PDA

View Full Version : Heroes on the Homefront: Friends in Service

thedrifter
04-14-08, 09:08 AM
Heroes on the Homefront: Friends in Service

Posted: April 13, 2008 11:09 PM

Updated: April 14, 2008 07:58 AM

As our troops go through rigorous training and even tougher battles at war, they first turn to
one another for a helping hand. That's the case for two local marines with years of friendship.

Katy and Lance Corporal Dustin Handley married just before he first deployed to Iraq three years ago.

Katy said, "It makes me feel extremely fortunate that he made it back, extremely blessed. We had a lot of people praying for him."

Though Dustin's decision to join the Marines was his own, he had support and encouragement from an old friend.

"I was taking time off of school after 9/11," Dustin recalled. "Matt had gone in and I saw the good things it had done in his life."

Corporal Matthew Branch said, "When he finally made the decision I was completely behind him. I knew it would be a good thing for him."

Branch attended Kearney High School with Handley almost a decade ago. They were in band
together back then, but weren't particularly close. Now after both served tours of duty in
Iraq, they have a lot more in common.

"Haircuts are probably the biggest thing," said Dustin.

"There's a big hole that 's filled when you have that communication with a brother that you can just hang with, talk with, be with," said Branch. "It's definitely a blessing to have."

Though Branch is two years younger, he joined the Marine Corps two years before Handley.
Still the two can always find ways to one-up the other.

Handley said, "The only time I give him a hard time is because I was active duty and he was reserves. It's just a Marine Corps thing."

Reporter's Notes by Crystal Calloway:

Both Handley and Branch are now attending the University of Nebraska at Kearney where they are helping each other re-adjust to school and life at home after serving multiple
tours of duty in Iraq.

Handley also spent time with training with the Israeli Special Forces.

Ellie