PDA

View Full Version : How Come?

kubba
04-24-03, 05:24 PM
How come with over six thousand registered members I only see a small portion of members?
This place should be jumping with activity.
Unless, I just do not know yet how the site works

Stan:banana:

tommyboy
04-27-03, 08:41 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I belong to several other forums (car,trucks ect.) and there far more active. Got an awful lot of veiws with limited replys here. But so far i really like what I see...quality posts with some great replies. Im glad I stumbled on this site!:D :D :D

firstsgtmike
04-27-03, 10:40 AM
kubba,

I've asked myself the same question a hundred times. I've even posted it once or twice.

What I have learned is:

Some people have limited access to computers, so they download stories, messages, etc. that they want to read and are unable to respond.

Other people are too shy to comment more than a thumb's up.

Some disagree with some posts, but don't want to get into a firefight.

Comparing the number of posters with the number of "members" leads me to believe that MANY people signed in, and are long gone.

I'd be willing to bet that the number of "members" would be reduced consideraly if we were given a thirty day reenrollment period.

On the other hand, I've noticed posts finally originating from members who joined seven or eight months ago.

I just thought of another question, but I'll put it in its appropriate forum.

This may not have answered your question, but you are not alone in your concern.

All of that being said; I still honestly believe that THIS is the best Marine Corps oriented site on the Internet.

Also, I believe it has the most up-to-the-minute military news posts than any other site on the Internet. Easy to find, easy to read, easy to request e-mail notification of later posts.

And I'll leave you with this thought:

If each of us were perfect
and no one had a fault
existence would be savorless
and life would lack its salt.

The hungary mouth of scandal
would starve to death indeed,
and in the daily papers
there'd be nothing fit to read.

They speak of saving virtue
but merit has no spice,
what rescues us from boredom
is someone's saving vice.

lurchenstein
04-27-03, 11:14 AM
How come with over six thousand registered members I only see a small portion of members?

Welcome aboard Kubba & Tommyboy! Good to see you here as well Firstsgtmike.

I stop in at least once a day (haven't missed too many, but still fairly new here). Sometimes I'm inclined to comment, sometimes not. Collectively, several of the Leatherneck.com membership (particularly the moderators) provided damn good war coverage (I seldom watch TV & trust the info here).

:marine:

greybeard
04-27-03, 11:43 AM
This is not unusual. I belong to a Pontiac Fiero forum that has 7000+ registered members-there are probably around 200(tops) active posters.

The same holds true for the largest Marine helicopter website. Several thousand registered members, but only a few active posters.

I can't say if it's true for everyone, but there seems to be a period of time after leaving active service that Marines lose a little of their interest in the Corps. Maybe they are too busy trying to make a living, but one day, something happens, and it all comes streaming back to ya.

You have to realize that Vietnam era Marines are in their 50's & 60's. Many have gone on to serve with Chesty. Same holds true with WWII & Korean War vets. Active duty people get transferred, lose their access, busy doing more important things right now. (Like kickin Iraq's as*) Lots of reasons.

Another thing is, there are quite a few Marine websites out there. Each has it's own appeal, it's own style. I belong to 4 currently, that I post on daily. Far and away, this one has the best combination IMO. News, commentary, humor, support, heck, I can even get a weather forecast.

thedrifter
04-27-03, 12:24 PM
We have more Posts, more Threads with less Members than other sites..............

Many Members like to come in and browse and read, but they don't like to post. They still feel this is their Marine Home and do enjoy coming here.

There are many Marines who for one reason or another have drifted away..........But they do/or will come back.........

Many of our Marines are now deployed for Operation Iraqi Freedom..........Just think of the stories they can tell when they return home.........

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

MillRatUSMC
04-27-03, 04:11 PM
I hope that some of this might answer "How Come?"
People like to lurk.
How long have you lurked before jumping in?
It takes time for people to become comfortable in any forum.

(A general purpose listserv rule of thumb seems to be 1 poster for 10 lurkers.)
So 6,000 should translate to 600 posters.
Than dividing 600 posters by 10 we now get 60 posters.
Dividing 60 posters by 10 we now have 6 posters on a message board.
Give or take a few.
It's about average for any given day.

Reasons some lurk instead of posting on any given message board.

It's not only women who cheer from the sidelines, of course.
Men seem to consider it their prerogative, no guilt attached, whether they choose to lurk or contribute to discussions.
Far more often than women, they say they stay silent because they have business reputations to maintain.
Or they confess, privately, that they don't understand why people online give away what they know for free.
An online custom women don't question.

Despite their growing popularity.
Online networks are still predominantly male enclaves, some with a male-to-female ratio of more than 9:1.
Women who go online sometimes say they feel like they're eavesdropping on men's club talk or locker room conversations.
So, some women remain lurkers.

X muses, "I can't lurk, and some can't post."
Perhaps, as a psychologist who hangs out in message board maintains, "It's just like a ball game. There are participants and there are spectators.

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom,
can never be restored.
Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
~ John Adams ~

Freedom
"Those who take freedom for granted,
Would be dependent,
On those brave souls,
Who are willing to pay the price for it.
And the price of freedom,
Will be paid at times unexpected,
By heroes,
Who didn't know they were."

For ye shall know the truth,
and the truth shall set you free.

“The only requirement for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing”
~ Edmund Burke ~

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Sparrowhawk
04-27-03, 06:54 PM
Most of my post run in a series, like the pic's from the Iraq war, or the Vietnam diary.

When I red an interesting story I respond.

Lots of other forums are more like glorified chatroom, its not like that here.

I've notice here, there seems to be more substance with the posts. some are pretty contained and others more chat room like, morning coffee and Open for Business for example.

What I have noticed is that those that do post come back and check to see what response others have posted, and those post pop up here and there.

It all depends on the topic, then every once in awhile there is a run on a subject, like other sites.

Perhaps that's why you don'tsee the firefights found in other forums.

But post an interesting subject and you get some great response's

One of these days I'm gona buy me keyboard that spels eveythig I wants to say correctly...LOL

tommyboy
04-27-03, 07:09 PM
I kinda lost interest in the Corps and tried to put it in the past...but with iraq it has come flooding back and I searched out some forums. I have to say this forum is by far the best. The "other" ones are full of flames and wanna be's, so this one and a desert storm dedicated site are the ones Im visiting.
Semper Fi,
tommy:D :D :D

kubba
04-28-03, 03:33 AM
Thanks guys for the feed back all makes sence.
I am allways willing to talk to another Marine cause thier the only ones you can really relate too.
I also belong to several forums and so far this is the best. To many civies and wannabees on the others. Not that I mind ,I have talked with some high school kids getting ready to join the corps and it feels good knowing the tradition will still go on.
Gung Ho
Semper FI
Do or Die
stan