PDA

View Full Version : A special day at site of famed battle

thedrifter
04-14-08, 09:31 AM
IN MY OPINION | ROSS OVERBY
A special day at site of famed battle
Retracing the steps of fallen Marines on the black sands of Iwo Jima

Sixty-three years ago, a single battle of World War II defined the sacrifice for freedom unlike any other in history.

This was the battle for Iwo Jima, where about 7,000 Marines died in less than a month while taking the island from the well-entrenched Japanese. For the last 13 years, veterans and civilians have gathered to remember the sacrifices made for our freedom, and the freedom of mankind, symbolized by Iwo Jima.

This year I had the honor of joining the Reunion of Honor held in the Western Pacific.

For a week, veterans of World War II, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War, and the war in Iraq joined with appreciative civilians to remember and honor the fallen and the few remaining survivors of the battle.

More than 100 veterans were present. Thirteen actually landed on the black sands of Iwo Jima 63 years ago. We traced the veteran's footsteps through Saipan, Tinian, Guam. Then on March 12, we flew to Iwo Jima. Americans are allowed access to the island only one day each year through a treaty with Japan.

Iwo Jima is a small, lonely, desolate island where the souls of those thousands of U.S. Marines and more than 20,000 Japanese soldiers left this earth. It is devoid of trees and flowers. The smell of sulfur fills the air. Each step along the black sand beach revealed enough rusting metal fragments and decaying implements of war to fill a five-gallon bucket.

I stumbled upon pillboxes that once housed weapons trained upon our soldiers. All I heard was wind and the waves upon the beach. Today there is nothing but silence.

Iwo Jima is an icon of bravery and sacrifice. As I walked the beach, I thought about thousands of U.S. Marines huddled in foxholes beneath my feet. I could see corpsmen running to a wounded soldier, men sacrificing all so I could freely set foot upon their now-hallowed beach.

As I climbed Mount Suribachi, I could not fathom how the Marines did the same under the fire of war. I stumbled upon hidden caves that once held the enemy. At the top, on the spot of the immortal flag raising, is a monument built just a few months after our Marines took the island. I now carry a flag that I opened and flew at that very spot.

I got to know the 13 veterans of Iwo Jima. Their return to the site of carnage where so many of their comrades were lost 63 years ago was surprisingly serene. Now all well into their 80's, these men were at peace with the sacrifice and the loss that remained in their hearts....

On the flight back, I thought of the veterans of Iwo Jima. I looked at each and recounted their stories. Not stories of their time on Iwo, but of their lives. Each had come home to find love and marriage. They had their careers, raised families and now had grandchildren and even great-grandchildren. They had lived whole lives, lives of peace built upon the altar of sacrifice.

I brought back sand from the beach of Iwo Jima. I will visit each VFW post in the Charlotte area to offer a vial of sand for the post in honor of all veterans. I know of no other way to show appreciation for the fallen other than to remember, honor and cherish the sacrifices they made.

IN MY OPINION | Ross Overby
Ross Overby, 50, of Marvin visited Iwo Jima earlier this year. A Democrat, he's running in the May 6 primary for U.S. Congress, 9th District.

Ellie