PDA

View Full Version : Rare current issue USMC uniform item

Sgt Leprechaun
04-14-08, 11:20 AM
Courtesy of Jaroslav, a Marine Collector in the Czech Republic, posted on the US Military Forums.

This is an extremely rare piece, still used today. It's the USMC Boat Cloak!

According to other posters, these cloaks are hand made and cost upward of 600 dollars EACH.

Speculation is that this Marine served as an aide in some capacity for a LtGen, because of the aguilletes.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_04_2008/post-31-1208020180.jpg

Here is the section of the regulations pertaining to the Boat Cloak:

3003. BOATCLOAK/DRESS CAPE (See fig. 2-1.)
1. The boatcloak, made of dark blue broadcloth material lined with scarlet wool broadcloth, is an optional item which may be worn by male officers and SNCO's with evening dress and blue dress "A"/"B" uniforms for official and social functions. It will not be worn when the blue dress uniform is worn as the uniform of the day.

jackson07
04-19-08, 10:23 AM
That is crazy. I have never heard about that. Very good find Sergeant.

testforecho2112
04-19-08, 10:31 AM
Wow, any luck finding a picture of it actually being worn? I did a quick search, but didnt come up with anything...

yellowwing
04-19-08, 02:21 PM
Here's the prints of USMC Evening Dress, including the Boat Cloak.

jrhd97
04-19-08, 03:35 PM
I've seen that pic in a book, but never have seen it being worn.

Petz
04-20-08, 11:09 AM
I'm sure it's still in the order, most of those things are never taken out of service since it's steeped in tradition. thing is who's gonna wear it when other stuff is just as nice and more readily available?

I think it's nice, and if I rode a horse I'd say hell yes... however I'd get looked at funny.

rvillac2
05-06-08, 10:46 AM
I can picture a group of NCOs in these cloaks wearing their swords underneath. Seriously old school.

MarineNCO
05-06-08, 11:15 AM
I can picture a group of NCOs in these cloaks wearing their swords underneath. Seriously old school.

Is this for any Marine? NCO? SNCO? Officer? Please advise.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-06-08, 11:46 AM
003. BOATCLOAK/DRESS CAPE (See fig. 2-1.)
1. The boatcloak, made of dark blue broadcloth material lined with scarlet wool broadcloth, is an optional item which may be worn by male officers and SNCO's with evening dress and blue dress "A"/"B" uniforms for official and social functions. It will not be worn when the blue dress uniform is worn as the uniform of the day.

This quote from the first post pretty well answers that question.

silverdollar
05-11-08, 09:48 AM
Batman was a Marine.:marine: