PDA

View Full Version : Friend remembers a fallen comrade in letter

thedrifter
04-14-08, 08:25 AM
Friend remembers a fallen comrade in letter

By Diane Saunders
Staff Writer

Mac Hartman, a United States Marine sergeant who lost his life in Vietnam, has a friend who won’t let his memory die — a friend whose haunting remembrance of the war and Mac’s death was left at the traveling Vietnam War Memorial in Firth Park.

A battered Vietnam-era combat cap with a sergeant’s pin was found at the wall, which was set up in the park for more than a week. A hand-written message to Mac accompanied the cap.

Titled “‘Bout Time This Hat Came to Rest,” the message describes the last few moments of Mac’s life and the valiant effort of his friend to save him. The complete text of the message follows:

“Sgt. Mac Hartman, respected squad leader for Charlie Co., 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines, came to (the) same squad, same unit to take over (as) leader after his brother was killed. His squad (was) known as ‘Hartman’s *****s,’ of which I was one.

“(He) was killed by 155 rounds from American artillery ‘by mistake’ in predawn light (in) late fall, early winter of 1968 on an operation. (He) was killed in his sleep — I was 2 feet away, next to him, when the artie started coming in. Shrapnel to the heart — I tried mouth-to-mouth without any luck.

“Hey Mac — I know you are free. I’m doing better all the time. I miss you still, man, almost 40 years later. Some of us vets have made it home better than others. Many are lost and their souls are still on patrol in the jungles, although physically they are back in the world.

“I saw a lot of guys die from our own rounds. Such a shame! Now we’re trying to end another unjust war based on greed.

“I have seen the enemy, and it is us!

“Peace, Mac,

Another grunt”

This remembrance was among several left at the wall, said Buddy and Charlotte Reynolds, who were instrumental in bringing the American Veterans Traveling Tribute to Safford.

Buddy and Charlotte said up to 54,000 people visited the exhibit, which was set up in Firth Park on March 29. Busloads of schoolchildren visited the exhibit — many of them bringing flowers or plants that were left at the wall.

“There were so many kids out there you couldn’t even walk,” Charlotte said.

Friends of other fallen Vietnam soldiers and Marines left items — boots, flowers and hats.

The exhibit has moved on — first to Huachuca City for two days, then to Tucson for three weeks.

Though the exhibit has moved on, it will not be forgotten — just as Mac’s friend will not forget him.

Ellie