexis.

"And that it comes with the job," said Roseller.

Actually, this is not the first time the Flores family has had to grapple with the uncertainties of war.

It was during their assignment in support of the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines that the brothers found themselves in a similar position. Both were assigned to
a unit that would require them to move to the front lines against Iraqi forces, only this time, it was during Operation Desert Storm.

"We were ready to go," said Roseller, "but, they told us that one of us would have to go back."

"So we flipped a coin," explained Alexis. "I won, and he went back."

A coin flip won't be necessary this time. Once the construction of Fleet Hospital 3 is completed, Alexis will be returning to friends and family in the States.

Clearly however, a big part of him will remain in Iraq.

"It's very overwhelming," said Alexis after a short, orchestrated surprise visit with his brother in Camp Guadalcanal, Kuwait, just hours before Roseller's unit advanced into Iraq. "I'm concerned for him. He gave me a piece of his hair to keep in my Bible. I told him today that I will pray for him, and no matter what happens, our souls will always be together."

With that, Alexis took a deep breath, looked down and contemplated his brother's fate. After all, it's what you do when you have a true brother in arms.

Sempers,

Roger