PDA

View Full Version : Deployment Availibility

FeMzZ
04-12-08, 09:26 PM
Today we had a poolee meeting in which we learned about a few combat weapons used by Marines and how to break down the M9 and M16 and we got to put on the combat gear(vest and helmet) and then we ate MRE's for lunch. During a demonstartion one of the instructors mentioned something about Marine Combat Training(MCT). I never hear of this before but this got me thinking. I joined the Corps for a challenge, and to be able to fight alongside other Marines defending my country. There are several other reasons but those were up there on the list and are very important to me. I'm not the type of person who can sit around for too long when I know i should be doing something else. The MCT got me thinking on how long it would be until i am able to reach my goal(because it must add a few months or weeks to my training) and become a combat Marine and be able to defend my country with my own 2 hands. I dont like the idea of be stationed on a base while there are other Marines out risking their lives so i can sit there in air conditioning emailing my family and friends. I spoke to a former Marine(atleast he said he was) and he said i would go to MCRD for 13 weeks, go to SOI for a few weeks depending on my 03 code and then he said i could end up being deployed after that. I knew it didnt seem possible because if i become a rifleman that means i would have been in the Corps for about 17-20 weeks and then i am already going to combat by late 2008. My main concern with this is not only reaching my goal, but my motivation. I have very strong motivation provided for me by a "friend" and i am worried that if i spend months and months training while i desire to be able to be deployed, i may lose this motivation and then i dont know what to do. I know i will be able to still push myself but she is what pushes me the most now and i dont want to lose motivation before i even need it the most.

So can a Marine please tell me what training i would have to go through first in order to ship please? I know theres Boot, SOI....and then i am lost. Also, would it even be possible for me to be availible to ship in late 2008 like he said?

RYDERKUR
04-12-08, 09:31 PM
Hold your horses there killer. I don't know everything, but I'm sure more experienced Marines will add. You go to boot, SOI, your fleet unit, and then when they are ready to deploy you will go to Mojave Viper, a pre-deployment training. Oh, and you will lose your motivation, its your job to not let it drop low and to bring it back up. Believe me, there are always things that will demotivate you, but its the Marines Marine that is able to bring himself up and out of it.

Seoke
04-12-08, 09:41 PM
03xx Don't go to MCT they go to SOI then they're put in the fleet =P SOI = Infantry Version of MCT

SlingerDun
04-12-08, 10:09 PM
Been self employed about 1/2 my life with nobody dragging my ass out of the rack on wet miserable mornings, here's a few tippers on motivation: Tip, Continue education towards your goal(s) Get better. Seek out sources and people that know more than you do -they are everywhere- if not... left behind, stagnation, loss of interest -motivation-. Tip, Incorporate checkpoints along the way to see how far you have come and for a more clear idea of whats ahead. Marines do it, checkpoints reduce vast areas of mystery and probability where motivation is smothered by uncertainty followed closely by hopelessness. A good time to see whats left in your ruck. Tip, relax and have patience, time slips away from both the tortoise and the hare, I been playing the Oregon Lotto since 1984? Got another ticket tonight:cool:

--->Dave

249gunner
04-12-08, 10:25 PM
Dude...like I keep telling Poolees, you dont know what you want yet. Hell I still dont. I still cant make many judgements and Im done with all the training.
The combat training you get in bootcamp aint sh*t.

Its just marksmanship and some table 4 CQB shoots.
It is nowhere near what you will go through. I'll spare you now..bootcamp is a joke compared to whats coming to prepare you for Iraq.

FeMzZ
04-13-08, 01:11 AM
well i am young but i know what i want. I am training now for the Marines and i told my reruiter, after he offered me all kinids of other bonuses, that i didnt care, i want Infantry. He got me infantry and now it is my job to show i can be a combat Marine. Im not here to have fun, people dont join the Corps for fun, i am here to defend my country with my own 2 God given hands because i dont want my country to turn into what we are fighting against. I dont want fellow Americans living in fear because those sons of *****es think they can "scare" us with terrorism and i know they will have to go through me first to do so. Theres nothing else i would rather do than be in combat with fellow Marines defending my country, i had many options but chose 1, the Marine Corps. I dont think i need to go through why but right now i cant even stand it that i am not out helping the other Marines that are deployed and once i earn my EGA im going to be so motivated i will feel ready for combat but then theres the so and so amount of weeks or months where i may be on a base doing exactly what i would rather not be doing(referring to after SOI training)

JoeSzynal
04-13-08, 07:46 AM
Femzz think of it this way. I would have no use for you in Iraq without the basic training you get before the fleet. Even after Mojave Viper you will still be a boot who would need supervision with the seemingly harmless tasks. You should not be in such a rush to skip passed it while you can take advantage. Also, prepare yourself for the reality that you may be sent to a unit that does not deploy to any combat zone throughout your entire four year enlistment. I've seen it happen to an entire company in my Bn. I deployed to Iraq twice, they cruised on a ship and then were the remain behinds.

dmdenike
04-13-08, 07:58 AM
03xx Don't go to MCT they go to SOI then they're put in the fleet =P SOI = Infantry Version of MCT

Thats where you're wrong. ALL Marines go to SOI. Infantry Marines go to ITB (Infanty Training Battalion) and Non-Infantry Marines go to MCT (Marine Combat Training).

FeMzZ
04-13-08, 10:54 AM
Femzz think of it this way. I would have no use for you in Iraq without the basic training you get before the fleet. Even after Mojave Viper you will still be a boot who would need supervision with the seemingly harmless tasks. You should not be in such a rush to skip passed it while you can take advantage. Also, prepare yourself for the reality that you may be sent to a unit that does not deploy to any combat zone throughout your entire four year enlistment. I've seen it happen to an entire company in my Bn. I deployed to Iraq twice, they cruised on a ship and then were the remain behinds.

Well how long is Mohave Viper? I am not some nervous kid who will be scared to do this or who would mess up when asked to do that, i know what i joined the Corps to do. I just pray that i dont end up getting stuck somewhere because then i know i will hate it and still be waiting for the day where i can ship

chili77bowl
04-13-08, 11:24 AM
ATTENTION POOLEE'S:

You have to get past SOI first...and in Pendleton..that's harder than it seems...

249gunner
04-13-08, 12:32 PM
Well how long is Mohave Viper? I am not some nervous kid who will be scared to do this or who would mess up when asked to do that, i know what i joined the Corps to do. I just pray that i dont end up getting stuck somewhere because then i know i will hate it and still be waiting for the day where i can ship

Thats the thing...listen to stories from other boots.
You will mess up, and if you loose sleep over what some SGT or CPL said about you being a ****bird then things are gonna be even harder for you.

No one is born for this, they just do their best to prove it.
That attitude ****es off NCOs when you say..."yes SGT I know that" when being corrected. And even when u become a senior LCPL, it doesnt mean you wont be making mistakes.

Its a huge mindf*ck and I honestly think you wont talk about patriotism with other fleet Marines, only amongst civilians when u come back home for vacation or something.

Isrowei
04-13-08, 01:10 PM
One thing you will learn in this Marine Corps is patience. Events NEVER happen on your schedule. Don't expect them to.

It's great that you have ideals that you're joining up for, but the Marine Corps has a process to prepare Marines to fight... or do other jobs. Like every other Marine... you will go through the process. And you will be assigned as the needs of the Marine Corps sees fit. That may mean you are deployed to a combat zone, or not. If your only reason for joining the Corps is to fight in combat, then you're going to be in for a sore disappointment. A better investment of your time might be walking through downtown LA with a racial T-shirt on.

Relax, sit back, and take the time to learn what is going to be presented to you. When you are ready to be deployed, and if there is still a need.. you will be sent.

FeMzZ
04-13-08, 10:28 PM
I know the training is inevitable, but i woud like to atleast know what the minimum time would be until i can be deployed. Because me personally, if i could i would give a percentage of my pay to be able to stay and fight with fellow Marines until the War is over. I know everyone likes to use their vacation, which i would too, but i would not feel good about myself if i was sitting on base knowing "im here relaxing and getting paid just as much as the other Marine who is overseas praying to live another day". I dont know what i would do but i know i would not be able to just sit there and say "well i'll be there in a few months or maybe even over a year from now, its ok"....because its never too early to help your fellow Marine especially in combat

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-13-08, 10:57 PM
The thing you have to understand is that what you want doesn't mean a thing to the Marine Corps. The best interests of the Corps will always come before your desire. You can have an idealistic view of combat all you want- but this isn't a playstation game. Before you are capable of doing anything other than getting yourself and other Marines killed you have to be trained. Boot camp doesn't teach you to function in a combat environment- it teaches you how to be prepared to be taught. If you went from boot camp to Iraq the results would not be good.

Once you get to SOI they will teach you the basics. Upon graduation you will be a basically trained infantry Marine. Once you're in your unit you have to learn your standard operating procedures (SOP) and how the members of your fireteam and squad function. Once you have that under control you are getting close to being ready to deploy.

It is possible that you would get sent to the fleet after SOI and your unit is getting close to a deployment. But, more than likely you will have time to train with and get to know the Marines in your new unit. (And of course, you have to play the "games" that boots get to play.) You may not like it now, but as you mature in the Marine Corps it will make total sense to you.

For what its worth, if a girl has anything to do with your decision you need to rethink. There is no booty on this planet worth doing something you're not sure you'll want to do a year from now- especially since you can't just quit and walk away if you don't like it.

egbutler1
04-13-08, 11:56 PM
Slow down "killer" there will always be a war to fight. First off let me tell you this and i'm sure any Marine Combat vet would tell you the same and if they don't they are full of ****. War is not fun, fighting for your life and watching some of the best men you know die is not fun. I am no pussy and I have the awards to prove it (if that even means anything) but war is over glorified. Almost getting your head blow off isn't fun. Having your gut rattled by an IED isn't fun. Watching people suffer isn't fun. That said you cannot speed up your training and get deployed any faster than you should, hell i think you will be deployed OCONUS into a combat theater way, way to fast. Needless to say I admire you willingness to fight for this great country your just a little naive (that will change once a bullet rips past your head) your time will come and you will be well trained for it, so keep motivated and you will get your chance to follow in all of our footsteps.

FeMzZ
04-14-08, 01:27 PM
The thing you have to understand is that what you want doesn't mean a thing to the Marine Corps. The best interests of the Corps will always come before your desire. You can have an idealistic view of combat all you want- but this isn't a playstation game. Before you are capable of doing anything other than getting yourself and other Marines killed you have to be trained. Boot camp doesn't teach you to function in a combat environment- it teaches you how to be prepared to be taught. If you went from boot camp to Iraq the results would not be good.

Once you get to SOI they will teach you the basics. Upon graduation you will be a basically trained infantry Marine. Once you're in your unit you have to learn your standard operating procedures (SOP) and how the members of your fireteam and squad function. Once you have that under control you are getting close to being ready to deploy.

It is possible that you would get sent to the fleet after SOI and your unit is getting close to a deployment. But, more than likely you will have time to train with and get to know the Marines in your new unit. (And of course, you have to play the "games" that boots get to play.) You may not like it now, but as you mature in the Marine Corps it will make total sense to you.

For what its worth, if a girl has anything to do with your decision you need to rethink. There is no booty on this planet worth doing something you're not sure you'll want to do a year from now- especially since you can't just quit and walk away if you don't like it.

No its not like that. I was joining no matter what. She just motivates me to get through the struggles. She didnt motivate me to join, she motivates me to succeed and make something of myself.

Crusader20
04-14-08, 02:21 PM
[quote=FeMzZ]I know the training is inevitable, but i woud like to atleast know what the minimum time would be until i can be deployed.

Ok. I read this post thinking that you would get it at some point.

You will never know how much time you will have. you will have to get through boot and then SOI to get to the fleet. Then the needs of the Corps comes first. You may be assigned a unit that will deploy soon, but that is after all the "training" (that you don't want to do, it seems like) needs to take place.
One person wrote it correct. You are no good to anyone, if you don't have the basics down first.

BUT to answer your pressing question, Plan on not seeing "combat" for at least 1 year from your sign up date.:devious:

249gunner
04-15-08, 04:15 PM
No its not like that. I was joining no matter what. She just motivates me to get through the struggles. She didnt motivate me to join, she motivates me to succeed and make something of myself.

She can motivate you alot and she can de motivate the hell out of you when she leaves. And you're gonna be fckn disoriented then.
Youre probably lucky to have one, I sorta wish I did back then, but for now ,during my 1st deployment...I'll listen to NCOs who tasted that pain.

Nez46
04-16-08, 11:19 AM
My MOS is 0321. Im almost postive i will see combat in my career sometime, however if the goverment pays me and the troops get pulled back to the states im fine with that too. I have talked to alot of combat hardened Marines and they told me im not missing nothing. So honestly it would not bother me at all to go a year or maybe more in the Marines without seeing combat.