PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bloodwork done at MEPS

ChuckR30
04-14-08, 05:11 PM
Ok ive never had bloodwork done to be tested for any HIV or STD's before. Im assuming i dont have any but I have been with my fair share of female friends lol and should one come up when would they let you know? I was at MEPS about two weeks ago and i am set to ship out 20080421 and my recruiter also asked me just last week if i wanted to leave sooner than i was scheduled to and that was after i went through MEPS So im assuming im all good to go but if not when would they let you know? when you talk to the doctor right before you ship out to boot at MEPS? or would they contact your recruiter before you even went to ship out?

jungleman4422
04-14-08, 05:20 PM
Well they will contact your recruiter before you ship and also you would get a letter in the mail. It's kinda like if you pop on a drug test. Now I dont know if you would be able to get a wavier if you did have an STD.

Marine84
04-14-08, 05:26 PM
LOL! Are you having any symptoms? Does it hurt when you p?

ChuckR30
04-14-08, 05:27 PM
no i know i wouldnt be able to have a waiver i was just wondering how they would let you know and how soon they would let you know about it. Ive just never had any type of HIV/STD testing done before. and I wasnt sure if they could tell your recruiter since that should be something confidential anyways. Im pretty positive idont have HIV but im just saying there is always that chance especially if you havent ever had a test done.

ChuckR30
04-14-08, 05:29 PM
LOL! Are you having any symptoms? Does it hurt when you p?

haha nope no symptoms and no burnin when i pee..just curious how that works out since ive never had a test done and i guess anything is possible lol just thinking it would suck to be at meps the day before you leave for boot and all of a sudden they tell you your permanently disqualified and youve just worked up yourself all this time especially after youve been to MEPS once and stuff lol

VIKDEM1ZE
04-15-08, 01:11 AM
I'm sure you will be just fine since you leave soon. I was actually a little scared of testing positive also even though I'm pretty damn sure I'm good to go. I just took the bloodtest last week. Keep your mind focused on boot camp, and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Zulu 36
04-15-08, 06:08 AM
Keep your weenie in your pants and you won't have to worry about these things.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-15-08, 10:51 AM
Wear a raincoat.

phantasm
04-15-08, 10:58 AM
Never go in the bush without protection.

ChuckR30
04-15-08, 11:14 AM
ok well obviously wrap up but that wouldnt help me after the fact of me already have been with the girls lol im just wondering when they would let you know if you tested positive on it. if it would be the meps doctors or your recruiter that told you.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-15-08, 11:18 AM
They will let you know. Not sure how MEPS exactly works it, though. But, they are required to inform you, usually it's by mail, and telling you to contact your family doctor.

Of course, it's an automatic DQ if you pop *hot*.

Chumley
04-15-08, 12:45 PM
Watch out for the crabbies...they itch like hell and they don't really add any flavor to speak of...

Camper51
04-15-08, 02:01 PM
They will notify YOU, not your recruiter. Privacy laws still apply...

davblay
04-15-08, 02:19 PM
Thanks to my fellow Marines for that information. Back in the mid 80s, when this was first becoming an issue, I was a recruiter. we were told that if one tested positive for what we called HTLV-III (HIV today) in those days, we recruiters would be notified to bring the prospect back to MEPS, only, and they would deliver the news, complete with councilors and all. We recruiters would have no idea what MEPS wanted, it was our job to deliver the person to them and they would do the work telling the person the results.

Like I said that was in 1985, I believe, and I didn't know if things had changed since then or not. Thanks for the update fellows.

Semper Fi

Dave