PDA

View Full Version : Best Time To Enlist?

thezero
04-14-08, 12:50 PM
Ok, my initial plan was to enlist at the beggining of my Senior year, which is around late September/early October and with the extended DEP program go to Boot Camp around November/December. But with my recent activities with the recruiters, they allowing me to go to family night and pool function. I have been talking to SGT Webb who is trying to get me enlist this June/July which would mean I go to Boot in July/August he has informed me alot about going to Boot during this time since this was the time that he enlisted/shipped out. I want to try to get as many opinions as I can, and use all the knowledge I can get to make my choice. I have talked to my dad (GYSGT RET.) SGT Webb, I am also going to talk to SGT Zammit, SGT McConnell and the Master Sergeant (I can't remember his name).

I am pretty confident that one of my parents will sign for me when the time is ready so that will not be a problem

Thanks, Matt

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-14-08, 01:02 PM
The best time to enlist is yesterday. However, since you let yesterday pass you by, better make sure you get it done today. Carry On.
:flag:

rsox353
04-14-08, 01:13 PM
I DEP'ed in September and i don't go to boot till May, originally July. If you are talking about DEPing in September 2008 then you won't go to Boot until you graduate, So next summer.

thezero
04-14-08, 01:17 PM
The best time to enlist is yesterday. However, since you let yesterday pass you by, better make sure you get it done today. Carry On.
:flag:

If I would I could, but I am only 17 and a Junior, the earliest I could enlist is May.

I DEP'ed in September and i don't go to boot till May, originally July. If you are talking about DEPing in September 2008 then you won't go to Boot until you graduate, So next summer.

I know when I will end up going, I am asking for information and opinions to see which would be better.

KevinR90
04-14-08, 01:21 PM
well I think it doesn't relly matter. There might be different times for bonuses or a specific MOS- But that's more of when you ship and not when you enlist. It completely up to you. If you're not going to reenlist, the longer you stay in the more time gets taken off your contract for being in DEP- though that doesn't matter to me:). Don't you have to have both parents sign the contract unless one of them is dead?

phantasm
04-14-08, 01:24 PM
well I think it doesn't relly matter. There might be different times for bonuses or a specific MOS- But that's more of when you ship and not when you enlist. It completely up to you. If you're not going to reenlist, the longer you stay in the more time gets taken off your contract for being in DEP- though that doesn't matter to me:). Don't you have to have both parents sign the contract unless one of them is dead?

The other doesnt have to be dead, just has to be out of your life. When I did my initial Naval enlistment in 1999 just my mother signed because my father had been out of my life for at least 14 yrs. She signed and all was right with the world, except that I signed a contract for the Navy. lol. It was still fun and I enjoyed it.

mudvayne
04-14-08, 03:08 PM
I think the new fiscal year starts in either october or november. So job choices could be slim. I would talk to a recruiter if I were you. The longer you're in DEP the better off you'll be in boot.

sawatzke82
04-14-08, 03:37 PM
I joined last May at the end of my junior year, and when October came around I had priority in MOS selection. This full year in the DEP has really helped alot too. So my opinion would be to go ahead and join, but in the end its up to you.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-14-08, 06:02 PM
The fiscal year is from October to October.

Sam331
04-14-08, 06:13 PM
Despite what a lot of people might tell you, when you ship out is important, try to avoid leaving before the holidays, because spending the holidays there makes it even more depressing. Also It gets very cold at Parris Island during Nov-Jan so take that into consideration, dont need added stress of weather if you can avoid it. After bootcamp the weather doesnt matter lol. Life after boot from what I'm told isnt as stressful as bootcamp.

Camper51
04-14-08, 07:27 PM
Despite what a lot of people might tell you, when you ship out is important, try to avoid leaving before the holidays, because spending the holidays there makes it even more depressing. Also It gets very cold at Parris Island during Nov-Jan so take that into consideration, dont need added stress of weather if you can avoid it. After bootcamp the weather doesnt matter lol. Life after boot from what I'm told isnt as stressful as bootcamp.

Trust me you will have NO time to miss the holidays and get depressed. I went in on Nov 11th and graduated in January so I missed Turkey day, Christmas and New Years. I was so busy I did not have time to do anything except worry about getting the hell out of bootcamp. The only way I knew it was a holiday was that training was suspended (like a Sunday) and a better than average dinner for evening chow. This was in 68/69 but I would bet my left nut it hasn't changed that much over the years...

KevinR90
04-14-08, 09:24 PM
Christmas in boot camp......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3rAecySP8I

Sam331
04-14-08, 10:08 PM
Lol I went in Nov 14 Sgt. missed the same holidays you missed. Alot of recruits found it depressing though , including myself. Just hits you harder, makes missing home and all. But after a while you realize that your platoon is your family. The recruits to your left and right can very well be your brother, your SDI will be your dad and your DIs are the uncles lmao .

immaproshooter
04-14-08, 11:45 PM
If I would I could, but I am only 17 and a Junior, the earliest I could enlist is May.

I know when I will end up going, I am asking for information and opinions to see which would be better.

since age isn't a restriction if you can get parents permission and all...school is a restriction though ya you cant enlist yet..but just because you cant DEP in yet doesn't mean you cant request to PT with the poolees that are already DEP'd in....

VIKDEM1ZE
04-15-08, 01:04 AM
For me, I don't care about the special bonuses, etc.., I just wanted to enlist ASAP so I could gurantee myself a job I loved. I believe the sooner, the better. Spots fill up, so make sure to get what you want.

thezero
04-15-08, 12:01 PM
Also It gets very cold at Parris Island during Nov-Jan so take that into consideration, dont need added stress of weather if you can avoid it.

How cold would it get. I live in Maine so cold doesn't really affect me.

since age isn't a restriction if you can get parents permission and all...school is a restriction though ya you cant enlist yet..but just because you cant DEP in yet doesn't mean you cant request to PT with the poolees that are already DEP'd in....

I have been. I went to the pool function last month, and last Thursday I went to family night. They warmly welcome me since my dad used to stop in frequently. I always try to talk to the recruiters when they visit and plan on going to Pool functions from here on.