PDA

View Full Version : Laundry?

benw2200
04-13-08, 02:25 PM
This might be a stupid question.. but how does laundry work at recruit training? Is every recruit responsible for his/her own stuff or is all dirty laundry washed together?

This also sounds pretty rideculous to ask.. but how often do you change your socks and underwear? I think it would be a bit nasty (not to mention unhygenic and possibly asking for infection) to wear the same sweaty socks and stuff for days at a time.

Seoke
04-13-08, 02:43 PM
Actually, this question has perked my interest now too. I know they USED to (but again this was more then a decade ago when my uncle went through) His company had to wash all of their stuff on washboards and a bar of laundry soap lol but I don't think they make you do it like that anymore.

Seoke
04-13-08, 02:49 PM
[DGardner] 11:48 am: it's done in a
washing machine, you will get a bottle of
tide when you get there, along with a
whole laundry bag of hygeine #$%^&* and
stuff
[DGardner] 11:49 am: you only wach
socks and #$%^&* in the squadbay
[DGardner] 11:49 am: your cammies
are sent to a laundry facility on base to be
washed

drwilkinson
04-13-08, 03:20 PM
This might be a stupid question.. but how does laundry work at recruit training? Is every recruit responsible for his/her own stuff or is all dirty laundry washed together?

This also sounds pretty rideculous to ask.. but how often do you change your socks and underwear? I think it would be a bit nasty (not to mention unhygenic and possibly asking for infection) to wear the same sweaty socks and stuff for days at a time.

All laundry is washed together (shirts, shorts, socks, skivvies) and laundry is the responsiblity of the rifle watch. Just be prepared to lose everything lol It doesn't matter if your name is on your ****, you'll wake up the next morning and none of your clothes returned! lol

sparkie
04-13-08, 03:52 PM
No more concrete outside sink and a scrub brush? Next they'll be takin the bucket away.

Big Jim
04-13-08, 05:06 PM
No more concrete outside sink and a scrub brush? Next they'll be takin the bucket away.

I remember those Wisk and scrub brush days at the concrete sinks! We gave a few Wisk and scrub brush showers like that to a chosen few who wanted to stink!! Hell, we didn't even have brooms or mops...everyone just gave up one towel and we used dry ones for the brooms and wet ones for the mops! They were called "decksnakes"!! Since we lived on the second deck, (2nd Bn), we had to make a relay line to the recruits at the outside sinks washing and rinsing these decksnakes to be passed up by throwing them to the next recruit on the stairs so another recruit can put it on the deck and hold it there and run up and down the squadbay!! I remember that squadbay deck, including the quarterdeck, being so damn clean you can literally eat off it!! That was everyday, too!! Fun, fun, fun!!!

BR34
04-13-08, 05:09 PM
Actually, this question has perked my interest now too. I know they USED to (but again this was more then a decade ago when my uncle went through) His company had to wash all of their stuff on washboards and a bar of laundry soap lol but I don't think they make you do it like that anymore.

Yep, because in 1998, there were no washing machines. Your uncle is either a liar, or a damn funny joker!

sgt tony
04-13-08, 05:16 PM
Heck I lived in a Quonset hut and the concrete sink was a Sunday break to wash my clothes, that and church

darkgreen0311
04-13-08, 05:34 PM
Yeah, Big Jim i remember a bottle of wisk and a scrub brush on the cement sinks it seemed like hours being out there. Every sunday, man that takes me back.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

mudvayne
04-13-08, 05:36 PM
They would take laundry up on tuesday and thursday. All of our green skivvies would go in mesh bags and tie a knot in them and our cammies would all get thrown together in big laundry bags. Just make sure you tie the knot tight in your mesh bag so you don't lose your stuff. We washed our white socks and jocks in the squad bay and it doesn't matter if you write your name on those cause you'll never get the same one twice.

We used the concrete sinks out in the wash racks when we got back from the crucible and BWT.

Seoke
04-13-08, 05:39 PM
Yep, because in 1998, there were no washing machines. Your uncle is either a liar, or a damn funny joker!

#1 I'd watch who you're calling a liar, considering he's an E-7 now (kinda disrespectful to be saying he's a liar) , and I said OVER a decade as in I'm not sure how long ago it was that he went through boot but I know it was over a decade ago.

Big Jim
04-13-08, 05:47 PM
Yeah, Big Jim i remember a bottle of wisk and a scrub brush on the cement sinks it seemed like hours being out there. Every sunday, man that takes me back.

Yeah, brother, Wisk was used to strip our boots, floor soap, soap to clean the showers and heads and whatever else needing scrubbed clean...including heavy shampoo in getting the sand fleas and crabs off when we all caught it running through the swamp!! I didn't know Wisk had so many uses!! LOL!! I don't know bout you but my scrub brush was wore down to the wood come 3rd phase!!

Big Jim
04-13-08, 05:49 PM
#1 I'd watch who you're calling a liar, considering he's an E-7 now (kinda disrespectful to be saying he's a liar) , and I said OVER a decade as in I'm not sure how long ago it was that he went through boot but I know it was over a decade ago.

Watch youself. boy...be careful what you say here...

darkgreen0311
04-13-08, 05:56 PM
You know Big Jim i had forgot about stripping our boots down with wisk.

Wyoming
04-13-08, 05:57 PM
No more concrete outside sink and a scrub brush? Next they'll be takin the bucket away. Damm, what next???

Heck I lived in a Quonset hut and the concrete sink was a Sunday break to wash my clothes, that and church. Right on, Brother!

Big Jim
04-13-08, 05:59 PM
You know Big Jim i had forgot about stripping our boots down with wisk.

Yeah, I always could spitshine reall good and there were 2 of us that had to do our guide's boots cause the retard, (prior service, Navy), didn't know how!! I did it half-assed, good enough to pass, but I didn't want to!! He was from Boston, Mass., and he was retarded, man! I'll remember that til the day I die!! We had to break his boots all the way down and start from scratch! This was 2nd phase inspection, I think!

SlingerDun
04-13-08, 06:01 PM
Wisk, They must have had the market cornered at recruit depot cause i don't recall seeing Tide or All on the shelves and why didn't they never let us use any bleach? afraid some ass hole would drink it? What the hell there was ammonia in the whiskey locker. Our skivvy t's were maize yellow come 3rd phase

darkgreen0311
04-13-08, 06:08 PM
Yeah,fellas i think the Corps must of had stock in wisk.

Seoke
04-13-08, 06:31 PM
Watch youself. boy...be careful what you say here...
Sorry SGT, Didn't mean to offend or disrespect anyone, escpecially not a Marine, just saying, he shouldn't be talking bad about someone who outranks him quite a bit =/ My Uncle earned that title and the last thing he needs is someone who doesnt know him even hinting at the fact that he might be a liar. Again, sorry, just standing up for my Uncles honor sir.

bucksgted
04-13-08, 07:14 PM
What's Wisk?? We were issued sand soap, scrub brush and a bucket. As I recall, there were no concrete sinks either. I seem to remember they were wooden racks that had a cold water spicket over each rack. Everything was scrubbed with sand soap including that occasional scum bag that didn't want to shower!! Those ties on the waist band of the skivies were for hanging up wet laundry. Everything else was just tossed over the lines to dry.

Remember it like it was yesterday. Wait, in my mind it was yesterday.

BR34
04-13-08, 07:34 PM
Kind of sensitive there aren't you, Seoke? I didn't realize you said over a decade ago. I said he was lying OR just ****ing with you. Odd how you somehow missed that second part.

#1 I'd watch who you're calling a liar, considering he's an E-7 now
I'd watch how you talk to Marines on this site. You don't tell me what I need to do. I respected these Marines when I was a poolee on this site, and respect them more today, and I'll be damned if you think you're special because your uncle is a Gunny. You're still a poolee, just as common as all the others that have graced this site. Act like it.

dmdenike
04-13-08, 07:38 PM

Your uncle should have taught you some respect. Every time I see a post that you have replied in your very rude to the Marines on here. To GET respect you have to GIVE it.

Your unlce may be an E-7 and BR34 a LCPL, but remember BR34 is a LCPL and your JUST poolee.

fs19
04-13-08, 09:26 PM
Your uncle should have taught you some respect. Every time I see a post that you have replied in your very rude to the Marines on here. To GET respect you have to GIVE it.

Your unlce may be an E-7 and BR34 a LCPL, but remember BR34 is a LCPL and your JUST poolee.

:thumbup: Some great advice- advice that we (Poolees) should all follow

Zulu 36
04-13-08, 09:29 PM
Wash day in 1971

semperfi170
04-13-08, 10:35 PM
#1 I'd watch who you're calling a liar, considering he's an E-7 now (kinda disrespectful to be sayinghe's a liar) , and I said OVER a decade as in I'm not sure how long ago it was that he went through boot but I know it was over a decade ago.

Listen up, your uncle was probably pulling your leg! Second of all poolee your uncle was not an E-7 except for pay purposes! He was a Gunnery Sergeant. Marines are not referred to by paygrade except for pay purposes.

Seoke
04-14-08, 01:32 AM
Sorry SSGT! I won't make the mistake again!

BR34
04-14-08, 05:18 AM
That's a Gunny you're talking to, Seoke.

SgtHopperUSMC
04-14-08, 05:59 AM
I remember those Wisk and scrub brush days at the concrete sinks! We gave a few Wisk and scrub brush showers like that to a chosen few who wanted to stink!! Hell, we didn't even have brooms or mops...everyone just gave up one towel and we used dry ones for the brooms and wet ones for the mops! They were called "decksnakes"!! Since we lived on the second deck, (2nd Bn), we had to make a relay line to the recruits at the outside sinks washing and rinsing these decksnakes to be passed up by throwing them to the next recruit on the stairs so another recruit can put it on the deck and hold it there and run up and down the squadbay!! I remember that squadbay deck, including the quarterdeck, being so damn clean you can literally eat off it!! That was everyday, too!! Fun, fun, fun!!!We did the same thing. I also remember taking the rifles down to the back of the chow hall and cleaning them in boiling water. That was in 1986

Quinbo
04-14-08, 09:02 AM
Just wait till you turn in laundry on ship. You jam everything in a laundry bag then pin it with a giant safety pin. Laundry bag and all is tossed in a giant washing machine the size of a volkswagon. Never fails that some forgot to take the cammie stick or the pen out of their pocket and half the bags come open. Then there is a giant pile of half dry, covered in camo paint, and ink, with copenhagen crumbs to sort through for your stuff.

Quinbo
04-14-08, 09:13 AM
I ended up with a really bad stencil and as a boot Marines would read the back of my t-shirt at PT and thought my name was Dunn. One day the SSgt said just how many Dunns do we have in this platoon. Everybody had on one of my t-shirts LOL.

semperfi170
04-14-08, 07:59 PM
Seoke - I am a Gunnery Sergeant not a Staff Sergeant! I suggest you study your rank structure!!!!

Zulu 36
04-14-08, 08:09 PM
Seoke - I am a Gunnery Sergeant not a Staff Sergeant! I suggest you study your rank structure!!!!

DOH!:(

Seoke
04-14-08, 09:37 PM
Oh crap lol sorry Gunny >>

Wyoming
04-14-08, 09:53 PM
Oh crap lol sorry Gunny >>

Dipshiz!!

... and this is the same sookie that is never wrong, and loves to talk back.

How does it feel sook, to have one broke off where the Sun don't shine?

RYDERKUR
04-14-08, 10:50 PM
Hey poolee, you don't rate to call him gunny, try gunnery sergeant, especially after you ****ed up as blatantly as you did. 15 pushes for the **** up, 15 for the Gunnery Sergeant, and max out for the Corps